Pia

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i suppose footwork and basics aren't important in jkd.
Hi calofduty,

I believe I understand the premise of your question, but think you may have the wrong idea in your pattern of thinking. And while I may not have your answers, I'll tell you what I've learned.
For starters, there is no "jab" in JKD. There's jabs in sports like boxing, kickboxing, etc... but not jkd, because remember the purpose of this fighting art is to finish the job in the most simply direct economical way. The straight punch with the lead hand comes from Wing Chun (jik kuen), and later adopted a more epee/rapier fencing characteristic. There are numerous ways you can throw the straight lead, but in terms of a Simple Angle Attack, that simply means a direct hit with no preparation (one interpretation). The footwork for such a technique would depend on if you need to move to hit the person, but should mirror the essence of a fencer's lunging thrust, with the hand moving before the foot in most scenarios. The punch is intended to do maximum damage.
But before you can really punch in this method, you should understand the advantages and disadvantages of Bruce Lee's stance. With that, the delivery of the punch will make more sense, and the clarity of the footwork might become more clear for you. Hope that helps.

Latest Discussions