Patricia Neal: Fighting All The Way

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Long been a favorite of mine to watch. Her fighting against the effects of her stroke throughout the rest of her life, puts her into the group of Martialist spirits that fight adversity in our lives where-ever it may be found.
RIP Patricia you deserve a great rest. :asian:
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/oscarwinner-actress-patricia-neal-dies-age-84-ap?nc
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Patricia Neal, the willowy, husky-voiced actress who won an Academy Award for 1963's "Hud" and then survived several strokes to continue acting, died on Sunday. She was 84.
Neal had lung cancer and died at her home in Edgartown, Mass., on Martha's Vineyard, said longtime friend Bud Albers of Knoxville.
Neal was already an award-winning Broadway actress when she won her Oscar for her role as a housekeeper to the Texas father (Melvyn Douglas) battling his selfish, amoral son (Paul Newman).
Less than two years after winning the Academy Award, she suffered a series of strokes in 1965 at age 39. Her struggle to regain walking and talking is regarded as epic in the annals of stroke rehabilitation. She returned to the screen to earn another Oscar nomination and three Emmy nominations.
The Patricia Neal Rehabilitation Center that concentrates on helping people recover from strokes and spinal cord and brain injuries is named for her in Knoxville, where she grew up.
<snip>
Friends said her sorrows gave her an inner toughness that brought new power to her screen portrayals.
"I don't lie down. ... I'm fightin' all the way," she said in 1999.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite so. A triumph for her to fight her way back to walking and talking as she did.

Latest Discussions