"House of Discipline"

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I began Taekwondo in 1982, my Korean instructor had a sign in the front of room (over the flags) that read "House of Discipline." I've seen it in a few other schools, but not for a long time. Does anyone else have this (or a similiar sign) in the front of the room to remind students that its more than a room where we learn a sport?

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i trained under jong park, soo in the late 70's and he had it up in his dojangs. he was definately a man who liked to use the discipline.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember that saying , in my school the sign reads "The Best of the Best" that way they know how we are going to train everyday.
Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that's a great saying. The movie really solidified it TKD circles. Is it on a plaque, or is it just something you say?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I think that's a great saying. The movie really solidified it TKD circles. Is it on a plaque, or is it just something you say?

No i have it posted all over the place, it is also on our T-*****.
Terry

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
No i have it posted all over the place, it is also on our T-*****.
Terry

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Terry... I know what you meant to type... and I know what you actually typed... cuz I make that same typo a lot.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our school has the following phrase: "A Black Belt is a White Belt Who Never Quit"

I think it is cool to have a motto for your gym. It just adds to the comraderie and in Terry's case (Best of the Best) can be very inspiring.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school motto is 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our motto is "Pil Sung" - second to none. But now in another thread about Korean, this can have a meaning other than second to none but rather one of perseverance, to endure or certain victory. So :idunno: Second to none sounds prideful, too. But I didn't pick it. TW

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I dont do TKD, but I think our schools motto is

"Not in the face, not in the face!!!"

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
... my Korean instructor had a sign in the front of room (over the flags) that read "House of Discipline." ... Does anyone else have this (or a similiar sign) in the front of the room to remind students that its more than a room where we learn a sport?

Ice, I have seen this "House of Discipline" sign in a few Korean run Dojang in the U.S., over the past few decades. One in particular, that I liked, was hung over a large opening that led from a general entrance room, to a separate training room. It said, "Beyond this point is the House of Discipline." To me, this meant that the atmosphere in the room you are currently in is somewhat lax, but once you cross the threshold into this room, you had better change your focus.

I have always thought that this kind of sign would be ideal on the front of the Dojang building, just above the entrance, and another "reminder" sign inside. I liked this sign because I felt that, as a long-time instructor, I understood it differently than a first time visitor to the Dojang. The only problem, in my opinion, is that many Westerners misinterpret the meaning of the word "Discipline" as it is applied in this case. Most associate the term with "punishment," "reprimand," or "harsh training" like the military.

While these connotations are part of the context here, I believe that the phrase "House of Discipline" has a deeper meaning which pertains more to mental focus, personal development, and self control of one's own thoughts, words, and actions. It implies a seriousness of one's demeaner, and a method of training that teaches moral conduct, and forges integrity of one's character. Taekwondo training can be fun, and enjoyable, with some levity at the appropriate times, as guided through the tone set by the instructor. In other words, "I'ts not a joke." It should not be taken lightly, as a "game," or a "sport."

I did not notice any signs like this at any of the Dojangs that I visited in Korea. Perhaps the Korean students already understand the seriousness of training in a Dojang from their cultural upbringing. I think that, in thier native language, they understand this is the true, full meaning of the word "Dojang."

I do like the phrase, "House of Discipline," though, and I will probably put up a sign like this at my new Dojang. I also like, "Hall of Enlightenment." :)

CM D. J. Eisenhart

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Ice, I have seen this "House of Discipline" sign in a few Korean run Dojang in the U.S., over the past few decades. One in particular, that I liked, was hung over a large opening that led from a general entrance room, to a separate training room. It said, "Beyond this point is the House of Discipline." To me, this meant that the atmosphere in the room you are currently in is somewhat lax, but once you cross the threshold into this room, you had better change your focus.

I have always thought that this kind of sign would be ideal on the front of the Dojang building, just above the entrance, and another "reminder" sign inside. I liked this sign because I felt that, as a long-time instructor, I understood it differently than a first time visitor to the Dojang. The only problem, in my opinion, is that many Westerners misinterpret the meaning of the word "Discipline" as it is applied in this case. Most associate the term with "punishment," "reprimand," or "harsh training" like the military.

While these connotations are part of the context here, I believe that the phrase "House of Discipline" has a deeper meaning which pertains more to mental focus, personal development, and self control of one's own thoughts, words, and actions. It implies a seriousness of one's demeaner, and a method of training that teaches moral conduct, and forges integrity of one's character. Taekwondo training can be fun, and enjoyable, with some levity at the appropriate times, as guided through the tone set by the instructor. In other words, "I'ts not a joke." It should not be taken lightly, as a "game," or a "sport."

I did not notice any signs like this at any of the Dojangs that I visited in Korea. Perhaps the Korean students already understand the seriousness of training in a Dojang from their cultural upbringing. I think that, in thier native language, they understand this is the true, full meaning of the word "Dojang."

I do like the phrase, "House of Discipline," though, and I will probably put up a sign like this at my new Dojang. I also like, "Hall of Enlightenment." :)

CM D. J. Eisenhart

This is how I saw it (even at 14 years old). A place to learn focus rather than merely correction. Sometimes I think I'm more comfortable on the mat than I am most places in the world. Even when I'm the lowest rank in the room.

Latest Discussions