Palm Strike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since a palm strike is really not a TKD hand strike have any of you TKD'ers used a palm strike. I know as MA'ers alot of us have, but have you used it in a tournament or in real life?
Terry

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I can honestly say I have never used one outside of the classroom.

When you have used it was it with the finger turned or with a open hand?
Terry

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Since a palm strike is really not a TKD hand strike have any of you TKD'ers used a palm strike.

A palm heel strike is not a TKD hand strike? We use that technique in forms and it is one of the first techniques used in board breaking. Of course, I study American TKD. (ATA)

I know as MA'ers alot of us have, but have you used it in a tournament or in real life?

I don't use it in a tournament because we are only allowed to strike to the body and I find that uppercuts, hooks, and crosses deliver more "oompth". If we were allowed to strike to the head I would use palm heels and open hand strikes to prevent damage to my hands.

As for real life, I have never needed to strike another person. I have had to use some of the "traditional" blocks, some of the TKD foot work, and such, but never a "strike".

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
he just said he never used it. so neither!
I am not a TKDer so excuse my intrusion, i hope you dont mind me join this thread. when i practice with my bro, on pads or something, i feel palm strikes lack power. if i am to make the move and reach his face or something, im definitely delivering kunckles.
The only place i see great use of palm strikes is back palms, used to reach out far to distract the opponent and create a "stinging" feeling.

I do not know why you would use closed fingers because when you strike with the palm you are using the lower side of your palm, so relaxing the fingers might be ideal. unless you have another idea :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
Hand position depends on what I"m going to do "next" with it. Tongiht in our technique line we used the palm heel to the chin but then turned the fingers to our left to snake around and grab the back of the head. I also taught a student a palm heel strike with the fingers pointed towards our right because my next move was to shove my index finger and thumb in their eye socket. I have also used a palm heel in a torqueing fashion to where the fingers almost pointed down to get maximum hit on the solar plexus. Take your pick, I do a lot of different types.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
... i feel palm strikes lack power. if i am to make the move and reach his face or something, im definitely delivering kunckles.

I respectfully disagree with you. If I had my choice I'd rather open palm strike someone in the head rather than use my closed fist. I personally don't want to break my knuckles on someone's skull. There's a lot of body mechanics required behind those strikes to make them effective.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I respectfully disagree with you. If I had my choice I'd rather open palm strike someone in the head rather than use my closed fist. I personally don't want to break my knuckles on someone's skull. There's a lot of body mechanics required behind those strikes to make them effective.
alright, i'll let you disagree with me this time, but dont do it again (kidding)
could you please be more specific as where you direct the palm?
according to physics if the surface is smaller the impact will be smaller. but according to MA if you know where to direct it then it could make even a bigger impact, that part i lack my friend
thanks!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mantis I too have to dis-agree with you I have used the palm strike in real life and have broke the guys rib cage with it, the palm strike delivers more of a area blow than just a target blow. When I state with the finger turned I'm talking about just just turning down thew second knuckle to avoid someone from using your fingers against you and delivering the blow from the heel of the palm.
Terry

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Mantis I too have to dis-agree with you I have used the palm strike in real life and have broke the guys rib cage with it, the palm strike delivers more of a area blow than just a target blow. When I state with the finger turned I'm talking about just just turning down thew second knuckle to avoid someone from using your fingers against you and delivering the blow from the heel of the palm.
Terry
yes sir, good point!
is your palm side-ways or is it straight?
so are you delivering with the side of the palm or the (knife) or the palm itself?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
yes sir, good point!
is your palm side-ways or is it straight?
so are you delivering with the side of the palm or the (knife) or the palm itself?
Om that particular stituation it was staight although I do turn it sideways from time to time just to stop an opponet from coming in along both side of the outer rib cage under the arm pits.
Terry

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Om that particular stituation it was staight although I do turn it sideways from time to time just to stop an opponet from coming in along both side of the outer rib cage under the arm pits.
Terry
i see
my palm strikes are always side ways. no wonder
thanks for teaching me about palm strikes. i appreciate it sir!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
i see
my palm strikes are always side ways. no wonder
thanks for teaching me about palm strikes. i appreciate it sir!
You are welcome Mantis always enjoy a good converstation.
Terry

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
could you please be more specific as where you direct the palm?

To start with when you rotate your right punch over you are using the same torque as you would with your palm heel strike. Look at the action of your punch, slowly. Once you start to clench your fist for impact open it up to strike with the heel of palm. Move at a slightly downward angle at first to get used to it. This has the same principle as a punch. Flex your fingers pointed upwards and keep them slightly apart. Not like your giving a high five or something but fractions of an inch that feels comfortable. Next, you have to get the shoulder, and back up mass behind you....

However it's almost 11:30 and I'm physically drained from tonights class and need to shower before bed. Catch you tomorrow.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are required to do a palm strike through 3 boards for bb. Well, some of us are. Then concrete for the rest of us that aren't so favored for 1st dan. Its also a self defense technique to the jaw/face for yellow belt. I imagine it is pretty effective if you can go through concrete already so I'm glad I did. And I've used that palm/concrete in tournaments alot. TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love palm strikes. They can be evil %-} Anyways, we use palm strikes in our dojang. I have also used them in breaking. I shattered boards with it hehehehehehe *evil grin* We can't use them during sparring though :( They would kinda hurt LOL.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
he just said he never used it. so neither!
I am not a TKDer so excuse my intrusion, i hope you dont mind me join this thread. when i practice with my bro, on pads or something, i feel palm strikes lack power. if i am to make the move and reach his face or something, im definitely delivering kunckles.
The only place i see great use of palm strikes is back palms, used to reach out far to distract the opponent and create a "stinging" feeling.

I do not know why you would use closed fingers because when you strike with the palm you are using the lower side of your palm, so relaxing the fingers might be ideal. unless you have another idea :)
How in Gods name does a palm strike have less power then a close handed strike?
Sean

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As it was taught to me, the primary purpose of a palm strike is to be a mid section strike, targeting soft tissue, intended to cause internal damage as opposed to the surface damage you would get from a normal punch. However, I've found that a palm strike can generate more than enough power to stop a large opponent. A palm strike to say, a cheek bone may not cut, but it sure will inflate your opponents eye and scramble his eggs. Besides, you don't cut your knuckles that way....and I have such pretty hands...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen palm strikes to the area just below the nose. When I've seen it used in sparring, the fingers were curled.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
The palm strike is an important weapon in our school, and we execute it, as you say, with fingers tucked in. Also, as for it being/not being a TKD strike, it is used repeatedly in Palgwe Yuk Jang (6).

Latest Discussions