Personal Goals

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you sign up adults do you try and figure out what they want or just work them into your curriculum? If you do try to figure it out is it with a questioner or by personal converstation and how do you start it with them.
Terry

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
When you sign up adults do you try and figure out what they want or just work them into your curriculum? If you do try to figure it out is it with a questioner or by personal converstation and how do you start it with them.
Terry
when i joined i was explicitly asked why i wanted it. i had to give multiple answers and after each answer the interviewer who signed me up would elaborate on how martial arts will help me achieve my 'goal'.
Also, the application itself had a couple of options there, like losing weight, mental focus, fitness, fun... etc.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

I think motivation is a key issue. Though we're all gearing towards the same end or headed down the same road if you will, our motivation on why we're doing so will determine what choices we're going to make along the way. For the instructors part, if he does not take into account the difference in motivation, how can he successfully give support to each individual with what they'll need to get there. A leader is only a leader if someone is following.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our organization has a personal goal portfollio for every student, BB & master. These are perodically looked at by the instructors to determine each students goals & how the can reach them. I know that my goals at this point in my MA career are much different than they have been in the past. I'm willing to bet that most new students (even adults) have trouble articulating their goals. However writting down goals really helps folks to make the most of their MA career. I don't think curriculum needs to be changed to fit the student's goals. But if the student's goals won't be met in your program, I think that needs to be experessed. For example, if the student wants to take TKD to learn throws, they won't get that at my school.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wish to create an art, that has both aspects of MMA and TMA

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

First, I begin with a personal interview. I start by asking the individual what they are looking to accomplish (why they want to study the Martial Art). This gives them the opportunity to express themselves at the beginning. I ask what type of work they do for a living, any hobbies, etc., so that I can make comparisons between the training, and something they are already familiar with.

Then, I take over the interview with an indepth explanation of what "Taekwondo" is, a brief history, the proper credentials and authority for teaching, the difference between legit instructors, and fake Black Belt certificates. I explain how Taekwondo, when properly taught, can provide fitness, improved health, mental focus, confidence, self discipline, self defense, and (if they are interested) sport competition up to, and including the Olympics. I use as many photos, and legit documents as I can to prove my claims of authenticity.

Some people are not interested in Olympics, but I assure them that tournaments are not the main focus unless they want to compete alot, then I prove to them that I have the background, experience, and credentials to take them all the way in the Olympics. Some don't care much about self defense, but only want to lose weight and get in shape, thus I show them that we can provide that, but that the self defense is a key benefit. For those who are totally focused on self defense, I make them aware of the many other facets of Taekwondo training that makes it a Martial "Art" and not just a "fighting art." Then I convince them that I am perfectly capable of teaching them to defend themselves.
:matrix:

I use a student application form to record the goals that they requested in the beginning, and keep this on file. As time progresses, the goals may change, and this is reflected in their Black Belt Profile which records the student's progress, as Iceman mentioned. The main thing is, if you can not meet the student's needs, you shouldn't mislead them into thinking that you can. However, if it is within your reach, I recommend continuing to study, get certified in various aspects, and be able to offer whatever your customers require (within reason). I always remind them that unrealistic goals are not guaranteed (IE: loss of extreme weight in a very short time, Olympic gold medal or world champion title, becoming a Martial Art movie star, etc.). If it happens - then great, but no guarantees there. :ultracool

Also, personally, I do not find it necessary to cross over into adding other "arts" going into "Mixed Martial Art," "Tae-bo," "Cardio Kick Boxing" or any other Hype or recent, passing fad. I find that I can offer everything a student needs through legitimate Taekwondo training (no offense to anyone who does, but I choose a different approach to covering all bases for my customers - - one system, one name, many aspects - Taekwondo). :asian:

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, most who sign up have a very vague idea of what they want to do. It is not until they have same time under their belt, say 6 months, that they understand all options. So, I start them on the basics and fit them into my curriculum.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't remember ever being specifically asked what my goals and intentions were, but the higher in rank I got, the more I personally focused on this. At brown belt I sat down and wrote out short term (next belt goals) and long term (black belt test) goals. This has helped me immensly in my training. Holding myself accountable for my success or failure as a martial artist has had a huge impact on my training. Now I go into each class with a specific goal. It may be that it is getting to be "crunch time" since I test for 1st Dan in June, but having those goals to help me focus has made a positive difference for me. I encourage everyone to get goals for themselves.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not involved at all on the "sales" end of our dojang so I don't know what is asked at that time.

However, I do ask at each belt test what is the student's motivation for training, whether they have set their own individual goal(s), and if they feel their needs are being met. If they've set goals which they are not attaining, I am happy to work with them.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, there was a good point brought up earlier about many students who's motives are different than they think they are, or maybe than they want to claim. I was one of those. So let me ask this. How many of you can "Read" your students and pretty much answer the question through your own observation? I'm willing to bet most of you that have been at the a long time having gotten pretty good at reading motivation through observation.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
In my opinion, most who sign up have a very vague idea of what they want to do. It is not until they have same time under their belt, say 6 months, that they understand all options. So, I start them on the basics and fit them into my curriculum.

I agree with you, this makes sense. A large portion of people (non-martial artists) don't really know anything about the MA's, or what keeps us here at MTalk so captivated with our specific martial arts. Prior to my taking up the arts, the MAs to me were Karate, little did I know that there are so many more disciplines in the MAs, and include both eastern and western styles. It's not just the Japanese arts.

Personally, when I started I didn't know what my ultimate goal in the MAs was, I just wanted to try it out. I started with the basics of TKD studying the curriculum of my dojang. After a while I was addicted. I eventually earned a BB and learned that there are many more MA disciplines than just Karatedo.

Latest Discussions