Political Correctness.....

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Has it hurt our society or has it bettered our society?
To me....
It just seems to drive wedge farther between us as a whole and causes seperatism.
Kinda like a new way to create and feed "class" struggles.
I would like to know peoples honest opinions on this.
"P.C" etiquett is not required or desired on this one.
Just honesty and politness.
And if you're worried about the "bad rep" man..
Don't give examples.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Politically Correct=

***-kissing way to appealing to everyone, regardless if it's right or what you believe or whatever. politically correctness and truth are the complete opposite of one another. i'll stick with the truth thing, it's who i am, without regard to offending anyone.

T

Tkang_TKD

Sapper6 said:
Politically Correct=

***-kissing way to appealing to everyone, regardless if it's right or what you believe or whatever. politically correctness and truth are the complete opposite of one another. i'll stick with the truth thing, it's who i am, without regard to offending anyone.
What he said. I also prefer truth over political correctness. :)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As most would agree with you all, let's not forget that there is a time and place for everything. Being diplomatic in one's discussion does not necessarily equate to being "less than honest", rather, selectively articulate.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
very true flatlander, however, i will rarely find myself in a diplomatic position and if i ever do, i will still remain truthful to the end, without all the sugar-coating PC stuff attached :)

R

rmcrobertson

Hey, did you guys know that "political correctness," was a term that originated on the LEFT wing of American politics, as a sardonic reference to holier-than-thou left wingers?

Mais, c'est certain that the RIGHT wing would NEVER, EVER be guilty of policing the ideological purity of, say the Republican Party...or pandering to loonbox right-wingers...our President would never go off on some wacko, "every sperm is sacred," tirade about, say, stem cell...oh.

Sorry. Oops. My bad.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Mais, c'est certain that the RIGHT wing would NEVER, EVER be guilty of policing the ideological purity of, say the Republican Party...or pandering to loonbox right-wingers...our President would never go off on some wacko, "every sperm is sacred," tirade about, say, stem cell...oh.

Sorry. Oops. My bad.

hey robert, lay off the whiskey when you're posting late at night. you're much easier to understand (funner to argue with) when you're sober :drinkbeer : :rofl:

R

rmcrobertson

Yes, again we see the pc of the Right...unable to discuss an issue sans personal comment.

And personally, if I planned to vote for George Bush, who publicly announces his conversion and post-1987 sobriety (personally, I was in grad school at the time, earning a degree without my rich daddy's help), I'd go lightly on the whisky allusions.

"Water is the strong stuff
It carries whales and ships
But water is the wrong stuff
Don't let it get past your lips
It rots your boots, ruins your suits
Puts aches in all your bones
Dilute the stuff with whiskey
Or leave it well alone."

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"There are two rules for drinking whisky. First, never take whisky without water, and second, never take water without whisky." ~ Chic Murray

On the PC bit...whatever happened to the days of ol' where people just had thicker skin? There's a thick line between someone being offensive and the receiving end being obnoxious.

This site is dedicated to world news based on PC issues...some of the things are just insane:

www.tonguetied.us

P

PeachMonkey

Jay Bell said:
On the PC bit...whatever happened to the days of ol' where people just had thicker skin?

A lot of it fell by the wayside when people realized that the sorts of jokes, comments, etc that "good ol' boys" like to make about race, women, etc are part and parcel of real, serious problems of oppression and inequality.

Many, of course, took this sort of sensitivity to excess, which is human nature. It doesn't eliminate the importance of being cognisant to the difference between when your behavior satires a situation and when it actually exacerbates it.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PC? I'd settle for people just having MANNERS. Please, thank you, good morning, and excuse me would go a long way in our society.