Plum blossom and Taiji mantis differences

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Plum blossom mantis and Taiji mantis seem nearly identical to me... Can anyone tell me the main differences?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're nearly the same. Both use the 12 keyword formula, pressings/leanings/hards/softs. I think it's more execution and application rather than real differences.

BTrent

White Belt
Reaction score
Many of the forms from the different styles of mantis are shared
For instance, Plum Flower Hand is part of 7 star mantis

When you look at Bung Bo in the 7 star style, it is very rigid

When you look at Bung Bo in the Plum Flower style, you see it has those wave motions that were part of the Plum Flower Hand form from 7 star mantis

Taiji Plum Flower Mantis has even less rigidity

Bung Bo in Tai Chi Praying Mantis is very different from Plum Flower and Taiji Plum Flower

and in 6 Harmonies Mantis it is different still 1 - YouTube (first form)

additionally, tai chi praying mantis has an enormous number of weapons forms that are lacking in plum flower mantis CCK Taichi Mantis-double daggers vs spear - YouTube

They are all cousins, so the differences are subtle, but they are there

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've heard that Brendan Lai may not have been the best example in 7star mantis. So if it looks stiff, it might just be him.

BTrent

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that Brendan Lai may not have been the best example in 7star mantis. So if it looks stiff, it might just be him.
Brendan Lai demonstrates Wong Hon Fun lineage of Seven Star Mantis out of Hong Kong. You probably heard something from some other lineage or from someone who was not an inheritor of the system. Another possibility is that personal feuds among people no longer living get passed down through the decades to students. Here is an example of Hong Kong Seven Star Mantis with the same kind of rigity or "stiffness" as you call it.

Brendan Lai lived in San Francisco, so that might have something to do with it. He's dead now, so feuding schools competing for students 40 years ago, or being sold a weapon that fell apart after a year is not that meaningful anymore.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I lived in San Francisco for many years, and still live in the area. I never knew him, but I've known his wife and son from their store for many years, until they closed it recently. I don't know mantis, nor one lineage from another. However, I did work for a while with a man who had worked with Sifu Lai, and had helped him teach, many years ago. Interesting stories, he had to tell. My comment is simply based on what he had told me.

In hindsight, I should not have commented as it was not my intention to speak poorly of him. His wife and son always treated me well whenever I came into their store, they are wonderful people. I know that he had difficulties later in life, health problems and whatnot.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One night Y C Wong, Brendan Lai, Adam Hsu, and myself just had a nice dinner at Y C Wong's house (his wife was mean to him). After the dinner, we all walked on the street of San Francisco China town. Brendan suddenly dropped into a low empty stance, his body vibrated just like a preying mantis that vibrates in the wind. When he vibrated his body, his body clearly was pulling/pushing his arms. His waist and Kua were as soft as any Taiji guy could have.

In the praying mantis system, when you move, people should only see your body movement and they should not see your limbs movement. Brendan had definitely reached to that level.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions