Pacquiao beaten by an Aussie.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I watched this fight and thought it was really close. I felt Horn was coming forward and that exhibited a lot of ring control. Manny had moments of brilliance in counter fighting. In a really close fight who knows which way the judges will go. Manny seemed to have no problem with the judges scores and since he has a stipulation in his contract that there will be a rematch he will get another shot at Horn and an even bigger pay day!

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
is there a particular one you r referring too? but his fights arnt boxing so the rules would be different r they not?

kimo is a good one. But royce used to get panel beaten in fights.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 10 point must scoring system can produce some weird results, especially since 10-8 and 10-7 rounds are typically awarded only for knockdowns or extremely dominant rounds.

Imagine fighters A and B have a 12 round match ...

Fighter B edges out his opponent in 7 rounds, averaging 10 punches landed per round, while A averages only 9. (For purposes of simplification, we'll stick to just punches landed and skip the other factors, although the principle would be the same for those.) That's seven 10-9 rounds for B/

Fighter A wins 5 rounds, but by a wider margin, averaging 15 punches landed per round while B stays consistent with an average of 10. Unless B gets knocked down, those rounds will also probably be scored as 10-9.

At the end of the fight, fighter A has landed a total of 138 punches, while fighter B has only landed 120. Nevertheless, Fighter B wins the fight with a score of 115-113.

It's a similar concept to how a US presidential candidate can win the electoral college while losing the popular vote.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's what is hard for boxing, is what style do the judges like? What fighter looks like they are doing more?

What would have happened even if the independent judges would have ruled in Pacquiao's favor? Everyone remembers the Bradley robbery against Pacquiao and an independent committee did find that Pac should have won the fight.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what is hard for boxing, is what style do the judges like? What fighter looks like they are doing more?

What would have happened even if the independent judges would have ruled in Pacquiao's favor? Everyone remembers the Bradley robbery against Pacquiao and an independent committee did find that Pac should have won the fight.

The thing is you don't get to that level of boxing and not know the rules of boxing and how judges judge.

That is the sport they both willingly compete in.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is you don't get to that level of boxing and not know the rules of boxing and how judges judge.

That is the sport they both willingly compete in.

I agree, but judges still have preferences on what they like to look for. You can have all three judges look at a flurry of activity and score it three different ways based on what aspect they are looking for. I have heard many comment that this occurred in this fight, when Horn would throw a flurry and didn't really land anything at all but was the "busier" fighter even though Pac landed more punches and did more damage.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree, but judges still have preferences on what they like to look for. You can have all three judges look at a flurry of activity and score it three different ways based on what aspect they are looking for. I have heard many comment that this occurred in this fight, when Horn would throw a flurry and didn't really land anything at all but was the "busier" fighter even though Pac landed more punches and did more damage.

Yeah. But twice?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. But twice?

I meant with the controversy of the initial decision. I will be honest, I have not watched this one yet.

It does sound like a very close fight either way.

The one I still can't believe was the first Bradley fight with Pac. The independent group came back all in favor for Pac. But, nothing happened the loss is still on the record and he smashed him in the rematch. Boxing (and MMA) has some really bad decisions that make you wonder what they were watching. But, in this case from what I have read about it, the fight was judged correctly, even though people didn't like it.