Prenatal Notions Give Right For Abortion?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's this clip in the news about a new prenatal test for Down's Syndrome. Apparently, it's safer to take a blood sample from the pregnant woman and run it through some gene-sequencing tests. The previous method was a direct needle into the amniotic fluids, potentially harming both mother and child.

That brought to mind the question: what if the child has Down's Syndrome? Is there anything you can do? So what's the point? If you find out your child will have Down's in the first few months of a pregnancy, would you terminate it?

Down the rabbit hole a little further...

Say that a whole new set of gene-sequencing tests crop up. These tests can look for any genetic defect, physical setback, or (let's just go all the way) detect potential IQ range. Those are just a few examples.

If you found out that the maximum potential age for your child was 25, would you abort the child during pregnancy? What if your child's fetus was screened and found to have a 95% potential to be a serial killer?

A little further...

Now, if you could change the child's condition in utero, through gene sequencing, would that classify as abortion? You're aborting a potential life; maybe one that you would not prefer for your child, but it's still that kid's life and you're ending it for an "easier" route.

Would you make your child a Superkid?

Back at home base...

I know that gene sequencing is no new concept, but the potential for modern medicine to peer into future possibilities is within our grasp. What kind of moral judgments would you sacrifice when this medical "gray area" hits? What kind of problems would arise from your choice?

(yes, before anyone asks, I did watch Gattaca recently.)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a couple not so long ago who wished to ensure their child was deaf like they are.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll respond only to part of the post here. The purpose of the test is preparation. Will your child need special care? Can you afford that care? Can you emotionally provide the extra care that a special needs child entails? Should you consider putting the child up for adoption? Should you have an abortion? All of the questions are ones that need more than a moments notice to figure out... Especially in those first crucial moments after birth. ANY information about the potential health of your unborn child is a bonus. Forewarned is forearmed.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting sci-fi take on this is the movie Gattaca. In the real world, though, sex selection via abortion is already rampant in China and India, to name two examples, and is causing problems in the former (too few spouses for the males).

Still, it's easy to see wanting the best genes for your kid as an extension of wanting the best schools, etc.

OP
N

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But is that moral? Say every other country starts doing that. Their people are hardier, potentially more intelligent, and physically stronger/faster/better. Do you think there will be a time when this kind of thing will come to a head?

I'm concerned about conservative Christians' point of view on this:

Is it okay to let the world "advance" and remain "behind" due to your beliefs (if I'm assuming correctly the conservative Christian POV would be against in utero manipulation)?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
A very thought-provoking thread.

Essentially, the discussion is one of screening fetuses for potential 'deficits' -- I use that term guardedly, not offend the parents of disabled children -- then exercising ones legal right of choice as to whether the pregnancy should continue or not.

The thing about choice (which I support) is that I don't have to like the reasons for that choice. Where I live women can walk into free-standing abortion clinics and end a pregnancy without explaining themselves to me or anyone else. I don't know if they've raped by a family member, or a stranger. I don't if they're concerned about an apparent family medical condition. I don't know they can't afford a kid, or if they simply don't want one.

If I accept the notion of choice, the rest is none of my business.

Breeding super humans makes me queezy and sad, but it doesn't surprise me when I see the contortions some parents will go through to have their child be seen as "successful" or "special" by everyone else. Some parents choose to micro-manage a child's schooling and activities; others will definitely want to fiddle with genetics.

It's all easy for me to say. My wife and I got pregnant on purpose and managed to raise a healthy boy and watch him become a wonderful young man. We're very fortunate.

Having known families -- both deliriously and terribly sad -- with profoundly disabled children, I'm in no position to judge.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It makes me uneasy to think that we as humans could do such a thing (end a childs life because we saw it as unperfect) I however am pro choice and if a person does choose that it is up to them. For me, when i become preg, and someday i will(hopefully) i will refuse any and all testing, from the most basic test to the more complex does your baby have any form of defect tests. Because it would not matter to me one way or another the test result would not affect me carring to term, so why stress myself out about knowing. I dont even want to know the gender. You only get a few true surprises in life... why not enjoy them?

Latest Discussions