Pacific NW Reunion

L

Les Sipes

It is time to remind everyone of the great gathering we are having on April 3rd, 2004.
Last year, we had a wonderful event of intense training cross section of instruction and sweet fellowship.
Please see our website at www.reunionof warriors .com for information.
This years instructors will be-
Dr. T.R. Crimi, Grandmaster of Hikari Ryuza Ryu JuJutsu
Professor John Sepulveda
Professor Bob White
Sifu Marty Zinanovich
And I am proud to announce our very special guests Sigung Steve LaBounty and Sibok Tom Kelly, along with some very honored guests from the LaBounty family.
Please contact me with any questions.
We hope to see you in Seattle. Les Sipes

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les Sipes
It is time to remind everyone of the great gathering we are having on April 3rd, 2004.
Last year, we had a wonderful event of intense training cross section of instruction and sweet fellowship.
Please see our website at www.reunionof warriors .com for information.

With all do respect I would like to correct you. I finally found the web site it is www.reunionofwarriors.com. The seminar looks very intresting and informative. Good luck.

Good Luck
Rick

OP
I

Iron Dog

I attended last years event and had a ball. I'm really looking forward to Mr. White
seminar, though I probably can't do all the kicks he does or teaches.
This is a fun and non stop event, but please don't let me go into town again, I can't afford it. The space needle was cool however.
What will Mr. Zinanovich be teaching? Blade, stick stuff or Kenpo? sounds like he could do all of it.
Patrick

OP
L

Les Sipes

I believe he is going to be teaching "Blade and Club Disarms"
It's great that we'll see you again, thanks for responding.
Les

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian
Sound like fun. Open to any style/ discipline? Thanks Brian King

Absolutely Open to Anyone interested in expanding their martial arts experiences!

You won't find a better host than Les Sipes, for a camp or workshop such as this.

I was there last year and it was AWESOME! You will love the brotherhood and knowledge that is shared within those that choose to attend.

Plan to attend... you won't be disappointed, "I" guarantee it! :)

:asian:

OP
W

warrior.mama

Mr. Sipes

I look forward to this year's Reunion of Warriors. I agree with Mr. Conatser - last year's was awesome.

Thank you for all your work in bringing so many seniors to the Pacific Northwest.

I encourage everyone to sign up and come join the fun!

warrior.mama

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Absolutely Open to Anyone interested in expanding their martial arts experiences!

You won't find a better host than Les Sipes, for a camp or workshop such as this.

I was there last year and it was AWESOME! You will love the brotherhood and knowledge that is shared within those that choose to attend.

Plan to attend... you won't be disappointed, "I" guarantee it! :)

:asian:

Yep!!!!!!
%-}

OP
B

bradw

Thank you everyone for bringing this up. I put up a post last night on KenpoNet asking about this so I am glad to see some responses here. Mr. Sipes, you said that Mr. Zaninovic will be teaching knife and club disarms? That sounds awesome! I am really anxious to get in some good real-world weapon disarm training. Do we need to bring our own training weapons or will they be provided? Also, when do I need to register by? I am going to try my best to get up there -- if the GoldenDragon says its good, it must be a can't miss situation!

Thanks!
-Brad

OP
L

Les Sipes

Hey Brad-
Thanx for writing.
We are looking forward to improving on last year, which should always be the case. However, we had such a success last year, that our work is cut out for us.
Sifu Marty Zaninovich is teaching a "Blade and Club Disarm" class that even the special guests will attend. Sigung LaBounty is excited about this class, especially.
My focus is to createn intense, politically free fellowship and learning experience for all martial artists. As Sigung so aptly says, "Let's demonstrate our knowledge on the floor, share, and leave the divisions outside".
Sifu Z would like everyone to bring 2 escrima sticks, and 2 wooden practice knives. I will do my best to secure a few for emergency sake.
Dr. Crimi will be throwing us around, and providing a comparative picture with his groundwork and grappling expertise.
Prof. Sepulveda is dynamic in his movement, (I could watch his class all day!)
And he will be bringing his insight into Kenpo principles.
Prof. Bob White was a special guest last year, and I was so taken by his spiritual humility, that I found that I would be remiss in my obligation as a Kenpo instructor, if I didn't seek him out for this years gathering.
If you have a copy of "The Journey", put it in your bag, because our special guests are two of the pioneers and foundation developers of our system.
Sigung Steve LaBounty is the ageless warrior. He has been in the art for 40+ years and a dierect pupil of the SGM Ed Parker, as was our other honored guest, Sibok Tom Kelly.
I am excited to share Seattle with all my brothers and sisters and looking forward to seeing you.
Thanx again, Les Sipes

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had the pleasure and honor of training at Mr. White's studio for several years. He is one of the most legitimately kind and humble men you will ever meet, and lets his fascinations with running, tennis, fishing, etc., disguise his awesome understanding and grasp of Kenpo. He may never tell you he's demonstrating multiple principles while teaching, but pay close attention to what he does...there is much more going on for the interested eye than just what he's discussing. I regret I won't be able to attend this event; the line-up of presenters and instructors is excellent. I envy all of you who will be there. Enjoy.

OP
L

Les Sipes

Thank you for this reply-
Last year, while I was sitting, and taking care of the administrative concerns of the event, and everyone else was in class, I had the opportunity to sit and talk to Dave Hebler, Dennis Conatser, and Prof. White, both alone and together.
A younger female student jammed her wrist during the day and I was breaking an ice pack for her, and she expressed that it was sad that I couldn't attend all of the classes because I was attending to the event as a whole.
I had to tell her not to feel bad for me, I was in the presence of some of the greatest minds and teachers in Kenpo. I mean how often do you get to sit and pick the minds of such company?
They shared drills, histories of training, stories of the SGM, and embraced me as a brother. I couldn't get enough, but all three guests were not only approachable, but inviting. And above all, they reinforced my spirit, and not only the path I was on, but totally supported my attitude that I had found the correct teacher and guide in that journey in Sigung LaBounty.
And as for Prof. White. He shared the story of how he sets his shoes at night far under the bed when he goes to sleep, and he put a strip of masking tape on the floor even with the edge of the bed, and wrote on it. In the morning when he is reaching for his shoes, he looks at that tape, where he wrote,
"As long as your'e on your knees..."
I recognise him as an inspiational teacher, as I do Sigung, and those who have had the opportunity to train with him are so fortunate, because with all three of these men, they exemplify the adage, "The spirit ain't worth spit, without exercise."
Thanx for your response, Les

OP
W

warrior.mama

Sir

Reading your post made me think about last year's reunion. It was an awesome experience both in and out of the classroom. Being surrounded by so many knowledgeable and dedicated people who have been in kenpo for so many years was humbling and inspiring. From beginning to end, I felt like I was learning, and I'm sure I only absorbed a few of the lessons being taught.

I can't wait for this year's reunion. Thank you for bringing the reunion to us.

The website is reunionofwarriors.com if anyone wants to check out the details. It's April 3.

warrior.mama

OP
J

James B.

I'm really looking forward to this years gathering. I had the good fortune of being present at last years and it was an incredible experiance to learn and grow as a martial artist alongside my brothers and sisters. besides the before mentioned 2 escrima sticks and 2 wooden practice knives, will I need to bring a cup, mouth guard, etc. ?

Yours in fellowship,

James B.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm excited. This will be my first one. I'm so looking forward to it. I should be able to borrow the sticks and knifes from my dojo.

will I need to bring a cup?
Whenever I step on the matts, I have a cup on. Would you call that a rule of thumb?
As far as sparring equip or other items. I'm going to bring it all. I'd rather have extra stuff then not have it.

OP
W

warrior.mama

Mr. Sipes

Are there still openings for people to sign up for the reunion or is it full?

Looking forward to the 3rd.

warrior.mama

OP
L

Les Sipes

Hey, WarriorMama-
I will be taking everyone that wants to attend at any time, and thank you for
bringing this up. I have had an outstanding registration, but will not be turning anyone away. We're all gonna have a good time.
Les :partyon:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be flying in Friday afternoon and will be at the program on Saturday so look forward to some Texas representation.

Regards, jb :asian:

OP
L

Les Sipes

JB,
Outstanding! Do you have a ride from the airport? If not, give me some details and I will set it up.
Les

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Les Sipes said:
JB,
Outstanding! Do you have a ride from the airport? If not, give me some details and I will set it up.
Les

Thanks for the offer. I should be ok. I'm staying with a buddy (who is picking me up) and working on some Silat and Doce Pares the day before coming over to the seminar. Then I'm borrowing his car on Saturday to hang with my Kenpo family.

jb :asian: