Outrage Grows Over Ad Showing Planes Crashing Into NYC

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Outrage Grows Over Ad Showing Planes Crashing Into NYC

Wednesday, September 02, 2009
foxnews_story.gif
EXCERPT:

The World Wildlife Fund is joining a growing chorus of voices expressing outrage over an ad bearing its symbol that shows dozens of planes bearing down on lower Manhattan with a tag line that reads, "The Tsunami Killed 100 Times More People Than 9/11."
The ad was leaked in the week prior to the anniversary of the attacks of Sept 11, with copy that states, "The planet is brutally powerful. Respect it. Preserve it."
The WWF says it never approved the ad, issuing a press release to assure critics that it rejected the ad proposal, which was done by Brazilian design firm DDB Brasil.
END EXCERPT
They made a video too...
WARNING!!! OFFENSIVE VIDEO!!! WATCH AT OWN RISK!!!

Link to video
Apparently, someone at DDB Brasil needs an *** kicking...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Tsunami....is a Natural disaster....NO one can prevent this from happening...? ...only point out the awareness..

(9/11) airplanes is preventable from happening again...one can work to prevent this....

What can people in NY do or any major city do to save lives from a Tsunami? ....give floatation devices? ..snokels?

Sounds like a bad AD.......Man makes the AD's...man can also be dumb? ...

Aloha,

PS: Advertising is a business...NOT all business makes good decisions...?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is in bad taste I would agree.
It looks like the type of ad that ultra conservation radicals would've created.

We have woefully mistreated our earth, on that I agree and we DO need to preserve it so that future generations can still enjoy it and even take steps/measures (much more so than what we're doing right now) to help clean up our messes, pollution, etc. etc.
I admit I'm a tree hugger and I want to keep on loving nature as it was meant to be loved.

But I would not dredge up horrible memories as an example and compare it to a natural disaster to try and make that point.

Like Still Learning said... Tsunami's, along with earthquakes, wildfires (naturally started), hurricanes, tornadoes, land/mud slides, floods, avalanches and a host of other natural disasters cannot be prevented. For a lot of them all we can do is either get out of the way or protect ourselves best as we can.
Respect it? Sure, for the sheer power that these things represent, they teach us the humility that we need to have to care for the planet.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It looks like the type of ad that ultra conservation radicals would've created.

Quite so. The weird thing is that the WWF is not a radical group. I'd expect this from someone like the Earth Liberation Front (the guys who take responsibility for bombing new real estate developments) but not WWF. It seems really odd - how could there be this kind of communication gap between WWF and the ad agency? And could this just happen to get leaked? Something don't add up.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Graphic: Jewish boy being shoved into an oven kicking & screaming by man in Nazi uniform while his emaciated parents look on in horror.
Voiceover: The Holocaust resulted in the deaths of approximately 6 million Jews...
Graphic: Overhead view of Germany circa 1939. Nazi concentration camps begin to dwindle from the map.
Voiceover: The Tsunami of 2005 killed 280,000 people...that's about 20 times less than the number of Jews killed during the Holocaust...
On Screen: Hate is brutally powerful. Respect it. Screw Mother Nature, we have bigger problems that we can affect.

Bad taste doesn't begin to describe it. There is a line one shouldn't cross in good conscious and good taste. I work in Marketing... Getting the message across and imprinted in the viewers brain is paramount, but not at the expense of decency. At some point you're simply whoring yourself out for a dollar. If you're not imaginative enough to get that message out without stooping to such sensationalistic garbage, then perhaps you need to find another career.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Tsunami....is a Natural disaster....NO one can prevent this from happening...? ...only point out the awareness..

(9/11) airplanes is preventable from happening again...one can work to prevent this....

What can people in NY do or any major city do to save lives from a Tsunami? ....give floatation devices? ..snokels?

Sounds like a bad AD.......Man makes the AD's...man can also be dumb? ...

Aloha,

PS: Advertising is a business...NOT all business makes good decisions...?

Still Learning,
Climate change is the latest strategy in the quest to coerce the masses into adopting the rigid standards of an extremist few. Once you accept the premise that mankind's behavior can affect the climate, it's just a small step to accept that we must be held responsible for any adverse weather conditions.

The idea behind the ad is, "We can prevent tsunamis and other disasters as long as you all live the way we want you to."

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, CoryKS.....Climate changes.....some is Natural...many is Man made..

Populations...is about 6 billion people...our resources will peak out at about 9 billion people....in the world....

This will make the world heavier...the world will wobble...more...hence climate changes...? just having fun here..

Looks like the world have problems....climates,populations,wars,diease's, and etc...

What can we do? ...what are the best solutions? ....is there ways everyone can agree to do?
-------------------------

Thank-you and Aloha,

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

Populations...is about 6 billion people...our resources will peak out at about 9 billion people....in the world....

This will make the world heavier...the world will wobble...more...hence climate changes...? just having fun here..

Looks like the world have problems....climates,populations,wars,diease's, and etc...

What can we do? ...what are the best solutions? ....is there ways everyone can agree to do?

Thank-you and Aloha,

I dunno...trim the fat maybe? :rolleyes:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
An ad designed to build support has instead offended and alienated the nation. Nice work.

Were the cause so just, the emergency so dire, one would think they could convey that all on its own merits.... without exploiting and denigrating any other tragedy.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Graphic: Jewish boy being shoved into an oven kicking & screaming by man in Nazi uniform while his emaciated parents look on in horror.
Voiceover: The Holocaust resulted in the deaths of approximately 6 million Jews...
Graphic: Overhead view of Germany circa 1939. Nazi concentration camps begin to dwindle from the map.
Voiceover: The Tsunami of 2005 killed 280,000 people...that's about 20 times less than the number of Jews killed during the Holocaust...
On Screen: Hate is brutally powerful. Respect it. Screw Mother Nature, we have bigger problems that we can affect.

Bad taste doesn't begin to describe it. There is a line one shouldn't cross in good conscious and good taste. I work in Marketing... Getting the message across and imprinted in the viewers brain is paramount, but not at the expense of decency. At some point you're simply whoring yourself out for a dollar. If you're not imaginative enough to get that message out without stooping to such sensationalistic garbage, then perhaps you need to find another career.
Love the concept... what an excellent way to fight back against the Ad...:lol With the way marketing (no offense to you) has been going... well this ad really didn't come as a surprise. I admit that it was a brilliantly conceived idea... but just totally in bad taste. Yours (above) shows how far it can go but it's wonderful counterpoint!

Thank-you and Aloha,
I dunno...trim the fat maybe? :rolleyes:
What do you think wars are for? :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions