PIcture post cards?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night I shot the band for a coworker of my husband.
the guy is a band booster (aren't we all?) and had the idea of selling a CD with pictures.
So, while I did not introduce myself to the Band Director, I considered the selling point and had a collage printed out at my neighborhood photo shop (Is is bad when the Walmart Ladies know me by name?)

So I show my husband the pictures and he gets all exited 'that's like a post card!'
It does look awesome, by luck of the draw the logo I photographed off the trailer was in the top right and the pictures just aligned perfectly!

Now...the prints cost like 28 cents a piece, just plain pictures...
If I were to print them on card stock they would be dull, not as pretty (since the collage was a default one from the machine)

And anything I have to stick on would make it more expensive....

Any cool and cheap way to print post cards?

Sorry for not being coherrant... worked a surprise shift at the consession stand when I was planning on shooting... :(
Had both cameras loaded and ready to go, too! :cry:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm fleeing the band boosters this year. I'll stick with the JROTC boosters this year. The band boosters are nuts. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good job. Personally, postcards have always been one of my pet peeves. Yeah, don't question my weirdness. Came home one day to see a neighbor reading a postcard my then girlfriend had sent me from her semester abroad. "So when F getting back from Italy Omar?" It's at that very moment I realized, I frakkin hate post cards.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good job. Personally, postcards have always been one of my pet peeves. Yeah, don't question my weirdness. Came home one day to see a neighbor reading a postcard my then girlfriend had sent me from her semester abroad. "So when F getting back from Italy Omar?" It's at that very moment I realized, I frakkin hate post cards.

ROFLMAO! :roflmao:

I got a few 'glad you aren't here' ones from family (no, not really, but they were kind of like thumbing their noses...)

Hey, I pick on your weirdness when too much nerd is showing! :inlove:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm fleeing the band boosters this year. I'll stick with the JROTC boosters this year. The band boosters are nuts. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are they ever!

Alas.. the kid doesn't have it in him to do JROTC....

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
ROFLMAO! :roflmao:

I got a few 'glad you aren't here' ones from family (no, not really, but they were kind of like thumbing their noses...)

Hey, I pick on your weirdness when too much nerd is showing! :inlove:

Well I did bring it up so it's clearly something that does not bother me at all. It's easier to pick on something someone is self conscious about. I don't like people reading my stuff, how weird is that?

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Came home one day to see a neighbor reading a postcard my then girlfriend had sent me from her semester abroad.

Yeah, postcards are about as private as a billboard.

I've heard good things about the printing from mpix.com. They seem to have photo card printing for under $0.60 each. Walgreens.com actually makes postcards (complete with address side, etc.) for $0.99 to $1.29.

Are you thinking you will make some to show the booster club/band director, and then offer to sell them? In that case, you just need to think what you would actually pay for a postcard of your little Johnny, and back off from there what your profit would need to be. The tricky part is the business model. Would you have proofs (or digital proofs) and let people order, or are you going to pre-print a batch, and hope for sales? That choice will impact your sales price as well.

Good luck.

Rick

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, postcards are about as private as a billboard.

I've heard good things about the printing from mpix.com. They seem to have photo card printing for under $0.60 each. Walgreens.com actually makes postcards (complete with address side, etc.) for $0.99 to $1.29.

Are you thinking you will make some to show the booster club/band director, and then offer to sell them? In that case, you just need to think what you would actually pay for a postcard of your little Johnny, and back off from there what your profit would need to be. The tricky part is the business model. Would you have proofs (or digital proofs) and let people order, or are you going to pre-print a batch, and hope for sales? That choice will impact your sales price as well.

Good luck.

Rick

Well, the idea had crossed my mind to print up a few then sell them. But around here I think the pain thresh hold for such things would be 1$ so the printing price should not exceed 50 cents by much.

However, that is with either me or the school not getting a cut ;)

But it would be a nice way - and relatively easy - to commemorate a marching competition, especially should they take home a price.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its a cool souvenir. :) I've done a few 4x6 postcard-type prints of some of my nature shots.

I'm not convinced the print-it-yourself route is the way to go (if you have an inkjet). There is heavy, glossy card stock out there that makes fine cards, but the ink for ink jets is so pricey that it may be cheaper to have a professional shop do the printing for you. If the photo is dark and/or requires a lot of ink, then printing them at home may not be a good option at all. The dark moose photo I did last year looks horrible if done on an inkjet.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The printer I have is pretty bad for photos, sad, since it is a Kodak :lol:
So I am taking all my photo needs to Walmart (did I mention the ladies know me by name already? :D)

But going the card route I think I'd have them professionally done. If my math is on, and baring any surprised that one place would print them for under 20 cents, which is good! a 4x6 in small quantities costs you up to 28, you can get them as low as 13 here, if you take more than 100 (which should be easy with 40 kids in thee band.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check with some actual print shops in your area. They may be able to do the job for you at a much better price, especially if you're doing a fundraiser for the school.

Latest Discussions