Proposed new WTF competition rules

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
3. colored uniforms?
4. leniency if someone is going for a fancy technique
8. added points for difficult moves
13. No penalties shall be given to contestants who act showy, such as shouting after an attack, as these are considered part of the sport's appeal to spectators.

All of these a paraphrased except for No. 13. I couldn't cut/paste from the site.

:angry: Sounds like things are moving away from the art and sport aspect and in to WWE territory.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
first to 12 win or a 7 point difacite I guess i can't spell this morning. flying techniques will score higher. and the hands will be in play yea!!!!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of several of these before. Some I like. Some make no sense to me.

1. Shrinking the competition area. Why? The actual competition area is the same, they're just reducing the area around it. ???
2. Dropping rounds from 3 min to 2 min. Makes sense. More/faster action.
3. Colored uniforms. Pleeeeez. Why not just add glitter?
6. Simplifying penalties. Such as what? As with the rest of the outline, this is all very vague.
7. Gloves (Designer?) Why? We aren't allowed to hit.
9. No more neg pts., only pos pts. 6 of 1/half dozen of the other in my mind. Just causes higher scoring matches. Yippee.
11. 2 more weight classes. There's too many already.
12. More selection of hogu sizes. FINALLY!
14. Electronic truck protectors have been tried and failed many times before. Keep trying. I think it's a good idea. I'd rather rely on that than your average 13 year old judge.
15. Increasing judges from 3 to 4. It's hard enough to find quality judges now. Why would we do this?
16. Referee review board. Good idea. Accountability is never a bad thing. Now how 'bout the aforementioned judges.
17&18. Point disparity and point ceiling. Why would you make new rules to increase scoring and then put ceilings on it? Totally obsurd. Pick one or the other.

I don't think any of these change the dynamics greatly. As much as I love to spar, I would like to see full range punching (if we have to wear gloves) and takedowns incorporated. That'll never happen though. Too "graphic" for the Olympics. I feel that the competitor is slowly being forced into the back seat. It should be all about the competitor, not the crowd. If we were dropped from the Olympics tomorrow, I wouldn't care at all. I'd still love to spar.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I've heard of several of these before. Some I like. Some make no sense to me.

1. Shrinking the competition area. Why? The actual competition area is the same, they're just reducing the area around it. ???
2. Dropping rounds from 3 min to 2 min. Makes sense. More/faster action.
3. Colored uniforms. Pleeeeez. Why not just add glitter?
6. Simplifying penalties. Such as what? As with the rest of the outline, this is all very vague.
7. Gloves (Designer?) Why? We aren't allowed to hit.
9. No more neg pts., only pos pts. 6 of 1/half dozen of the other in my mind. Just causes higher scoring matches. Yippee.
11. 2 more weight classes. There's too many already.
12. More selection of hogu sizes. FINALLY!
14. Electronic truck protectors have been tried and failed many times before. Keep trying. I think it's a good idea. I'd rather rely on that than your average 13 year old judge.
15. Increasing judges from 3 to 4. It's hard enough to find quality judges now. Why would we do this?
16. Referee review board. Good idea. Accountability is never a bad thing. Now how 'bout the aforementioned judges.
17&18. Point disparity and point ceiling. Why would you make new rules to increase scoring and then put ceilings on it? Totally obsurd. Pick one or the other.

I don't think any of these change the dynamics greatly. As much as I love to spar, I would like to see full range punching (if we have to wear gloves) and takedowns incorporated. That'll never happen though. Too "graphic" for the Olympics. I feel that the competitor is slowly being forced into the back seat. It should be all about the competitor, not the crowd. If we were dropped from the Olympics tomorrow, I wouldn't care at all. I'd still love to spar.
Gimini remember the punch is going to start to score like in point sparring without the stopping of the match, that is why they are making gloves now.
Terry Lee Stoker

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Gimini remember the punch is going to start to score like in point sparring without the stopping of the match, that is why they are making gloves now.
Terry Lee Stoker
I'd heard thatTerry, but you're still only allowed to punch to the padded hogu, which being nothing new, I don't understand the need for gloves. Do you know the reasoning behind it? Maybe harder punching? :idunno:

doc clean, It's not so much how big, but the shape. Hogu's are fit by the length of the torso, not the girth, so you could have 2 guys with the same length torso get fitted "properly" with the same hogu even if 1 is 40 pounds heavier than the other. I have the new style with the shoulder padding that wraps all the way around. Even when laced to it's tightest, you could still slide your arm between my back and the hogu. (not that I want anyone to try) :)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I'd heard thatTerry, but you're still only allowed to punch to the padded hogu, which being nothing new, I don't understand the need for gloves. Do you know the reasoning behind it? Maybe harder punching? :idunno:

doc clean, It's not so much how big, but the shape. Hogu's are fit by the length of the torso, not the girth, so you could have 2 guys with the same length torso get fitted "properly" with the same hogu even if 1 is 40 pounds heavier than the other. I have the new style with the shoulder padding that wraps all the way around. Even when laced to it's tightest, you could still slide your arm between my back and the hogu. (not that I want anyone to try) :)
Yes harder and also to the head in the 14-17 year old and up I was told by another source.
Terry

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gloves? Good grief. With the headgear, mouthguard, hogu, arms guards and shon/instep guards, I already feel like a Stormtrooper out there.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gloves are a must when hitting to the head with hands. I wonder if they will consider cage headgear someday. Our dojang had been hitting to the head for four years now with gloves. I suppose the colored uniforms are to tell the opponents apart easier. Wonder what changes are for the new women's uniform--higher V neck, darts, less material? I don't mind as it is though. But they they definitely don't fit all women with sizes 3-7 especially matching pants to top.

Glad they are doing more than 3 judges and a referee board. I like that the penalities for instance, for no action after a setup would go to the opponent.
Sounds like the changes will make competition alot faster and more exciting with more jump, flying kicks. Positive changes! TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Yes harder and also to the head in the 14-17 year old and up I was told by another source.
Terry
I've only heard that as a rumor. If that's ever really adopted, I can certainly see the need for the gloves. Especially if it's my head gettin' hit. :). I just don't believe it'll ever happen.

TW - How have you found that changes the dynamics from traditional WTF rules. I imagine a great deal.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I've only heard that as a rumor. If that's ever really adopted, I can certainly see the need for the gloves. Especially if it's my head gettin' hit. :). I just don't believe it'll ever happen.

TW - How have you found that changes the dynamics from traditional WTF rules. I imagine a great deal.
I know Gemini, my feeling exactly. I wrote anothe rpost about where TKD is heading, my assumption is more like old PKA events from the seventies and eighties.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I know Gemini, my feeling exactly. I wrote anothe rpost about where TKD is heading, my assumption is more like old PKA events from the seventies and eighties.
Terry
Re-inventing the wheel, eh? I hope not. I know rules have to change with the times and I have absolutely no problem with that. What I worry about are the motives behind the changes. I love TKD and will practice it til I can no longer walk. Because of that, I'm probably a bit cynical when it comes to issues like this. I'm gonna go look for your other post.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gloves are a must when hitting to the head with hands.

I would agree, if they took away the headgear. Hitting padded areas with padded weapons seems kinda silly, though.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Gloves are a must when hitting to the head with hands.

I would agree, if they took away the headgear. Hitting padded areas with padded weapons seems kinda silly, though.

The head is not completely padded with headgear. For instance, throw a hook and instead of catching on the side it goes to the nose. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amateur boxing has both head gear and gloves also. I can't imagine even if they did take up the gloves it would be to discard the head gear.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini TW - How have you found that changes the dynamics from traditional WTF rules. I imagine a great deal.[/QUOTE said:
Maybe Terry will write more about this--explain to us who weren't in that time, about PKA events in the 70's and 80's.

I would imagine the dynamics to be changed considerably too. It demands alot more risk. You got two minutes, can't stall, can't fake alot. Both competitors can try more jumping, spinning, flying kicks for more points. Even get rewarded for "trying". Can't keep the hands down as the punches etc go to the head too. Match continues on from the point of penalty, no falling down unnecessarily. I'm not at all for under 18 getting hit to the head though. Would hate to see "junior rules" change. TW

J

JanneM

The gloves are very thin. I think they are eaven thinner that in UFC.

I believe that gloves are introduced because of the up coming electronic hogu.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The gloves could also be used to prevent cuts. If they are going to allow punches to the head and just generally allow more punching, they probably want some kind of padding on the knuckles to reduce scrapes and cuts, which makes sense. If they are going for faster paced and more exciting competition, stopping the match to take care of the blood leaking on your opponent from your hands would be counter-productive.

Latest Discussions