Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read this and I believe it is a great rule, just to make sure.
Terry

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I read this and I believe it is a great rule, just to make sure.
Terry

So you agree with testing *every* female, in spite of the possibility they may not have "played" before the competition?

What test would be equivalent for the men (and not women), of equal value, that they should take before every competition? This rule seemed a bit too one-sided to me. I'm all for safety, but I would say it should be up to the females to handle their own safety--if they find out they are pregnant, they voluntarily refrain from competition.
- Ceicei

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
What test would be equivalent for the men (and not women), of equal value, that they should take before every competition?
- Ceicei

Why should there be one?

I'm not saying I agree with the pregnancy testing rule, I'm just trying to figure out what testing men has to do with this rule. Thank you.

:asian:

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I handle a lot of the paperwork for a few pro-fighters in our club. Before every fight they have to have certain medical tests as well. Of course they don't have to have a pregnancy test, but the others (depending on what commissions rules they are fighting under) are non-negotiable. I suppose this falls under the commissions role in making sure that it is safe for all fighters to compete and anything that may impair them or cause harm to them, be it broken noses, a recent concussion, vision impairment, or even a pregnancy may be part of the criteria for refusing them clearance.

I understand that in the US this may be expensive, so I can't understand why a home pregnancy test administered with a commission representative (much like doping test are done with a rep there) wouldn't be acceptable.

Of course this is all for professional fighters. I would have a really hard time if they started demanding pregnancy tests for regular tournaments. That would be exclusionary as there is no corresponding check for male competitors health conditions.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's unconstitutional-and unsupportable.

In the industries that I've worked in, where workers can potentially be exposed to levels of radiation and contaminants that will damage a fetus, a pregnant woman is neither obligated to inform her employer be assigned duties that won't expose her for the duration of her pregnancy. Such a requirement is a violation of labor law-silly as that may seem to some. I think the same labor law applies to professional fighters as well, and if a woman wants to fight this it will be shot down.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder if its paranoia on the part of the commission maybe...

"I was wrestlin', an I was pregnant, an I lost mah baby, so now I gots me a lawyer t sue you, cuz y'all didnt stop me"

kinda thinking...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
if they find out they are pregnant, they voluntarily refrain from competition.
- Ceicei

Heh... you are assuming that wrestlers can think... :D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also find it interesting that no mention was made of proving use of contraceptives - no contraceptive is perfect, but then again, no pregnancy test is perfect either. It is my personal opinion that this is an illegal breech of privacy, especially if the commission isn't going to pay for the tests. I would think that a liability waiver would suit the same purpose - even if liability waivers aren't worth the paper they're printed on (and they're generally not) - what's to stop someone who doesn't have the $60 from getting a fake doctor's note? Or just working something out with the doctor? While I understand the motivation behind this, I find the methodology questionable, at best.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If that's the mindset then it follows logically every single participant, male or female, should be subjected to a full physical and psychiatric eval before each match, to prove that their is nothing going on inside them that would make them a risk to themselves...or anyone else.

Latest Discussions