Other arts view of Aikido

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mao
It's never to late to take up such an obviously superior style again.

It is offered near me and I always liked its scientific design--it's a thinking person's art--and its emphasis on philosophy, but I think I may look into the BJJ that's offered in the area first. Self-defense is not even my principal goal at this point in my life but the BJJ simply interests me.

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
The reasons that you list for liking aikido are among the plethora of reasons that I began also. It enhanced my movement in many other areas too.

OP
L

LeatheJ1

A strike is a block.

A block is a lock.

A lock is a throw.

Once you see this, you step into a whole new world. Aikido, Kenpo, Kung Fu, Arnis are all the same thing. Keep your eyes open -

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I try to get philosophical like that it hurts.?
:rofl:
just playin'

OP
K

kimura

I my view there are a lot of misunderstandings and also very good points in this discussion.

When I teach Aikido I always explain that the grabbing of the wrist is not because we in Aikido believe that people attack by grabbing the wrist. People who attack like this is just plain stupid. The grabbing of the wrist is a basic way of learning to feel energy in a movement. When a person gives energy when grabbing the wrist, this is actually an early stage of being able to use the energy in a jab or a punch. If we skip the level of grapping the wrist, people tend to block instead, as they get afraid to be hit. When a person reaches a certain level s/he will be able to understand the similarity of grabbing and hitting. The only difference is the force and speed of the energy.

Does Aikido techniques work in reality?? Some does not! Then the clever person might ask why practice these techniques then? We practice techniques that cannot be applied as selfdefence as they have another purpose! There are techniques (or I should rather call them movements), that shows where in a technique the correct breathing should be. Other how to fell and move energy. All in all, being able to move freely among all Aikido techniques gives the possibility of receiving all attacks.

For a highly skilled Aikido practitioner, there are no techniques at all. However, to reach that level it is necessary to be able to do about 400 Aikido techniques...

What makes Aikido so strong, is the principles of movement and not the actual techniques, they are just a tool to be able to use the principles...!

I have 22 years of experience in Martial Arts, not only Aikido, but also Judo, Ju Jutsu and Tae Kwon Do, and I must say, when I met Aikido, I suddenly understood that the physical movements in any martial art is so limited, and if a person only focus on exact techniques s/he will never meet the potential of any martial art.

I am not implying that Aikido is the top of the mountain, but merely that any Martial art would be a lot better if it brought in the principles of Aikido...

Kimura...:)

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by kimura
I my view there are a lot of misunderstandings and also very good points in this discussion.

When I teach Aikido I always explain that the grabbing of the wrist is not because we in Aikido believe that people attack by grabbing the wrist. People who attack like this is just plain stupid. The grabbing of the wrist is a basic way of learning to feel energy in a movement. When a person gives energy when grabbing the wrist, this is actually an early stage of being able to use the energy in a jab or a punch. If we skip the level of grapping the wrist, people tend to block instead, as they get afraid to be hit. When a person reaches a certain level s/he will be able to understand the similarity of grabbing and hitting. The only difference is the force and speed of the energy.

Does Aikido techniques work in reality?? Some does not! Then the clever person might ask why practice these techniques then? We practice techniques that cannot be applied as selfdefence as they have another purpose! There are techniques (or I should rather call them movements), that shows where in a technique the correct breathing should be. Other how to fell and move energy. All in all, being able to move freely among all Aikido techniques gives the possibility of receiving all attacks.

For a highly skilled Aikido practitioner, there are no techniques at all. However, to reach that level it is necessary to be able to do about 400 Aikido techniques...

What makes Aikido so strong, is the principles of movement and not the actual techniques, they are just a tool to be able to use the principles...!

I have 22 years of experience in Martial Arts, not only Aikido, but also Judo, Ju Jutsu and Tae Kwon Do, and I must say, when I met Aikido, I suddenly understood that the physical movements in any martial art is so limited, and if a person only focus on exact techniques s/he will never meet the potential of any martial art.

I am not implying that Aikido is the top of the mountain, but merely that any Martial art would be a lot better if it brought in the principles of Aikido...

Kimura...:)
I think that was very well put sir! In Clandestine Black Dragon Kenpo Karatejutsu we practice Aiki Flowing Drills. The conceptual analogy of motion is taken to new levels of skill by this methodological practice. The understanding of parrying, push-pull, circular looping elbow motions combined with vicious striking ( in our case counter-striking), circular stepping to irimi and counter-strike, counter-strike and irimi, angluar circular blocking to trap, kuzushi and use the vicious counter-strike/choke/strangle as the finishing throw etc,! There are no limilts to the aiki flowing once the initial contact is made! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
K

kimura

Chiduce
:eek:

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is nice to know that someone outthere has some of the same ideas about what they are doing when practising their respective martial arts.

I once went to an all Japan Kenpo exibition, and I was very impressed. The style do combine the toughness of the hitting and kicking arts, but with a good flowing movement. I liked it and understand well why you practice Kenpo.

Thanks ...

Kimura

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chiduce
I think that was very well put sir!

I agree! I liked the comment that For a highly skilled Aikido practitioner, there are no techniques at all.

I sometimes think that all martial arts are about off-balancing the opponent--whether by striking to make them lose their focus and so stumble or by judo or aikido techniques.

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by arnisador

I sometimes think that all martial arts are about off-balancing the opponent--whether by striking to make them lose their focus and so stumble or by judo or aikido techniques.
Thank You, Honorable Sir! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by kimura
Chiduce
:eek:

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is nice to know that someone outthere has some of the same ideas about what they are doing when practising their respective martial arts.

I once went to an all Japan Kenpo exibition, and I was very impressed. The style do combine the toughness of the hitting and kicking arts, but with a good flowing movement. I liked it and understand well why you practice Kenpo.

Thanks ...

Kimura
Thank You, Honorable Sir! Salute! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

Latest Discussions