Physicality of Aikido

K

Koga-Shinobi

Just wanted to ask a question of those who study Aikido: Is it a physically challenging, tough workout of a MA?

Stupid question, I know...let me clarify: I'm looking to start a MA, not just for self-defense but also for the intense physical aspect of it. Would one be able to get that physical satisfaction from Aikido, or would it be best to look elsewhere for a more aggressive style MA?:confused:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Koga-Shinobi

I'm looking to start a MA, not just for self-defense but also for the intense physical aspect of it.

Give it a try. But remember the stlye is represented by a dojo(club), and it decides by itself how to use the style.

I've seen dojo's do Aikido with out getting a sweat, and others were your totally finished when class is over, and it was the same style.

/Yari

OP
D

Despairbear

Yes I agree it depends on where you train. At my dojo some nights you sweat but it is not a real intense workout other nights you have to drag your self off the mat at the end of class. There is a lot of movement involved in Aikido with the rolling and falling and what not, it can be a very challenging cardio work out.

Despair Bear

OP
C

Caine

I was at morning keiko with Doshu at Hombu today and was struggling to get up off the mat after 30 minutes. At my main dojo on the other side of Tokyo, I can usually last the hour and a half, although I do generally sweat off up to 2 kilo`s a session. I am 6 foot 2 and weigh around 80 kilo`s give or take a training session.

OP
H

Humble artist

As others already said,it must be a question of school.
I´ve had the idea that,somewhat naturally,training can be very hard at Japan.
I think you won´t have to stand very much muscle strain in it,but overall work-out will be good if properly practiced,you develop mobility,flexibility,loose and stronger muscles such as hips&more wrist strength and such,due to lots of rolling (ukemi) there will be stimulation for one´s internal organs which cannot be found from many other arts,it is also known that trough constant practice you may build up bone tissue,from constant grab releases etc.
It is an internal art so the feeling may be very different from fitness oriented kickboxing class :rolleyes:

OP

2maz

I agree with the previous posters, but I also think it's a matter of attitude towards your training. If you want to get worked out and sweat, you will. And if you want to get off the mat with the intention of skipping the shower, you can do that too. As most things, in the end it's a lot up to you and your attitude toward things.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

hmm it depends upon the dojo n student itself...
in my class which basically goes up to one hour on week days n on saturdays it's like 3 hrs...
i hav to always warm up 30 minutes before the class on weekdays... i used to start myself at 5:30(sometimes early) am then join my class at 6:00 ....
on saturdays... i couldn't even drag myself out... :D
i m Tkdist not a Aikidoka... just passing by...
-TkdWarrior-

OP
P

phoenix277

aikido is a good work out but like everyone else has said it is developed for a dojo:jediduel: :samurai: :yinyang:

OP

2maz

Originally posted by phoenix277

aikido is a good work out but like everyone else has said it is developed for a dojo:jediduel: :samurai: :yinyang:

Could you explain what you mean with "developed for a dojo"? What experience do you have when it comes to aikido?

OP
P

phoenix277

for one i train in aikido

and ur not likly to use aikido in a street fight it being a none voilent sport:jediduel: :samurai: :yinyang:

OP

2maz

Common misunderstanding. It doesn´t have to be voilent to be effective. What style do you train?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

to use aikido in a street fight it being a none voilent sport

Well, I'd say your wrong on both occaisions.

Aikido isn't a sport, and uke can get hurt seriously.

/Yari

OP
P

phoenix277

dude this is a quote from the BAB (British aikido Board)

A Non-Violent Sport
Aikido is essentially non-violent, encourages harmony and avoidance of confrontation. Force is never opposed by force. Resolving a conflict quiescently is better for all concerned and students soon learn how to improve their self-awareness, and with the techniques learnt, also grow in self-confidence. In this Aikido teaches self-defence. Aikido is todays fastest growing recreational activity with Japanese origins that go back many centuries. Aikido as practised today includes joint locking techniques and body movements from many of the ancient fighting methods taught, used, and perfected by the Samurai in feudal Japan.
:jediduel: :samurai: :yinyang:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

A Non-Violent Sport

It's not a sport.

Aikido is essentially non-violent..

I rest may case.... either it is or it isn't. And to follow up on that...

In this Aikido teaches self-defence.

Self-defence.....

includes joint locking techniques and body movements

Joint lock hurts. And the are meant to stop a movement; no flow - no softness. Bluntly stop. If the person your trying to do a joint lock on isn't awaer, his/her arm/leg/body is going to get hurt.

Beside this Aikido has atemi, and hard techniques. Try irimi-nage, or a koshi-nage. Or what about an aiki-nage?

/Yari

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some styles of aikido have competitions but for the most part I'd say it's not a sport. I think it's effective self-defense in the long run--but not in the short run.

OP

2maz

Agree, It takes quite a while to figure out wich arm goes where and how your legs can be at five different places at the same time. But by the time you got that figured out, your opponent is faced with the exact same problems. ;)

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2maz

But by the time you got that figured out, your opponent is faced with the exact same problems. ;)

Yeah... were your feet had been/is/are/and going to be ... :D :p :rofl:

I agree....

/Yari

OP
S

SRyuFighter

A good friend of mine trains in Aikido. It took him a long time to get good. But just the other day we got in a fight with a couple of guys and he surprisingly took care of them very well. Just don't expect to be great in the short run. Don't expect that with any Martial Art. But you can be very good in Aikido and it has good self defense techniques.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I don't really know I'll ask him. He always talks about it as Aikido.

Latest Discussions