One Steps & Realism

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you believe one steps should be usable self-defense in of themselves? Or it is merely to teach technique and physical mechanics?

As a further question, do you believe the one steps you use right now align themselves 100% to the goals you have for them?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are your one and three steps set out for them to learn or can your students do whatever SD movements they want?

Your answer depends on mine :)

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The one steps we teach would work in a SD situation. The white/yellow/1st green work off of punches, but I do teach SD of grabs to those students as well. Over about 40% of my students are females under 16. Boys get in fist fights, but a predator would try and grab one of my girls instead of punch. They need to know how to get someone bigger off of them, and they do.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
they can most certainly be composed so that they are a complete SD manouver.

Naturally, the lower belt ones are a but more static...couple of girls I trained with had their own made up including a few throws they had learned from their previous instructor who was also ranked in hapkido. Fun to watch them.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well we just changed our 1 steps. The old ones and the new ones seem as if they would work in an SD situation. Remember SD is not fighting. SD in most cases are one or two moves to surprise you attacker, and stun them long enough for you to get away or make them run away.

With that said I have never use any of our one steps in an SD situation but on of our girl students have. She use it at school to put a bully down. The particular one step used was one that I would never attempt to use as it called for falling to the ground and kicking out the knee. I am to old to just fall (it hurts), but for some reason many of the kids love that particular one step. To make a long story shorter, she did the one step on him and he laid crying on the ground holding his knee. She ran to the school office and told on herself right afterwards and the boy got into trouble. So he got taken out by a girl and got into trouble as well.

Our one steps are also not taught as SD but I think they could work in an SD situation.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think they are useable but require a higher level of training than many students commit to make them automatic and thus locked and loaded.

When I started TKD in the late 70s, we had ten one steps at each of white, yellow and green belts. I took what felt best from them and practiced daily at home on a heavy bag. When I had someone actually take a right hand swing at my head, I don't remember any thought but the execution was exactly what I had practiced daily. He ended up with a ridge hand just below his ear and unconscious. I was in a leg cast at the time and had practiced with how the cast changed my defensive options.

I'm saying they're as real as you make them, but the key is the committed practice to ingrain them.

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't done Taekwondo one step sparring in decades. However, in keeping with the original purpose of five, three and one step sparring, we have replaced those with hogu drills. The instructors I know who still keep one step sparring in their curriculum do so for belt testing and curriculum filler purposes.

However in Hapkido, one step sparring of sorts is the main way the techniques are transmitted and practiced. So there is that.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Specifically for the grab SD ones, definitely.

For the ones that are almost like sparring drills, i.e kicking and countering, we do those at as high a speed as we're comfortable with, and full contact. Half the time, no sparring gear either. So perhaps more applicable than some drills.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you believe one steps should be usable self-defense in of themselves? Or it is merely to teach technique and physical mechanics?

As a further question, do you believe the one steps you use right now align themselves 100% to the goals you have for them?

I see the one steps as a learning tool, one stepes teach the student to develop timing to defend him/her self and counter or finish the bad guy. Can be one steps be used to defend ourselves? well it depends. In my short MA life I've seen a lot of techs including one steps that are arcaic and not practical from the real self defense we need these days and I want to give you an example.

Some time back in my kenpo class I saw how a brown belt perfomed some disarming (handgun) techs very flashy but some how this guy always got rid of the hangun!!!! I mean he threw it away!!!! OMG I looked this and just ask him.. Hey, can I ask you why you threw away the gun and don't use it to keep the bad guy at bay? This brow belt saw at me in a particular way and answer me:... well.... that's because that's the way we practice here the tech.... Oh boy!!! I just shaked my head and ask him to show my tech.

I performed a tech I learned from some kind of krav maga and afther the disarming I took the handung and performed a tap and rack drill (I hope you know what this is, I performed this drills tons of times when I was a practical pistol shooter) at the same I time I yelled very clear and loud to the other guy GET TO THE FLOOR M....FU.....R!!! while I was aiming him. The class just get scary about my yelling. Then I returned the gun to the brown belt and told him: THIS IS THE WAY TO DISARM A BAD GUY. Why not use his weapon to subdue the m..... f.....r??? The one who has the weapon is the one who has the power.

Well this brown belt didn't get it, he returned to his old fashion way to disarme the guy, I just hope he will never have to disarm a tough guy on the streets.

Sorry for the story, let's get inside your questions back dancingalone.

My own one steps (not necesarily the ones my sambunim teaches) and self defense techs are not 100% realibles, I mean they are 90-95% realibles inside de dojang that is a controled enviroment but in the streets, high in adrenaline and fear the human body can respond in very weird form, nothing is 100% for sure, however even with this one steps and self defense techs can be very handy and useful if need it and can make the diference beetwen death or life.

Manny

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm saying they're as real as you make them, but the key is the committed practice to ingrain them.

My opinion is that most sets used out there are indeed just filler material as puunui alludes to. I myself think they are an invaluable teaching tool, but they must be designed and then drilled comprehensively.

These are a few of my thoughts about one steps:

They should build on one another. I would prefer to cluster together 3 belt levels such as white, yellow, orange and design one steps for them such as they repeat the same movements to instill them in the student. Thus, if we believe that a sequence of avoid blow, wrap/control arm, counter has merit, then the one steps should all run on the same theme. I find that there is too much variety typically in the organization of one steps, so the student is exposed to too much all at once.

One steps should be designed and taught in such a way that their application is as universal as possible. Does the same one step work off a straight punch, a hook punch, a wrist grab, or even a push? If it doesn't, perhaps the design should be reconsidered.

One steps should reflect a base level of flexibility and physical attainment if they are meant to teach self-defense. Save the jump spinning wheel kicks for other parts of your class time/curriculum. Stick to the core idea that SD counters need to be quick, simple, and realizable for even the smallest and weakest among us.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the key to teach/learn SD techs, nothing more, nothing less.

Manny

I've seen some rather bizarre one steps. Like blocking a straight punch with an inside to outside block, reverse punch to the face, and then a jump spinning wheel kick to finish. Never mind the fact that if the reverse punch worked even partially, the opportunity for the wheel kick wouldn't even be available.

These kind of one steps make me think they aren't designed to teach usable SD combinations, but instead to train the body and techniques instead.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen some rather bizarre one steps. Like blocking a straight punch with an inside to outside block, reverse punch to the face, and then a jump spinning wheel kick to finish. Never mind the fact that if the reverse punch worked even partially, the opportunity for the wheel kick wouldn't even be available.

These kind of one steps make me think they aren't designed to teach usable SD combinations, but instead to train the body and techniques instead.

Yeah, I have seen so bizarre self defense techs too. For me a self defense tech must be easy to perform, quick and strong. I really don't like complicated self defense techs they are worthless, simple and direct sd techs are the better ones.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

One steps should be basic and practical. I have seen moves where they expect the attacker to still be infront of them after a series of moves. One steps should be one block one hit, maybe two if done in rapid sucsession, then get the hell out of there is you can.

You are correct, I have seen some movie type stuff as well and that should not be the case.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Look at the SD section of Choi's encyclopedia sometime. Block then jumping away flying knifehand attack?

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think we like to pretend that one steps are great self defense tools. I feel that they are great for kids to learn body mechanics but worthless for real life self defense. The biggest thing in self defense is stress/fear management so that you can even attempt your techniques. Oddly enough this is also th part of self defense that is neglected the most. Instead we learn to cross our arms and then block a punch that wasn't really intended to hit us, and follow up with a specific technique requiring small joint control and manipulation while the opponent cooperates. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Real life defense situations require indignation over fear and reaction with gross motor movments.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to hate on me. :soapbox:

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think we like to pretend that one steps are great self defense tools. I feel that they are great for kids to learn body mechanics but worthless for real life self defense. The biggest thing in self defense is stress/fear management so that you can even attempt your techniques. Oddly enough this is also th part of self defense that is neglected the most. Instead we learn to cross our arms and then block a punch that wasn't really intended to hit us, and follow up with a specific technique requiring small joint control and manipulation while the opponent cooperates. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Real life defense situations require indignation over fear and reaction with gross motor movments.

Your prior experience in one step training is a prime example of not drilling them comprehensively. At some point after the one step has been learned and ingrained into muscle memory, the formality of using the announced step through punch should be ended, and the partner should attack in a free form fashion with high intensity. The defender should indeed be struck if he does not avoid correctly.

This is only common sense. If we want this to work for real, then we must train like it. Of course, the vast majority of dojo and dojang out there cater to children and to hobbyist students, so there you go.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your prior experience in one step training is a prime example of not drilling them comprehensively. At some point after the one step has been learned and ingrained into muscle memory, the formality of using the announced step through punch should be ended, and the partner should attack in a free form fashion with high intensity. The defender should indeed be struck if he does not avoid correctly.

This is only common sense. If we want this to work for real, then we must train like it. Of course, the vast majority of dojo and dojang out there cater to children and to hobbyist students, so there you go.
You are spot on. During one steps the attacker should be throwing kicks and punches that if not defended WILL smash the defender. The attacker should not announce when he will throw the punch/kick. Commiting things to muscle memory is a must. As a youngster I played a couple of sports at a high level and nerves would eat me up before a big game and at times my arms and legs felt like jelly but when it was time for me to do something it just happened because it was just instinctual, I didnt even have to think, it just happened. One steps have to be done so many times over that if it ever has to be used muscle memory will just take over from the nerves, addrenalin etc.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something I want to ad. There are many-many one steps and self defense techs out there to practice however, some of these techs are: a)poor, b)to clumsy and complicated, c)out of contest.... etc,etc,.

When I started in kenpo sensei told me the programs involves some 120-130 self defense techs, I would rather learn 30 of these self defense techs and do muscle memory than forget or be desoriented trying to recall 75 or 100 techs.

In my arsenal I have maybe 20-30 self defense techs/one steps that I recall and maybe 10 or 15 that I do very impecable, I am against to teach ALOT OF self defense techs, I'd rather teach some clever,sound and easy self defense techs that can suit a lot of people in a simple way.

Manny

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I started in kenpo sensei told me the programs involves some 120-130 self defense techs, I would rather learn 30 of these self defense techs and do muscle memory than forget or be desoriented trying to recall 75 or 100 techs.

In my arsenal I have maybe 20-30 self defense techs/one steps that I recall and maybe 10 or 15 that I do very impecable, I am against to teach ALOT OF self defense techs, I'd rather teach some clever,sound and easy self defense techs that can suit a lot of people in a simple way.

This touches on the kata/hyung idea that we've discussed many times on MT. Most schools simply practice far too many patterns to get any real benefit from them. It might be better to 'go retro' and learn only 1 or 2 and thus be able to deconstruct the pattern from all sides both solo and with partners.

Latest Discussions