Peace on Earth? No longer allowed...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a wreath made into a peace symbol and hung upon the wall.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/27/peace.wreath.ap/index.html

I don't personally see a problem with the wreath, but I suppose some people might. However, there is a paragraph in the article that bothers me.

Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything.

Kearns fired all five committee members.
This tells me that this is far beyond just a neighborhood squabble and more of one-person who wants to force the issue.

How would you handle this?

- Ceicei

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would blame John Gibson and Bill O'Reilly. They have fostered a "War on Christmas" and that's the battle their followers are fighting.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with it - and I'm Jewish! Peace is a theme of Christmas, and I think that this wreath is in keeping with the theme; in addition, it is not gaudy, contains no words, and is generally inoffensive.

Arizona Angel

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, my gosh, have we all gone mad? It's a decoration fitting the season! I vote it looks great, not obnoxiously offensive, and someone needs to just get over themselves.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh sure why not? They've gotten rid of prayer in schools, they're getting rid of the 10 Commandments on Courthouse Walls (the basis of MANY of our laws btw), they still trying to get rid of "...under God..." in our pledge of allegiance to our beloved flag, eventually they'll get rid of "In God We Trust..." on our money... (oh wait a second... checking a dollar bill... yep, still there whew!) so why not?
The further this country get away from it's secular foundings the further away we get from becoming the country the founding fathers had meant for it to be; where everyone can be who they are regardless. All those precious freedoms... slowly eroding away, just because somebody else (they) doesn't like how somebody else is expressing them. Because that expression isn't the way that they interpret it.
Eventually I won't be able to express myself on this here forum the way I'd like to because someone is going to be offended and they'll raise a ruckus and there'll be new rules and then eventually it'll extend OUTSIDE this forum and make it into our laws and well... gee... nobody has anything else to say unless it's approved (by the government of course :rolleyes: ) material...

isn't that right? Comrade?

God, I hope I'm wrong.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pagosa Springs is not too far from Denver, and therefore this story has been all over the Denver news. The local NBC affiliate broadcast a story in which people were offering to help the couple pay the fine, should they actually be forced to pay it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How would I handle this?

Well ... I dunno, it hasn't happened to me.

BUT ... :)

If I were the one to hang the peace wreath and become squat upon by this association, I would write a letter to the former members, the neighborhood, the city, the county, my state representative and congressmen saying something like...

...Christmas is the widely-recognized celebration of the birth of Christ Jesus who has been called the Prince of Peace. I wish for peace because with peace comes an end to fighting and, hopefully, the enlightenment of the enemy. We live in the United States of America and since your committee rejected your recommendation and have subsequently been relieved of their duties, I would point out that this is not indicative of the Democratic process nor the value of a Republic. Since your issue seems to be more personal, I'd rather you come speak with me personally and address your opinion to me and leave the association out of this issue. I do not require that you agree with me - it is not my right, nor is it yours to require I agree with you. The good soldiers related to these giving families in this neighborhood of mine are fighting for freedoms. In my mind, your attempt at revoking my freedom to the point of firing a disagreeable staff is in direct conflict with the very purpose these men and women are losing their lives for. Your attempt at dictatorship (albeit tiny) is insulting, disgusting and hateful. Shame on you, Sir, and please accept my sincere wishes for peace in your home this Holiday Season.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How would I handle this?

If I were the one to hang the peace wreath and become squat upon by this association, I would write a letter to the former members, the neighborhood, the city, the county, my state representative and congressmen saying something like...

...Christmas is the widely-recognized celebration of the birth of Christ Jesus who has been called the Prince of Peace. I wish for peace because with peace comes an end to fighting and, hopefully, the enlightenment of the enemy. We live in the United States of America and since your committee rejected your recommendation and have subsequently been relieved of their duties, I would point out that this is not indicative of the Democratic process nor the value of a Republic. Since your issue seems to be more personal, I'd rather you come speak with me personally and address your opinion to me and leave the association out of this issue. I do not require that you agree with me - it is not my right, nor is it yours to require I agree with you. The good soldiers related to these giving families in this neighborhood of mine are fighting for freedoms. In my mind, your attempt at revoking my freedom to the point of firing a disagreeable staff is in direct conflict with the very purpose these men and women are losing their lives for. Your attempt at dictatorship (albeit tiny) is insulting, disgusting and hateful. Shame on you, Sir, and please accept my sincere wishes for peace in your home this Holiday Season.

That would do it for me as well!

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand why Christmas has to always be about religion.
I was raised Baptist so of course I grew up with the understanding that that was the day was Christ was born and that it should be revered. I get that. But I also understand that Christmas, for me is much more then just Christ being born. I mean most people around the world celebrate christmas in some form or another around that time of year.

I see Christmas or x-mas if you will more of a time for family and get togethers with the ones you love. I think there are only 2 days in the whole year where you should put aside your differences no matter what. Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I have a Christmas tree because i think it looks pretty. I put up lights because its like "ohhhhh preeetttyyy" LOL
And presents, Im sorry but who doesnt like to give and receive presents??? LOL *wink*

So I think people should stop seeing Christmas as a "Religous Holiday" or a "Pagan Holiday" and see it as a time for giving, sharing and family.
Seeing it as religious is ok you know. Im all for it, but it doesnt have to be seen that way in my opinion.
Because if someone looked at my house they would be like OMG she is soooooo PAGAN. LOL. I have Christmas decorations up the waaaazuuuuu. LOL.
But Im not. Im Christian and I celebrate Christmas for the laughter, the fun and the good times. Nothing more and nothing less.

SO THERE....*Sticking toungue out*

P.S. to those who oppose Christmas.... Party Poopers. LOL :) :)

TTYL
Elayna

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with it - and I'm Jewish! Peace is a theme of Christmas, and I think that this wreath is in keeping with the theme; in addition, it is not gaudy, contains no words, and is generally inoffensive.

I'm Jewish too and like Kacey I see no problem with this and as for it's being a symbol of Satanism.. what the ....? People send me cards and wish me Happy Christmas which I wish them back. Winter here is cold, dark and miserable, Christmas lights,trees, wreaths and such like cheer the place up and bring a smile to peoples faces.For a couple of days in the middle of winter people get together and there is a sort of peace. It's not perfect but people are trying!

One thing people over here are copying from you guys is decorating their houses with lights! Some grumps say it's gaudy but it's fun, bright and cheerful on a winters night. It lifts the spirits!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd probably go to a meeting and point out that all christmas symbols and nearly all christian symbols are pagan...and I'd bring the research to prove it. I would definitely point out the ones related to sex magic.

upnorthkyosa

PS - Although, I think that I read somewhere that the Peace Sign was actually a sign of evil. I read that the shape of it was actually the shape of a traditional crucifiction device. People were supposedly nailed to it and rolled around the town to make an example. Peace indeed.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The association has backed down...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...ml?source=mypi

Homeowner Lisa Jensen told The Associated Press on Monday that the board of directors of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association had apologized, called the incident a misunderstanding and had withdrawn its request for the wreath's removal.
Nice to know sometimes stupidity gets over-ruled

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How would I handle this?

Could not say it any better Thanks Shesulsa

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I just see it as another ignorant slap in the face by the people who think we have the right to "Freedom FROM Religion" as opposed to "Freedom OF Religion"

Latest Discussions