ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watch until the end, Enjoy :asian:
[yt]U8ftapqIyOY[/yt]

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I was there. I am at the right edge of the screen sitting with one leg outstretched. It was an honor to test for 7th there.

It was motivating to see him get up and teach after being brought to the room in a wheelchair with a tube taped to his arm running up thru his nose and into his body.

FWIW it was the only time I ever saw him sit down during a time when he was teaching.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What form is being demonstrated? Also what part is the sine wave? The cadence and movement of the form is different from what I have been taught in Shotokan or Taekwondo. Also, there is a jumping knife hand strike in there that I associate with the ITF for some reason.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The rise between each movement and fall into the next is the sine wave. The move you associate with being ITF... well, Gen. Choi was head of the ITF, that was an ITF seminar, though he was performing a much more advanced form that any I've performed/seen.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
What form is being demonstrated? Also what part is the sine wave? The cadence and movement of the form is different from what I have been taught in Shotokan or Taekwondo. Also, there is a jumping knife hand strike in there that I associate with the ITF for some reason.

The part is Yong Gae.

Cadence varies by pattern and stipulations. Some move speeds are named as Normal, Fast, Slow, Continuous, Connecting, and one not specified but often referred to as "Natural' motion.
When the head changes level while executing hand techniques (down/up/down or up/down) while executing hand techniques, that is the motion metaphoricaly described as sine wave as compared to some MA styles where the head remains level.
It isn an ITF pattern.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The swine waveis like a merry go round with the ups and down motions of the horse.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was weird seeing the Sine Wave movement for the first time. While I'm sure the physics of whether it adds power or not can be debated, my only thought is it looks very weird as I'm used to Kukki-Taekwondo. It almost reminds me of Taek Kyon or the Taekwondo Dance as done in various demonstrations over the years.

Also, is the loud breathing normal? I noticed the demonstrator was doing it (and I thought it was odd) and then Gen. Choi did it, so I guess it's normal in ITF.

Do those of you doing what you consider to be "genuine ITF Taekwon-do" do both the sine wave movement and the loud exhalations? Just wondering...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was weird seeing the Sine Wave movement for the first time. While I'm sure the physics of whether it adds power or not can be debated, my only thought is it looks very weird as I'm used to Kukki-Taekwondo. It almost reminds me of Taek Kyon or the Taekwondo Dance as done in various demonstrations over the years.

Also, is the loud breathing normal? I noticed the demonstrator was doing it (and I thought it was odd) and then Gen. Choi did it, so I guess it's normal in ITF.

Do those of you doing what you consider to be "genuine ITF Taekwon-do" do both the sine wave movement and the loud exhalations? Just wondering...

I do both the audible breathing and sine wave. The purpose of audible breathing is that the observer can see that the breath is coordinated with the movement.

It is lke seeing the Sanchin Kata with the shirt off. You really cannot observe whether the proper tension is present if the torso is covered.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even though we don't do so called ITF style we use to breath like that up until you got your 6th Gup. After the 6th Gup you should be able to breath correctly without the sound.

We have long since drop the breathing sound altogeather. We never did the sine wave movement.

Latest Discussions