Perspectives...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Take a look at this picture and play around with google earth. Zoom all of the way out and zoom in on your home. Think about it. How does this affect your perspective?

For 100,000 years, mankind has been confined to Earth. This era has been a lengthy and interesting saga of groping towards rationality and material command, amid endless wars. The most interesting thing about this is its fragility. We have been confined to one rocky world in a far off po-dunk corner of our galaxy - completely dependent upon a thin membrane of water and a smear of organics over the planets surface. The slightest disturbance could have wiped us out before we even got started and that would have been that. In fact, 70,000 years ago, this nearly did happen. A single volcanic eruption, Toba, changed the climate so drastically that only a few hundred of our ancestors survived...we were a hairsbredth from extinction. Now, we are here. We see this picture and all of this progress amid the semi-collective groping of the Earth. My my, these are interesting times...

Attachments

• $earthlights-smaller.jpg
    $earthlights-smaller.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 162

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
In fact, 70,000 years ago, this nearly did happen. A single volcanic eruption, Toba, changed the climate so drastically that only a few hundred of our ancestors survived...we were a hairsbredth from extinction. Now, we are here. We see this picture and all of this progress amid the semi-collective groping of the Earth. My my, these are interesting times...

Cool pic, but Ambrose's Toba catastrophe theory really only posits a few thousand people, based on mitochondrial DNA sampling....

thanks, though-from where I sit, every day we're a hairsbreadth from extinction......

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
our only chance is to take it to the stars. spread out all over the galaxy. mine the rings, colonize so many planets that not even a global catastrophe will so much as slow us down.

maybe i've been reading too much heinlein.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
And, where's that?

if you want to be a fatalist, you can see extinction around every corner... Iran w/ nuclear weapons, bird flu outbreak, some new virus/bacteria, etc... outreach into the stars will take a while, but its the only true "seperation" we have in this culture. unless you hide in a cave you just can't keep away from the rest of society...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
And, where's that?

See here .

elder999 said:
I currently work at Los Alamos National Laboratory, where I do boring science stuff, and a few things that I can talk around, and a few more things that I won’t (CAN’T) talk about at all, though I’ve told enough that you can probably imagine what those are.
:uhohh:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
our only chance is to take it to the stars. spread out all over the galaxy. mine the rings, colonize so many planets that not even a global catastrophe will so much as slow us down.

Perhaps you have, indeed.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

Impossible to do!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang, I left the lights on again.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

Or Pournelle. If you like Heinlein, you will like Jerry Pournelle as well.

This planet is small and vulnerable. One comet and we could be all gone. It would be nice to know there are colonies outside of our gravity well that would have a chance after that type of thing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
if you want to be a fatalist, you can see extinction around every corner... Iran w/ nuclear weapons,

How about "anyone with nuclear weapons. Iran, The US, Russia, India, Israel, Great Britain..."

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. Iran doesn't currently have nuclear weapons.

2. The U.S. is the only country that has ever used nuclear weapons in a war, and the only country currently considering using them again.

It's horrifying.

Latest Discussions