Planet Around Sun-Like Star

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So inquiring minds wanna know... I'm sure someone on here can shed some light...

which is about the size of Jupiter but with eight times the mass. This planet and the star it seems to orbit are located in our Milky Way galaxy about 500 light years from Earth, the scientists said.

How did they determine the mass was higher than say Jupiter? Whats the test for the mass of an object 500 light years away? Did they stick it in a tub of water to see how much volume it displaced? :p

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
So inquiring minds wanna know... I'm sure someone on here can shed some light...

How did they determine the mass was higher than say Jupiter? Whats the test for the mass of an object 500 light years away? Did they stick it in a tub of water to see how much volume it displaced? :p

they did it with, like, you know...science & stuff.

you're welcome,

jf

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My best guess is through radio telescopes. I know you can use them to map giant gas clouds in space so you can probably use them to guess the size of a planet

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I believe that it is a combination of spectroscopy (to determine the constituent parts of the object), volume calculations and the gravitational effects the spacial bodies have on each other.

A quick "Ask the internet" session might reveal a more detailed (or more accurate :eek:) answer as I'm sure this can't be an uncommon question amongst non-astonomers/astrophysicists.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too cool! It's an exciting time to be alive. Now we need to defeat that whole speed-of-light-limit thing.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did they determine the mass was higher than say Jupiter?

The first method used to find exoplanets was to look for periodic distortions in the light of a star, which was caused by planets moving in front of the star. The degree to which the star's light is lensed and distorted is directly proportional to the mass of the planet. Although this planet was imaged directly, they must have used light distortions or calculations of the planet's gravitational effect on its star to determine the mass. An image alone would not do that.

The temperature quoted in the article would be determined by spectroscopy, an analysis of the light emitted by the planet. Temperature affects the light spectrum in predictable ways.

Interesting also that this planet is hot. The article states that it is unusually far from the parent star (although not how far) which implies internal processes may be responsible. At that size and mass, I'm sure it's a solid body rather than a gas giant, and volcanism and a thick atmosphere could be one explanation of the temperature.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The first method used to find exoplanets was to look for periodic distortions in the light of a star, which was caused by planets moving in front of the star. The degree to which the star's light is lensed and distorted is directly proportional to the mass of the planet. Although this planet was imaged directly, they must have used light distortions or calculations of the planet's gravitational effect on its star to determine the mass. An image alone would not do that.

The temperature quoted in the article would be determined by spectroscopy, an analysis of the light emitted by the planet. Temperature affects the light spectrum in predictable ways.

Interesting also that this planet is hot. The article states that it is unusually far from the parent star (although not how far) which implies internal processes may be responsible. At that size and mass, I'm sure it's a solid body rather than a gas giant, and volcanism and a thick atmosphere could be one explanation of the temperature.

Exactly like jarrod said

:D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

you're welcome,

jf

Truly a classic line if there ever was one.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions