Personal Project Only Ramblings

C

c2kenpo

THis is not a thread as so much using MT to help me out.
Was jotting ideas down on a project that intersects with my black belt thesis and am currently at a workstaion with no floppy drive or usb port or cdr and no web or emaill access. So I am cut and pasting my ramblings here if you want to comment feel free. I will be taking this when I get home and recopying and applying it. Thank you MT for a small bit of bandwith to keep my thoughts alive.

in·tent Pronunciation Key (n-tnt)

adj.

1. Firmly fixed; concentrated: an intent gaze.
2. Having the attention applied; engrossed: The students, intent upon their books, did not hear me enter the room.
3. Having the mind and will focused on a specific purpose: was intent on leaving within the hour; are intent upon being recognized.

n.

1. Something that is intended; an aim or purpose. See Synonyms at intention.
2. Meaning; purport.
3. Law. The state of one's mind at the time one carries out an action.

All events that occur in life are preceeded with an INTENT. We on a daliy basis in our conversations and actions are always in a state of intent conciously or not. Our body and verbal language give off clues of our intent and goals.
Intent is the begginning path of a goal or an objective we wish to achive i.e "I intend to pass this exam" or I will do whatever it takes to get to the top" Both scentences have the same purpose and function, one is simply stated the other more vague but hidden benethe the language is the intent of the passage.

In a verbal altercations where emotions are at an elevated level due to the environment or event that has occured these can evolve into physical confrontations due to the intent of someone involved in the altercation. We choose words that may be incitefull or hurtful, even insulting to get a desired reaction from another person. It is in that we must explore the intent of individuals in an altercation before we can respond in kind with the appropriate amount of force necesary to diffuse whatever the event is that has occured.

All examples will be in what is called "Ideal Phase" meaning the best possible situation although we know this is not the case in real life situations. We need to be able to convey the message of what INTENT is.

Example 1:

Someone cuts you off in a line provoking a response of some kind be verbal or bodily in reaction everyone will act in some form or manner. (See refrence to Action / Reaction for more details regarding some of the examples)

The response level is usually dictated by the threat level associated with it. (Or this is how it should be but INTENT plays a crucial role in this formula) One might simply let the matter go and put up with the distubance and others may make a verbal exchange expressing thier displeasure. Citing this example it does not warrant the reponse of a fist in the face to show ones discomfort which, I would belive would be unanimously agreed upon. However the INTENT of the person at that precise moment can trigger an unforseen response such as phyical or verbal violence.

Example 2:

Someone is physically threathning you i.e a mugger or bully. Through watching that persons verbal and physical communication you can deduct the possibility of bodily harm being done to you.

Now in this scenario the agressors INTENT is much more visible and easier to intrepret and an appropriate response can be formulated via environment and attitude (See Chapters : Attitude and Environemnt)
and may require the need of phsyical violence on a first response sacle to diffuse the situation and keep you out of harms way. This would be a much more acceptable response due to the INTENT of the agressor.

(BLOCK HERE FOR BOOK) + (REMAINDER FOR THESIS)

Understanding the intent of an individual can give you the advantage in a confrontation however it is the ability to read that intent quickly. As Martial Artists we have the disticnt ability to decide OUR INTENT in response to an agressor and apply the amount of direct force needed or desired. It is what we INTEND to do to our opponent that will make us survive or be respected for the ability to use self-control.

As stated in Example 2 some of us may stike first applying the rule of "Better to ask for forgiveness then risk loosing the advantage." or some may wait for the agressor to enact the first movement promting us to defend ourselves. However should we use lethal force when confronted with an angry customer that simply crossed the boundry of logical thinking or can we control our INTENT and turn a letha technique into one that provide saftey for not only us but may be more appropraite.

Summation of the INTENT is determined by not only the agressor but also by the defendant, in how they react to said event emotionaly and physically. How we react to each event is where we can apply our INTENT and escalate it or downgrade it if neccessary. Martial Artists not only have great physical skills but must be able to apply the mental skills in determining the level of threat to them and the level of response needed.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have no web access, then how exactly did you manage to post this stuff here?