Plural of Sensei?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it Senseis? That just sounds kind weird to me.
As far as I know, the plural of sensei *is* sensei, as in one sensei, two sensei, three sensei.. though three really is a LOT of sensei for one small dojo :D Though I so not speak Japanese so I am sure folk who do would give you the definitive answer.. Or ask one of your sensei ;) Good luck :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as I know, the plural of sensei *is* sensei, as in one sensei, two sensei, three sensei.. though three really is a LOT of sensei for one small dojo :D Though I so not speak Japanese so I am sure folk who do would give you the definitive answer.. Or ask one of your sensei ;) Good luck :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Now is that a herd of sensei? a gaggle? a crowd? a pride? a bunch?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You address them as "Duuuuudes!" (and then the butt whoopin' starts)
Sensei Tachi would be correct. The yudansha-kai would be when referring to the black belts as a group.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If we're talking about 3 or more Sensei at one school, then the proper term is McDojo... :lol:

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not an expert of Japanese, but I would simply use sensei (先生).
Japanese is a language which does not distinguish sex or number, so words do not have plural. Moreover Japanese people is very proud and like alot the ambiguity which is in Japanese language...it seems the more ambiguos they can be the better it is hee hee.
As they said before me you can say sensei tachi (先生達) or if you need to point out the sex you can say for a male teacher otoko no sensei (男の先生) or for a female onna no sensei (女の先生). But remember most Japanese I guess wouldn't use the plural or the sex unless really necessary. Something interesting is that they don't even use the plural when they say the number of the sensei. For example to say 2 sensei, they say futari no sensei (二人の先生) leaving the word sensei singular.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes they do have different ways to use numbers, but it all comes down to the word order.
二人の先生
二人先生 (not grammatically correct, but used in talking)
先生二人
先生other part of a phrase二人verb.
Many ways, but as you can see sensei is still used singular.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd go for an 'argument of sensei'. Stick more than one teacher in a room and what happens??? Lots of disagreement.
:lfao:

I haven't had the pleasure of a knock down drag out argument yet. We generally have a discussion that ends with "Well, let's try it and see what happens." Generally followed shortly by, "Ow! That hurt like hell so it must be the way it's done." ;)