Optimizing the Newer SOG Pentagon Sheath

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
pentagon05.jpg

When I first obtained a SOG Pentagon, I loved the knife -- and I detested the factory sheath, which was an attempt to be too many things at once and did none of them well. This was not a problem, as I had Bob Humelbaugh at Survival Sheath make a new sheath for me:

pentagon02.jpg

I forgot about the whole matter (there are always other products to review) until, recently, a friend of mine ordered a new Pentagon through my online store. When it came in and I checked it before dropping it off with him, I was surprised to discover the sheath was very different.

Gone was the giant boot-belt sheath from before. In its place was a minimalist Kydex/Concealex-type model that was as slim as possible. It still had a belt attachment that I didn't like, but it was simply screwed on with Blade-Tech hardware. I promptly removed it.

pentagonredux03.jpg

pentagonredux04.jpg

Recently I went to Blade-Tech.com and ordered several Tek-Loks and clips with extra hardware, as you never know when these will optimize an otherwise unworkable Kydex or Concealex Sheath. (Such was the case with my CRKT Hissatsu -- I didn't like the belt flange attachment it shipped with, but when I replaced this with a tek-lok, the whole thing begcame a good carry package.)

I chose, for my Pentagon, one of the clips. This is a plastic flange with Tek-Lok hardware mounting holes that can be affixed to anything a Tek-Lok would fit. It transformed my SOG's sheath into a handy inside-the-waistband model.

pentagonredux07.jpg

pentagonredux06.jpg

pentagonredux05.jpg

I'm extremely pleased with the new setup and will be again carrying my Pentagon.

pentagonredux01.jpg

pentagonredux02.jpg

Latest Discussions