One & two steps

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you on this forum do one step & two step and to what extenct do you do them.
1) as a after thought
2) it is in your cirriculum
3) itis a way to teach your Self defense
4) just to add meat to your classes

At my school it is part of the cirriculum and it is part of our testing process. Waiting to hear from the rest of you!

Terry

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Master Terry. i use three steps, two steps and one steps in my curriculm. we start with 5 three steps at white belt, three - three steps at yellow stripe along with three 2-steps. yellow belt the same and so one up to green belt. at green belt, they review all three steps and two steps, (12- three steps and 10 - two steps) then at green belt, they learn the first 6 one steps. up to red belt, they do 24 one steps, then for black stripe and black belt they have to create 24 of their own one steps, demonstrating a realistic understanding of the purpose of one steps. i wont allow unrealistic techniqes, like a backflip 720 degree kick :) or anything like that. at black stripe and black belt we also do one step free sparring, which are a pre arranged set of kicks, blocks and punches coming from both the attacker and defender. i have found this to be a good progression for my students to understand different forms of attacks standing up.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Dusty sounds like you have a great program you are runing your class has to be lucky to have such a instructor who really cares about there training.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One-steps is a big part of the cirriculum of my program. So much so that 10 specific techniques are required for the 9th Gup test! By 6th gup, they are required to come up with some on their own. I think needing to come up with some on your own after you learn some prescribed techniques is a good way to teach students to "think like a martial artist" rather than just doing it all by rote.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did one-two-three steps until after I had been in TKD a year. Then the master quit doing them. Oh we would do different combinations in class but not enough to get them ingrained especially for the newer people. I think they are invaluable as a basis as long as they stay realistic. Practicing them on a regular basis at least for a while gives new students a foundation. Then in sparring they can start to integrate those and change them too.

I think they should also be differentiated from sparring one-two-three steps or self defense steps. I've been inventing alot of 2-5 moves either for sparring or self defense for the kickboxing people. But we can't do elbows, knees, finger strikes, backfists in sparring but anything goes when we do it to a bag. ;) TW

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my TSD dojang, one steps are drills that allow students to practice the applications in the hyung. They are required for every test and they are student driven...in that the student uses their own interpretations of the forms in order to fulfill the requirement.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do:

Basic 3 step without a partner
3 step with a partner
2-way 3 step
2 step
1 step
Model sparring
Prearranged sparring
Semi-Free sparring
Foot sparring
Free sparring

This is a continuum that begins at white belt (although all ranks free spar) and continues through IV Dan, as testing requirements. Other than basic 3 step (without and then with a partner), which are a prescribed set of movements, students are expected to create their own combinations, and training in all aspects of sparring is included in class.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do them all the time. As a blue belt I get a little more free reign and get to do what comes natural and of course I still have to learn a new technique that he teaches.

I prefer doing them without signaling to the other person and going full speed. To me it helps work on doing what comes natural and applying things right. Of course that should be done according to belt level of course.

We also do steps sometimes and have to do them in full and correct stances with proper shoing of blocks and kicks and all and not just regular street application so that we see why foot positioning and movement of legs, waiste and hands are so important.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although currently dojang-less, at my old school, we did one-steps as part of our monthly program. I say "monthly" as we tended to focus on one aspect of TKD during each week of the month. One week we'd focus on forms, the next week was one-steps, the next sparring, etc. Other aspects were always part of each class, but the focus was on that one particular aspect.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A couple of more questions...

1. Which one/two/three steps does one feel are really effective for either sparring or self defense?

2. Would you be willing to post video of these one steps?

upnorthkyosa

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One-steps with a partner is the main opportunity in our class for MMA members to share their cross-training. That is where I enjoy to share my jujutsu techniques, and my son his ninjutsu techniques with the rest of our TKD class. Others do likewise. It keeps us well rounded.

Gan Uesli Starling
http://wmtkd.us

Latest Discussions