Popularity contest?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
I found myself in Chick Flick and Cheesy Soap Opera hell the other day when my girlfriend had a friend visiting for the day, and it kind of got me thinking...

From an outsider's media driven view, it seems as if the US school system is nothing but one big popularity contest from start to finish, what with voting for class presidents, prom kings and queens, valor dictorians etc.
Kinda got me wondering what this would do to those who are unpopular to start with, having all of these events which just go to prove how much more popular everyone else is than they are.
Surely this can't be good for their already wailing self esteem?
Trying to think back to my school days, I don't think it was like that in my school, but I can't be too sure since I kind of fitted into the "Does not play well with others" category.
I do remember there were obvious cliques, but it just seems (once again from what I have seen in films and TV) that in the US that it is pretty much formalised, especially with the whole fraternity/sorority gig in colleges...

Am I way off base here?
What do you think?

Please let's not allow this to de-generate into a "Our school's better than yours" or "What do you know" "What have you ever given the world" type discussion, I would just like to know other people's feelings and experiences.

Thanks
Simon

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I can relate to the "un-popular" section, because as a former NERD (aka geek) the whole being popular at school thingy was just something I didn't fuss with too much.
Basically those things are designed to help boost confidence and foster a good self-esteem. What is lacking is the proper balance to make sure everyone benefits. Thus is the way of the world today.
You're going to decide how popular you are not the other way around. Being assertive and forthright enough to get out and meet people and finding ways to click and relate to them is up to you. Too bad I had to learn all of this too late (after high-school) but at least I learned it and now have a good sense of being "well-liked" in whatever circle/group I find myself in, I also learned that it isn't important to have everybody like me. It'd be nice but it's not possible thus not that big of a deal.
But either way there's always going to be "outsiders". Someone different or odd. Thing is that until someone tells them that it's okay to be this way and that is what helps keep the world a diverse and wonderful place... we're going to get the occasional quirks that come out of the woodwork. Unfortunately this also leads to the occasional Eric and Dylan types.
But popularity contests... a way of life. You can join in or do without. It's what's important to you that matters. :asian:

J

Jaymeister

It seems to me like there's a lot more pressure on the kids in American schools compared to here in Europe, I suspect that's why it's so important to be successful/popular, and why students seem much more competetive than in our schools.

But of course movies/tv-series will make it look 1000 times worse than it is, so those sources aren't really that reliable.

OP
Simon Curran

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jaymeister said:
But of course movies/tv-series will make it look 1000 times worse than it is, so those sources aren't really that reliable.
Agreed, but that is kind of why I started this thread, to gain an insider's view point.

Macaver, I certainly agree that it is down to the individual to strive towards their own popularity, I just struggle to see a function in helping kids single someone out (which they are always going to do anyway...)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
as a former NERD (aka geek)
Nerds are different to geeks. Nerds are smart. I should know, since I'm a geek. Nerds can be geeks, but not all geeks are nerds.

You can tell the difference. Geeks know how many Super Star Destroyers were built, and all their names. Nerds know advanced quantum physics and trigonometry.

OP
Simon Curran

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
Nerds are different to geeks. Nerds are smart. I should know, since I'm a geek. Nerds can be geeks, but not all geeks are nerds.

You can tell the difference. Geeks know how many Super Star Destroyers were built, and all their names. Nerds know advanced quantum physics and trigonometry.
So how many Super Star Destroyers were built then???:)

OP
Simon Curran

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
Eight.

Including the missing one hidden on Coruscant.

*polishes geek badge*
I need to dig out my star wars tapes...

Back to the subject, does anyone else have any input?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Adept said:

Uhh, Trigo-what?
:lol:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was NEVER popular at school. My mother was socially clueless and raised me the same way, so the whole social scene pretty much escaped me and, yeah, it did seem like every single activity was geared toward popularityj. One Senior class president was a stoner, didn't get the greatest grades, did essentially nothing service-wise for the class or the school, just walked around more popular than ever with a title, bad grades, blood-shot eyes, and a C average. He was also Homecoming King and Prom King. Cheerleaders were always popular and always the queens and princesses and whatever.

I, however, co-founded the computer club (whoopee), took college classes after school and got into acting in Senior year.

I hated high school. All the popular kids were crying on graduation day - I was shouting and jumping.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always been a geek AND a nerd. Maybe more so a nerd.

I think the "popularity contests" at American schools can become ridiculous. It also depends on the school (local culture) as to whether the "popular" kids are really the most well-liked, or if they are the most socially feared. Some of the most "popular" kids in high school weren't the nicest at all - but could be the most verbally cruel, so people feared them.

I think it can be a big problem. I think sometimes a "popular" kid needs to realize that they are a kid just like any other.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school system in this town, keeps talking about uniforms ever so often until it is quashed. But then they encourage the snow queen & king, the president, cheerleaders, prom queen etc. and the cliques continue.

In California, some 10-15 yrs. ago, self-esteem was force fed into the kids. So they grew up and wondered why they weren't popular if they were so great. They were great even though they didn't work at anything including friendship. I always told my kids to be individuals first and to be a friend to those who need friends. Also, that the kids who were popular were just like a fad--importance passing when they get out of high school. I went back to my 20 yr. high school reunion and the popular kids still had the same catty pack traits. They never learned to become stronger, unselfish individuals. TW

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:

Nerds also tell you the science used and stretch into making the Geeks get all in a buzz about the newest weapon or form of travel. ;)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we emphasized social organizations for nerds and geeks...we'd be a lot better off. We need to promote chess club, computer club, debate club, science club...all that good stuff.

WITH AN ADDED FOCUS on recruitment, fundraising for scholarships, an emphasis on taking the children's knowledge of the topic above and beyond the standard...and getting cute girls to join.

Or something.

Regards,

Steve

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
If we emphasized social organizations for nerds and geeks...we'd be a lot better off. We need to promote chess club, computer club, debate club, science club...all that good stuff.

WITH AN ADDED FOCUS on recruitment, fundraising for scholarships, an emphasis on taking the children's knowledge of the topic above and beyond the standard...and getting cute girls to join.

Or something.

Regards,

Steve

Hmmm,

Chess Club in High School and College, and held various officer rolls in both.

Computer Club in High School when it was main frames. :D

ACM in College, I joined the problem solving team for competition but was not able to compete do to too much time requirements for studying ;)

Science Club in High school was the BOMB. I was President for three years, we went to Toronto and Chicago, both have great science museums and other cultureal events to attend for a weekend for high school kids.

Oh yea we had cute girls as well, well it was Toronto and Chicago, people wanted to go.

I bring this up for many a HS has a desire but no sponser, so a Teacher could be the faculty sponser but they really need a parent to take charge and run lots of the logistics, and to train the students to do it for themselves. The cool part for the parent is that they get to go do these events with their children and also have fun separately ;)

PS: Math, Chem Clubs and Gaming Society in college we lots of fun as well. Chem club had lots of home brewers, and the Gaming society is well for also people who like Minatures, historic warfare and RPG's. Also getting involved in political actions clubs is also a way to show eladership and or to meet people and support what you think is good.

OP
Simon Curran

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So it isn't just a media generated impression then, it is reality?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Hmmm,

Chess Club in High School and College, and held various officer rolls in both.

Computer Club in High School when it was main frames. :D

ACM in College, I joined the problem solving team for competition but was not able to compete do to too much time requirements for studying ;)

Science Club in High school was the BOMB. I was President for three years, we went to Toronto and Chicago, both have great science museums and other cultureal events to attend for a weekend for high school kids.

Oh yea we had cute girls as well, well it was Toronto and Chicago, people wanted to go.

I bring this up for many a HS has a desire but no sponser, so a Teacher could be the faculty sponser but they really need a parent to take charge and run lots of the logistics, and to train the students to do it for themselves. The cool part for the parent is that they get to go do these events with their children and also have fun separately ;)

PS: Math, Chem Clubs and Gaming Society in college we lots of fun as well. Chem club had lots of home brewers, and the Gaming society is well for also people who like Minatures, historic warfare and RPG's. Also getting involved in political actions clubs is also a way to show eladership and or to meet people and support what you think is good.

Yeah, it's how I got started in caving too. Buddy of mine moved from Indiana (a cave-heavy state) to Tennessee (another cave-heavy state) and started up a club of which I was invited to be charter member and then hence forth I was hooked. I was already beginning my MA-experiences at the time (but no club :mad: ). Got bit by two bugs at once. One of my teachers became the "sponsor" and thus it got going. Pretty geeky group that was too. Come to think of it, 90% of the folks I go underground are geeks or nerds (or were when they went to their respective schools).

G

ghostdog2

I went to an all boys high school that required uniforms, including a tie, and stressed academics as well as athletics. Discipline was strict and consistent (it was a Jesuit school with a required JROTC program. Think about that.) The teachers emphasised moral and ethical correctness and including everyone.
It seemed to work. School spirit and morale were high. There was the usual jock/non-jock divide, but since grades were so important, athletes took part in everything from debate to music.
I have sent my son to a similar school. It seems to me that single sex schools, proper uniforms and a religous/spiritual atmosphere really cut down on the "who's popular now" state of mind. I helped coach the Young Lawyers program and the kids were varsity athletes and computer geeks all in one place and seemingly all on the same page. Reminded me of my high school.
So, I guess I'm saying that I don't recognize those Hollywood depictions of high school. It was not that way for me and has not been that way for my son.

Latest Discussions