Opinions Needed for a Coupon Ad

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the instructor's section here, but would like everyone's opinion.

I am thinking about running a coupon in one of the local school's yearly coupon books. The books sell for $5-10 and are filled with coupons for local businesses. The books are a big deal in our area and everyone buys them.

I may run a coupon for my class and want to know how everyone thinks I should word it. There are 2 possibilites:

1) "This coupon is for 1 month free of martial art classes."
or
2) "This coupon is good for either 1 month free of martial art classes or one free uniform (with first paid month)."

Which one should I use? The first idea is straight forward and simple, but the second may draw more attention or curiosity.

Please, I want everyone to turn off what they know and try to look at this through the eyes of a parent of student who knows nothing about the martial arts. Look at this from a consumer viewpoint with no martial arts knowledge.

BTW, as it happens, I sell the uniforms to my students for the same amount as one month of classes, so they equal the same to me in the end. I just wonder which one would seem more appealing.

AoG

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I look at it as someone with no MA experience, I think the first one is the better option.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most people if given a coupon will use it especially if it is a free one month class. (mostly kids will be signing up.) by their parents.

If they like it they will join and BUY a uniform after trying it for a month.

Go with the first one....it is better........Aloha ( We do this too..one month free lessons.)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed. Option 1 is better. That's how my former school got most of their students.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have to put in another vote for the first option. It would just seem like you are "getting" more with a free month of training even though it is exactly the same in the end. People love free stuff, bottom line, and if it looks like a free training month without any outlay of cash....

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
on the other hand... (and it looks like i'm in the minority here)

we use 'free x with purchase of y' offers and have for about half a year.

what we found was we had fewer people respond, but a much higher percentage of the respondants finished their intro course and signed up for regular lessons.

it helped us to focus our energy on the right candidates.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
on the other hand... (and it looks like i'm in the minority here)

we use 'free x with purchase of y' offers and have for about half a year.

what we found was we had fewer people respond, but a much higher percentage of the respondants finished their intro course and signed up for regular lessons.

it helped us to focus our energy on the right candidates.

We also used the "free uniform with purchase of one month of class" approach. That way works well too. It looks like this is not what Option 2 is saying. Option 2 is giving a choice between a class or a uniform, but not both.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I might add perhaps one week free lessons would be a safer bet. As you may get many coming in on the one month and leave. one week you can schedule better and if they like it They join.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I probably will go with the first, simple option: one free month.
Keep the comments coming though!

AoG

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I might add perhaps one week free lessons would be a safer bet. As you may get many coming in on the one month and leave. one week you can schedule better and if they like it They join.

I agree with Robert here. The idea is not to sell yourself short, or devalue what you do. When advertising, you should always convince the public that what you have to offer is of great value. Even to offer one class free should be an enticement to bring in those who were thinking about training but procrastinating. This gets them in the door without having to give away so much of your valuable services.

With coupons, try reading the fine print on coupons from major corporations (McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc). The coupon is usually simple in design, but looks professional with a good, clear logo. Note that there is always an expiration date, and comments such as, limit one coupon per household, must be 18 or older, or have attend with parent present, by appointment only, and "other restrictions may apply." Although the value of the uniform and class can be stated on the coupon, the important thing is to state the "cash value of 1/1,000 of a cent" This prevents the legal redemption for cash at face value (they give you the coupon and you pay them the cost of a uniform and one month's training).

The word "FREE" often stands out to the consumer, thus you might state it as "Try One Class Free ~ plus get one FREE uniform with your first month's paid tuition."

These are just some of the things that I have applied when designing coupons for my schools.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The word "FREE" often stands out to the consumer, thus you might state it as "Try One Class Free ~ plus get one FREE uniform with your first month's paid tuition."

This is a great option. Though I'd recommend more than 1 free class. I'd give them at least 2. My current school gives 1 free tryout class to anyone at anytime. My former school gave 2 free weeks tryout to anyone at anytime. Neither one gives free uniforms with signup though. The free uniform with signup after a minimal tryout period is very attractive. My son's TKD class does have a standing free uniform with signup deal, but no tryout class. You can observe, but not participate.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say to go with the free classes. The reason being, is that people can train without a uniform, and if they decide they don't like it, then they don't have to buy one.

If they like it, then they'll most assuredly buy a uniform.