Planters Fasciitis

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
IÂ’m new to the forum. IÂ’ve introduced myself in the meet and greet.
I haven’t practiced (rigorously) in a 10 months because of planters fasciitis, commonly known as Heel Spurs. I’ve gone to the Dr. a couple times. I’ve been doing recommended stretches and took pain killers for a while. This started in Feb. of ’06. I gained 20-25 pounds because I started to lift weights to gain some bulk. I never was a “runner” but I was running with my kids doing some wind sprints and I aggravated the Heel spurs. Now every time I push myself hard I limp off the floor to an ice compress and two days of sore feet. Some days I can do all my patterns with no pain. I’ve heard and read that these will fade away after a year. The best thing I’ve done for the HS is buy a really comfortable pair of hiking shoes. Walking around in your bare feet is one of the worst things you can do to aggravate HS, i.e. TKD. I think I will talk to my new instructor about using Martial Arts shoes or Wrestling shoes in class. I can say the condition has become better over the past ten months, and I recover quicker than I used to. Mornings after workouts are still rough.

Anyone here experience this condition? And what did you do for it?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, still dealing with them. Actually it is only my left foot and has been going on for 6 or 7 months. I do some foot stretches that seem to help. With your toes on a step, or anything raised, lower your heels lower than your toes and hold for a bit. Don't know why it helps a bit, but it does. After a full day in work boots climbing up and down ladders sometimes I have a hard time walking from the car or truck into the house, but still I somehow manage to make it to class in the evenings. Just stubborn I guess. I have been told that most times they resolve themselves, but there are times you have to have them removed, or just live with the pain. I am hoping they go away.

Good luck with yours, at least in my art it isn't customary to go barefooted, thank God!

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I suffered from them a few years back so badly it was really crippling. I went to the Dr.'s and they x-rayed my feet. I was surprised to see the spurs. They look just like thorns from a rose bush. My remedy was to drop about 45 lbs., and they haven't been a problem since. While I was losing weight, I used inserts in my shoes made for heel problems. They are heel inserts that have removable centers. I used to get them at any of the drug stores in the Dr. Scholls area. Hope this helps. BTW welcome to MT!

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had a problem with my foot back in May. It hurt so bad, I had to go to the ER. The symptons were not right, but they didn't know what the problem was so they diagnosed it as Planters Fasciitis. By the time I was able to see an Orthopedic doctor the problem was gone.

right before the problem showed up, I was practicing on my cold basement floor a lot and probably wasn't warming up enough. I also prefer not to wear shoes around the house.

I bought a good pair of cross trainers and did some stretching a couple of times during the day. After about a week the problem went away. A couple of times since then, it felt like it might be coming back, so I would were my cross trainers a lot and take it easy, and it would pass in a day or two.

A couple of people I talked to that had it in the past, told me they had a special boot that they wore at night, that would keep the foot flexed, so the tendons would stretch.

OP
RED

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First off, thanks for the speedy replies.

IÂ’m a Machinist so IÂ’m on a cement floor most of a 12 shift. I also push around a heavy tool box. I know what it means to limp from the truck to the front door. I tried the shoe inserts they only aggravated the things. I guess IÂ’ll just deal with the pain until they disappear. I donÂ’t want to do the surgery, IÂ’ve heard crippling stories. Toe ups-Toe downs have been helpful, along with calve stretches. I really donÂ’t want to loose the muscle weight IÂ’ve gained either. Looks like I will need to tough them out hoping they will go away soon.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Get inserts for your shoes. Most shoe stores will have a $15 or less for them. I do not have a weight problem, but really high arches, so only my heel and the balls of the front touch the ground. I walk a lot for my job, and do a lot of footwork drills in class, so by nights end their sore. I have recently miss placed mine, and now it's coming back, so I have to find them. But they made all the difference in the world. Also you can have a doctor custom some for you, but it's expensive if you dont have health insurance. $15 at the local store was good enough.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
See a podiatrist who can prescribe a good anti-inflammatory that will save your stomach from using advil or aspirin. Until then try ice and advil in the evening before bed. Use the ice again when you wake. Keep icing when you have the chance through the day. Keep doing your stretching and exercising. Keep up the routine until your pain free for about 2 weeks.

Treat yourself one weekend and give your feet a rest, also try biking or swimming to give the feet some active rest.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My fiance has this and the regular Dr. Scholl's inserts didn't work for her...she ended up paying like, $100 a piece to get special inserts for her shoes. Ever since that, she hasn't had a problem.

Latest Discussions