Ossie Davis 1917-2005

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While Ossie Davis may not have been a martial artist in the traditional sense, he (with his wife Ruby Dee) spent most of his life fighting for civil rights as well as perfecting his craft, without worrying about the consequences to his career. IMHO, that is what made him a different kind of warrior, but a warrior nonetheless. To see comments posted by folks who worked with him on one of his last films & links to other eulogies, go to: http://www.bubbahotep.com/ossie.shtml

Rest in Peace, Mr. Davis.
:asian:

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score

I still think one of my favorite of his roles was as the limo driver "Marshall" in Joe versus the Volcano.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OUMoose said:

I still think one of my favorite of his roles was as the limo driver "Marshall" in Joe versus the Volcano.
Yeah, it was a small role but a memorable one. One of my favorites too.

:asian:

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ossie Davis had some powerful ideals. Thankfully, they will live on with the next generation. His son Guy Davis is carrying the torch to improve civil rights and promote understanding. See http://www.guydavis.com/biography.html where he is working with the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Guy Davis is also one of my favorite blues musicians. He, just like his father, has an uncanny ability to walk in another person's shoes and understand where others are coming from.

My condolences goes out to the Ossie Davis family.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
cotton comes to harlem was one of may all time favorite flicks which he wrote and directed-- if you liked him as an actor-- check out bubba ho-tep, a strange horror film that has him playing JFK in some rest home where he teams up with an Old Elvis to fight a mummy- he makes it work.

rip

g.

Latest Discussions