Police vehicles

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember when I was living in Ft Laud the Broward Sheriff using a souped up TransAm that they got in a drug bust. it even had a roll cage..It was painted in their colors had a light and siren and that was it, no factory interior or seats..It had 2 racing seat with racing harnesses...I was told that not too many vehicles have ever outrun it on I-95..

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We mainly use the Chevy Impala; we've got three of 'em. One has the cage and a prisoner-transport seat.
We have one Crown Vic, but it's getting creaky...
The sergeant has an explorer...Hates it. Campus is too tight for the thing.

We've got a couple of other auxilliary vehicles, an Escape for the service officer equipped with a jump-start rig, and several Taurus (unmodified) for our "observe and report" off-campus patrol guys.
They've just got watchmen's licenses and are under the supervision of one of our sergeants.

The university came out with a "We must set an example" statement and said all new vehicles must be hybrids or other fuel-efficient designs.

There is not a lot of choice in the way of hybrid patrol cars; a bit of research turned up that a couple of departments are using the Prius with some success, and that's about it.
So, rather than buy any new cars, we're fixing the ones we have....

Latest Discussions