OODA Loop Drill...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
that's what I asked the student who did Larping. He trained real staff techniques. But he never gave me answer. It just confused me as to why he would know the real thing and then go and to pretend staff fighting. I will say that his wasn't this bad, but for me, the larping stuff is too much like when I was a kid playing "Batman and robber" to do it now just gives me a big disconnect with my reality perspective.
Different strokes and all that. I'd rather be around a self-aware LARPer than an unself-aware martial artist all day long. When folks refer to some martial artists as LARPers, it's not the pretend part that is the problem. It's the lack of self-awareness.

Frankly, that @Flying Crane is criticizing these folks is crazy to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd rather be around a self-aware LARPer than an unself-aware martial artist all day long.
Larper or not. I rather be around someone who is self-aware. I've been around and and have made friends with a diverse of people and like you say "Different strokes for different folks."

The only thing that I'm really cautious of are people who can't get out of character and I've seen a lot of people who are like that from every group from Larping to hip hop and everything in between. There are people who aren't Larpers that get stuck in a fantasy version of themselves.

Not a larper but it would appear he's stuck in a fantasy version of himself. He's probably self-aware. You can be with him. I'm going to stick with the clueless martial artist lol.
black-alien-54.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Larper or not. I rather be around someone who is self-aware. I've been around and and have made friends with a diverse of people and like you say "Different strokes for different folks."

The only thing that I'm really cautious of are people who can't get out of character and I've seen a lot of people who are like that from every group from Larping to hip hop and everything in between. There are people who aren't Larpers that get stuck in a fantasy version of themselves.

Not a larper but it would appear he's stuck in a fantasy version of himself. He's probably self-aware. You can be with him. I'm going to stick with the clueless martial artist lol.
black-alien-54.jpg
I agree with most of this, but you went pretty far out there at the end. I'll go with option number three. How you got from what I said to a guy who thinks he's an alien is beyond me. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

black-alien-54.jpg
I'm happy as long as my Dragon Con fan co-workers can come back to the other side lol. They gotta meet me half way lol. I can handle "strange" I just can't handle "overboard." Like those people who seem to be extremely happy all the time. with there A.M. sunshine. I know that some say those are the most unhappiest people in the world but sometimes. I think they are just full on happy.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How you got from what I said to a guy who thinks he's an alien is beyond me
He's was just extreme. You should know a De-Rail when you see one.. What was this thread originally about now?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Somehow "OODA Loop Drill" morphs into Larping and Dragon Con. Go figure. This place is like a Text version of Youtube.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm happy as long as my Dragon Con fan co-workers can come back to the other side lol. They gotta meet me half way lol. I can handle "strange" I just can't handle "overboard." Like those people who seem to be extremely happy all the time. with there A.M. sunshine. I know that some say those are the most unhappiest people in the world but sometimes. I think they are just full on happy.
I've spent many a day at the conventions, having a good old time. The way I usually say it is that I have no problem with my friends talking to their dice, dragon statues, or pretend swords. When those things start talking back... that's concerning. :)

Anyway, not trying to derail a thread.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did the drill for the first time today for a class of 10 people. It went better than I expected. I only did drill one and two, and just discussed drill three. Which was perfect.

I was pleasantly surprised how many times I was able to go back and use that simple foundational drill to explain more and more important concepts and to do next level skills.

I will definitely be running this drill again, many times. I still have two more full days of training with many much more complex and stressful problems for them to solve. I think the simple drill in my original post will definitely help them successfully complete the more complex drills coming up.

Latest Discussions