Practicality

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay so I've been looking into learning Aikido, there are so many things that intrigue me with this art. Flowing, passive aggressive, respect, tradition, relying on intelligence not brute force and I could go on and on. I have gone to a few different classes here in my area of Orange County Ca., I have also looked at many many books, and videos on the art.

I come from many different arts mainly Muay Thai and Wing Chun, not to mention in my younger days just being a general punk kid, I got into my fair share of confrintations and fights, so I know a thing or two about what really happens in a real fight not the dojo.

My conserns are when I see a demonstration I see the sensei being charged then he holds out his arm and the attacker (charger) grabs his arm! I don't know how this would work in real life. DO you train against "real style" aggression, i.e, jabs, hooks crosses things you be more likely to encounter?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay so I've been looking into learning Aikido, there are so many things that intrigue me with this art. Flowing, passive aggressive, respect, tradition, relying on intelligence not brute force and I could go on and on. I have gone to a few different classes here in my area of Orange County Ca., I have also looked at many many books, and videos on the art.

I come from many different arts mainly Muay Thai and Wing Chun, not to mention in my younger days just being a general punk kid, I got into my fair share of confrintations and fights, so I know a thing or two about what really happens in a real fight not the dojo.

My conserns are when I see a demonstration I see the sensei being charged then he holds out his arm and the attacker (charger) grabs his arm! I don't know how this would work in real life. DO you train against "real style" aggression, i.e, jabs, hooks crosses things you be more likely to encounter?

Do you think that what is shown in a demo is the same as the art itself? My school does Aikido, and it is far some that kind of thing. It starts like that, but it never stays like that.

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you think that what is shown in a demo is the same as the art itself? My school does Aikido, and it is far some that kind of thing. It starts like that, but it never stays like that.
Well yes, I did think when you watch an Aikido demo they're doing Aikido. LOL what else what it be :jediduel:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A large portion of Aikido is not just learning the techniques, but also the Ukemi, or keeping yourself from getting hurt basically. The basis is just learning the techniques. The things that you learn are effective, but the realism that you're looking for doesn't come until much later in Aikido.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The waza is teaching you the interplay of an encounter- (timing, distance, speed, force, etc) The hand out is taking the line. Filling the space / line of attack. For him to attack you he has to get around that physical space. One way to do that is to grab your arm/wrist etc. Then thats the waza that you see. If he doesn't respect that physical space he will get a palm / fist to the face. That's why there are attacks like yokomen ( you can think of it as a hook) to get around your guard. Other ways to get around that is to knock the arm out of the way that will lead to a different waza. Anther way to think of the arm out is a point of reference where you've made initial contact - you can keep track of his motion and hopefully hide your own. It isn't easy. Good luck with your classes.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What you see in aikido demonstrations, and what's taught in most aikido dojo's, are techniques deomonstrating the princples of the art. The timing, distance balance and balance breaking that are transmitted by grabbing techniques are the same that you would use in other types of attacks. I study a style of aikido where we train against jabs, crosses, hooks, kicks etc. and it works very well.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hmm, I would wonder if Aikido would really be the art for someone like yourself with this kind of "real fight" experience. I would say, stick to the books and videos - that should give you all you will ever really need to know about Aikido. The sensei holding out his arm for the 'charger' to grab sounds about the height of it. I mean, that kind of idiocy (like kata and poomse and all that nonsense) should be nowhere in a *real* fighter's martial toolset. Seriously, I would give Aikido a wide berth if you need to be dealing with that kind of "real style" aggression.
Good luck and all :) Keep safe now.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread has a short clip of aikido on it defending against various non-grabbing attacks.

This thread deals with exactly what you're asking about.

And this thread deals with aikido at a higher level... if I do say so myself. ;)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm, I would wonder if Aikido would really be the art for someone like yourself with this kind of "real fight" experience. I would say, stick to the books and videos - that should give you all you will ever really need to know about Aikido. The sensei holding out his arm for the 'charger' to grab sounds about the height of it. I mean, that kind of idiocy (like kata and poomse and all that nonsense) should be nowhere in a *real* fighter's martial toolset. Seriously, I would give Aikido a wide berth if you need to be dealing with that kind of "real style" aggression.
Good luck and all :) Keep safe now.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna
I had to read it twice, but Jenna ... you rock!
icon14.gif
Great insight.
icon10.gif

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What you see in aikido demonstrations, and what's taught in most aikido dojo's, are techniques deomonstrating the princples of the art. The timing, distance balance and balance breaking that are transmitted by grabbing techniques are the same that you would use in other types of attacks. I study a style of aikido where we train against jabs, crosses, hooks, kicks etc. and it works very well.
What is that style?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

How so?

I'd very much like to see a video of a guy wearing boxing gloves and trying to land punches and combination while the other guy defends with Aikido techniques. Something like that would provide a good contrast to the huge amount of run in and provide a arm then stop fighting clips.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The style Morph is talking about is Nihon Goshin Aikido. It's my style as well. In our dojo if you're going to actually reach out and grab your nage you'd better say the word "grip" to let them know that beforehand. Otherwise, you'll be met with a pre-emptive strike. We deal with round houses, backhands, uppercuts, overhand attacks, pushes, grabs and kicks... and I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out. Do a youtube search for the style and you'll see quite a bit. Lemme see if I can find a good one for you. The one in my post up thread is a short one from my dojo.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How so?

I'd very much like to see a video of a guy wearing boxing gloves and trying to land punches and combination while the other guy defends with Aikido techniques. Something like that would provide a good contrast to the huge amount of run in and provide a arm then stop fighting clips.

Take a look at the links in post #10. Theletch1 and I study the same art. You may be able to find something on utube if you look for Nihon Goshin Aikido or Robert Mackewen

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah, here's what I was looking for.
Great vid. I like it. But come on Jeff, you cannot seriously expect anyone to believe this would be efficient on ~the street~ against real proper fighters?
;) :D
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great vid. I like it. But come on Jeff, you cannot seriously expect anyone to believe this would be efficient on ~the street~ against real proper fighters?
;) :D
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

:uhoh: :lol:

Latest Discussions