Punch Bags.......

K

kdmthai

Hiya All,

Just got my 1st punch bag for home, what do you recommend to fill it with?

Kev

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
oohh, you didn't get one that was already filled...

well, you can shred up some old cotton fabric and stuff it, or Like Drac suggested, use sand...

Caution with sand: make sure it is CLEAN and DRY. If you just fill it with sand off the beach there is likely to be lots of little bits of dead sea creatures mixed in with it and after a while it will start to smell pretty bad. If it's damp, you will probably have a mold/mildew problem. I'm not sure how to make sure it is clean and dry enough...

Most bags I have seen have come already filled by the manufacturer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
oohh, you didn't get one that was already filled...

well, you can shred up some old cotton fabric and stuff it, or Like Drac suggested, use sand...

Caution with sand: make sure it is CLEAN and DRY. If you just fill it with sand off the beach there is likely to be lots of little bits of dead sea creatures mixed in with it and after a while it will start to smell pretty bad. If it's damp, you will probably have a mold/mildew problem. I'm not sure how to make sure it is clean and dry enough...

Most bags I have seen have come already filled by the manufacturer.
Even if you buy supposedly "clean" playground sand -- you really need somewhere with controlled humidity to let it dry before you pack it into a bag.

Generally, I recommend buying a filled bag. That way, you know whatever is used is clean & dry -- or can blame someone else if it's not!

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You can use several different things, like old rags, old clothes, cellulose insulation (not itchy), fine sawdust. If you use sand, do not fill the entire bag with it. Use only about 20 lbs in the bottom of the bag the fill the rest with something else. The sawdust or cellulose work the best.

Latest Discussions