Point Sparring Video Clip

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score

I just found this clip on my computer. This is the first two thirds of my very first match
(summer 2013) I did win ,one point to three points I believe. The camera ran out of battery near the end.
I posted a match here before so once again I am asking for advice, pointers,critique and criticism.
I am the skinny guy in black, though they decided I was the blue competitor. The ring judge knew my name, Jordan Buck, so it was blue for Buck I guess

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, since the video clip,is private, we can't watch it.
At this point, all I can say is that the clip shows that YouTubes privacy settings work, and that they can simulate static really well...

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, since the video clip,is private, we can't watch it.
At this point, all I can say is that the clip shows that YouTubes privacy settings work, and that they can simulate static really well...
well at least that's good to know. I'm on it

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never personally cared for that type of sparring (for reasons posted in depth in several other threads...) but your techniques seemed sound for someone of your rank.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never personally cared for that type of sparring (for reasons posted in depth in several other threads...) but your techniques seemed sound for someone of your rank.
I do understand. If I didn't have back trouble I would compete in other fight arenas; Tank you.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Conventional Sport Karate Point Fighting Vid
|
I watched the posted vid & the one behind it with you also.
|
According to convention, I thought you displayed decent mobility, good speed & targeting. I also like how you rest in traditional stance yet actively guard.
|
I'd like to see more follow-on technique, there's tendency to trade a strike between opponents.
|
Certainly you are progressing and IMO it shows.... What, may I ask, is your karate style & competition division?

P.S. How did they get the opponent colors mixed up?

Last edited:
OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
|
|
According to convention, I thought you displayed decent mobility, good speed & targeting. I also like how you rest in traditional stance yet actively guard.
|
I'd like to see more follow-on technique, there's tendency to trade a strike between opponents.
|
Certainly you are progressing and IMO it shows.... What, may I ask, is your karate style & competition division?

well thank you, I do realize a need to continue to build to build my abillity and awareness in order to change up and to utilize more techniques when in active contact. I train in Tung Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do and Krav Maga, as well as non- combat self defense. My main study is Tung Soo Do and I consider myself a Tung Soo Do practitioner above the others. It was an open tournament. I happen to know that on both occasions I engaged with only Tae Kwon Do and Tung Soo Do artists. I was in the adult 18-30 year old category, advanced(brown belt) in the above video and executive (open black belt) in the other video.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
|
|
|
|

about the colors, perhaps a slight bit of color blindness? I can only imagine.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
|
|
|
|

May I ask, what does IMO stand for?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, alright. Way too many acronyms around here. I can"t keep up with them. I can see my high school English teacher shaking her head right now.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well thank you, I do realize a need to continue to build to build my abillity and awareness in order to change up and to utilize more techniques when in active contact.
|
What karate drills, under your schools instruction, are you utilizing to do that?

I train in Tung Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do and Krav Maga, as well as non- combat self defense. My main study is Tung Soo Do and I consider myself a Tung Soo Do practitioner above the others. It was an open tournament. I happen to know that on both occasions I engaged with only Tae Kwon Do and Tung Soo Do artists. I was in the adult 18-30 year old category, advanced(brown belt) in the above video and executive (open black belt) in the other video.
|
Congradulations on the rank achievements. Why pick Tung Soo Do? Isn't that a Korean karate style? And why the Krav Maga? Is the latter for the reality training so many speak about compared to the traditional martial arts? Lastly, how do you feel about so many in the MMA community criticizing TKD as only good for kicks and light point(less) fighting?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to train, to fight. I only wanted to fight. My combat Vietnam veteran uncle and father suggested a structured training where I could receive solid structure as a lifestyle. My uncle knew a place across town and gave the head instructor his highest recommendations. I walked in just before class time told to someone behind a desk that I wanted to earn a black belt. I didn't even know what they taught yet. I began Tung Soo Do that day. I took a Krav Maga class at a seminar, it was love at first fight. The in your face confrontation fits my personality. About the condemnation of Tae Kwon Do; when a school is geared for a specific competition, that instruction is useless outside of that competition. there does seem to a lot of that and that type of practitioner is more prominently displayed then the rest. This being said, I do have a U.S. army manual for Tae Kwon Do hand to hand combat. I know men who studied Tae Kwon Do while in Korean military. Anything when taught from an experienced combat perspective is more or less combat applicable. In this way, Tae Kwon Do is similar to kickboxing when the rigid box of tradition is removed. I know Tae Kwon Do guys who can plain fight and I know Tae Kwon Do guys who can just look good while sparring. My thoughts, take them with a grain of salt.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
What karate drills, under your schools instruction, are you utilizing to do that?
Manly , for me it's learning to stay relaxed. . working all of my techniques, knowing what does and doesn't work for me. By far, the most important is learning the small details of all techniques and practicing them slowly and smoothly. in my school, we practice "three-steps". an opponent makes an advancing movement/ attack etc. to be followed by three previously un-meditated techniques. once you get into the flow, it should be compulsive, active not reactive. it is a good way to tell your self that you really can do everything if it is applicable. absolutely for me, being calm and aware during class while pushing myself at the same time. we often will run a combination in class. it goes like this, highest ranking (front, column right) names a random technique he is then followed by all other students until everyone has named a random technique and no two are duplicated (class averages 23 students). The entire set is then preformed in the order in which they were chosen as a single combination down the floor. There are times when one forgets or doesn't know a technique, the point is do something and keep moving.

Latest Discussions