wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the pole has 3.5 or 6.5 "points" (which apparently is just another way to say "methods")...can the same be said of the knives?
I've never heard of the knives having "points", only that they have something to do with ___ number of sections or directions, etc.

Discussion welcome!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My knives have one point each.... sorry can't resist when you lob one in like that.

The way the form was taught to me was in eight sections, each section dealing with a specific type of weapon.

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The way the form was taught to me was in eight sections, each section dealing with a specific type of weapon.

Huh. Cool. Don't think I'd heard of that before. The other one I've read somewhere was 8 different directions but not sure if it meant the knives themselves, or referring to the practitioners body moving in 8 directions while conducting the knife form...

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for the 6 1/2 points of the pole , I was taught thrust (or spear), flip, jerk up, flick, sweep, cover, and half fence, this also being the order in which they appear in our form.

As for the meaning of the half-point , Si-Fu had two different explanations for it.
One being if you did the half fence properly it would leave a crescent shaped hole if done against a piece of paper rather than a full circle .

The second one, and the one that I prefer is that the half fence is half a technique , much like our bong sau.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huh. Cool. Don't think I'd heard of that before. The other one I've read somewhere was 8 different directions but not sure if it meant the knives themselves, or referring to the practitioners body moving in 8 directions while conducting the knife form...

I've heard that explanation too, but the way it was talk to me, each section of the knives has basically a preparatory stage where you are practicing a specific cut, for example, thrusting the knives, followed by practicing a specific technique going forward, then the same or different technique as you go back to the original point of where you started... Then you begin the next section with its preparatory stage; going forward going back etc.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah back to the pole form, I heard a Moy Yat guy explain that the pole is called the rat tale pole, but the form itself is called 6 1/2 points because there are six thrusts in the form and the half thrust of the half fence for a total of 6 1/2 points.

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh yeah back to the pole form, I heard a Moy Yat guy explain that the pole is called the rat tale pole, but the form itself is called 6 1/2 points because there are six thrusts in the form and the half thrust of the half fence for a total of 6 1/2 points.

6 "thrusts" eh? Hmmm... wonder what they meant by that. Like, you thrust (Bil?) 6 times? Or that theirs has 6 different types of thrusts in it?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
6 "thrusts" eh? Hmmm... wonder what they meant by that. Like, you thrust (Bil?) 6 times? Or that theirs has 6 different types of thrusts in it?

If their form is like ours in LT lineage , then it's the actual number of thrusts in the form.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the Jiu Wan lineage.

The Six and a Half Strikes of Luk Dim Boon Gwun

1. TAI GWUN-Upward Rising Strike

2. DUM GWUN-Downward Lowering Strike

3. HEUN GWUN-Circling Strike

4. TIU GWUN-Lifting Up

5. DAN GWUN-Downward Snap

6. LON GWUN-Horizontal Pushing Strike

½. BIU GWUN-Thrusting Strike

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the Jiu Wan lineage.

The Six and a Half Strikes of Luk Dim Boon Gwun

1. TAI GWUN-Upward Rising Strike

2. DUM GWUN-Downward Lowering Strike

3. HEUN GWUN-Circling Strike

4. TIU GWUN-Lifting Up

5. DAN GWUN-Downward Snap

6. LON GWUN-Horizontal Pushing Strike

½. BIU GWUN-Thrusting Strike

Thanks Danny. But I guess I didn't phrase my question accurately...I'm asking about the knives and whether or not that form has 'points' LIKE the pole does. :)
Sorry for the confusion.
And yes, my pole form has the same/similar methods as the ones you listed.

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To be clear...I'm curious about whether or not the knives/ knife methods/motions/movements have or are also referred to as "points" (like the LDBG).

Sorry for not being clearer.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be clear...I'm curious about whether or not the knives/ knife methods/motions/movements have or are also referred to as "points" (like the LDBG).

Sorry for not being clearer.
I apologize for misunderstanding.
I learned them as 'cuts' which could also be a thrust or pressing cut.

The Bart Jom Do 8 Cuts

1. TAN DOH
2. KWAN DOH
3. GONG DOH
4. JUT DOH
5. BIU DOH
6. JOM DOH
7. HUEN DOH
8. MUN DOH

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I apologize for misunderstanding.
I learned them as 'cuts' which could also be a thrust or pressing cut.

The Bart Jom Do 8 Cuts

1. TAN DOH
2. KWAN DOH
3. GONG DOH
4. JUT DOH
5. BIU DOH
6. JOM DOH
7. HUEN DOH
8. MUN DOH

Nice. Thx Danny. Most of those look/sound familiar. So, your Sifu never called these 'points' eh? Just 'cuts'? (*even your Tan Doh?)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice. Thx Danny. Most of those look/sound familiar. So, your Sifu never called these 'points' eh? Just 'cuts'? (*even your Tan Doh?)
Yes.
Tan Doh - is done as a pak doh with one while tan with the other. The tan structure can be an angled thrust or a parry/cover with a cut from the opposite knife. There are other possibilities but this gives an idea of the concept.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, if you look at the names of the forms...

*Six and a Half Point Pole
*Eight Slash Swords

Therein lies your answer.

Latest Discussions