PC World?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, not the famous computer sales outlet but the distasteful fact that well intentioned sensitivity has lead to certain subjects becoming undebatable, indeed becoming unmentionable if you are not the 'right' skin colour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15166189

For once the official body seems to have made the right call but this is Sir David Starkey, one of the premier historians in the country, in the crosshairs of people being all too willing to take offence rather than have to think about what was being discussed. Sir David has been controversial on more than one occasion, being a man of strong opinions and not being afraid to speak them, including lambasting the Queen at one point (which did not endear him to my monarchist heart :D).

For the benefit of our American cousins, who might not have any idea who he is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Starkey

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didn't like his comment either. That wasn't a small slip.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Far too many people have become far too sensitive and thus we all must walk on egg-shells whenever we speak, casually, politically, thoughtfully, humorously, and any other manner that we want to express ourselves.
It's gotten too far out of hand for too long.
Grow up and realize that everyone can't accommodate your delicate sensitiveness.
I like to think that I've outgrown the stupidness we call being PC, example. A friend at my last job wanted to tell me a hearing impaired joke which was by the way funny as hell, but he had to spend two minutes clarifying and double checking with me so I wouldn't be offended. I told him afterwards that it was a hilarious joke only tempered by his pre-I'm not trying to offend you spiel.

By the way the joke was... "what do you call this (makes "implusive, jerky obscene gestures with his fingers" {read: da bird})... a deaf person with tourette syndrome. :lol2:

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver, I don't think I'm overly PC. Referring to the riots/disorder, he said "the whites have become black." That is an extremely unflattering thing to say about an entire race. That's not a small slip, that's a complete cock-up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did not have the time to read his comment, but the Wiki makes him sound like a jerk (rather the past VP's first name, really)

However.

I think that abrasive jerks like that are needed to shake our PCness up a little.

I mean, they are editing classic literature now, for crying out loud!

Latest Discussions