Phone scripts?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone use one when answering inquiries? What's the goals? Care to share the script?

I never did, but looking back I probably should have, curious as too what others are doing.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
YES! I use a phone script. It no longer sounds like a script, but merely insightful questions, A GREAT way to build rapport with the prospective client.

Imagine, if you will, the prospect calling your studio. They most always want to know "How much does it cost?" sometimes that is the only question that comes to their mind.

When someone calls my studio, I imagine them on the other side of the phone with a blank cartoon boubble by thier haed. It is my job to fill this boubble with the V's and B's of MA training and convince them MA is a great investment in thier childs' future.

Bottom line, use that initial phone call to set-up an appointment.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't use phone scripts but we are very careful about who we let answer the phone. If its not someone very experienced, we train the person very well and given them a few "talking points" for various questions.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
YES! I use a phone script. It no longer sounds like a script, but merely insightful questions, A GREAT way to build rapport with the prospective client ...

I've heard him in action, sitting across a lunch table while he takes a call.

He's GOOD :) Slick, professional, conversational, friendly, informative.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
No phone scripts here, Me or my wife are the only ones who answers my phone and I feel that we are or should be experienced enough to answer any question thrown our way. Plus I was a car salesmen for years...that always helps out..lol
icon10.gif

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I read the the title of this thread, my initial thought was telemarketing, and I shivered. Now that I've read on, I get your point completely. I thought this portion of the linked article on phone scripts was interesting:

The "How Much Does It Cost Question"?
...They will judge you on cost alone.
Thus try to engage the caller in conversation so the whole cost question becomes less important. But sometimes the caller persists on talking price. When this happens it is best to answer by giving a ballpark cost answer such as:
"We aren't the cheapest or the most expensive, but we have several different programs and payment plans. I will have someone explain them as well as our schedule to you if you are interested. Why don't you come in and observe a class, and we can explain our various plans. Better yet, try a class out to see if you like it."

Personally, I tune out when I don't get a direct answer to that question, whatever it is I might be buying. Is this a successful strategy in anyone's experience? I'm not a sales person, but my own inclination when someone comes fishing would be to try and get an email address at least, so they can review the information under less pressure.

Then again, I've always worked in the public sector.

Latest Discussions