principle in sentence

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
its been years since I posted.
Just wondering, if other MA, modern or traditional, has similar teaching principal with ours, which is in form of sentence.
just for example:

"straight against oblique, oblique against straight".
one of the application of that is like when we receive attack from north to south, then we block, counter or move from center to north east/north west/south east/south west.

or "keep the dead dead, change what is still alive".
one of the application is like when we are in arm bar, we keep our arm to be in stalemate, and move our body to be in a position that the arm bar became ineffective.

anyone else has similar principles of teaching?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
its been years since I posted.
Just wondering, if other MA, modern or traditional, has similar teaching principal with ours, which is in form of sentence.
just for example:

"straight against oblique, oblique against straight".
one of the application of that is like when we receive attack from north to south, then we block, counter or move from center to north east/north west/south east/south west.

or "keep the dead dead, change what is still alive".
one of the application is like when we are in arm bar, we keep our arm to be in stalemate, and move our body to be in a position that the arm bar became ineffective.

anyone else has similar principles of teaching?
Sure.... The below is a brief list of stuff that comes out of my face on a regular base during class. Obviously an amalgam, so while you folks can probably spot from where (meaning art/style) each saying/principle comes from, I talk about them all at the same time as I've found them to "work together."

Stand up straight.
Keep your hands in your center, get their hands out of theirs.
Keep moving, the first one to stop moving is dead.
Your center below theirs, until they're broken down. Then, feel free to crush them.
Hands up And out of the way. (Not in order, at the same time)
Push, don't pull. Pulling puts the guy on top of you.
Get behind the arm, arms are dangerous. (feel free to substitute legs)

And so on...