One step closer to online classes

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I'm one step closer to online classes. The only thing I need to figure out now is how long should I spend for the basic techniques. I don't want to go to fast and I don't want to go too slow. Some things that take just take time to learn even though it's basic.

First techniques to be taught.
How to make a fist, what parts of the fist to use, what makes a fist strong / week. Fist structure concepts.
How to stand. Stance training (I know some people don't like it but strong and mobile legs are important)
Conditioning exercises for building up strong punching structure and stance structure.
Basic long fist punch for my system + Jab, hook, uppercut, lead punch and rear punch.

This alone is a lot once you start breaking it down. Beginners won't have much of a choice, Those who already train a fighting system will learn some of this faster simply because they already know it. I've been thinking of requiring that students take a test via video where they have to show me the content they are learning from various angles before next lesson videos are released.

I'm also thinking 1 - 2 hour live training sessions. First hour conditioning class, 2nd hour is Technique class.

I'm trying to get it so that the exercises can be done via a phone or inside watching TV. I'm thinking of Indoor format and outdoor format. For the outdoor format I'm thinking of someone with a phone and headset. Everything will be done time based and not repetition based. If you want more reps then you'll have to move faster.

Forget that you know me and give me your honest thoughts about this. Does any of this sound interesting?

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on were you gonna go online and how many minutes you want i think in zoom you can only do 30 min or so not unless you used facebook or messenger i think skype is better for online

1 hour conditioning and 1 hour of class is to much we only do 45 or 30 min half conditioning and technique

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends on were you gonna go online and how many minutes you want i think in zoom you can only do 30 min or so not unless you used facebook or messenger i think skype is better for online

1 hour conditioning and 1 hour of class is to much we only do 45 or 30 min half conditioning and technique
Might be to much for you but for a lot of people an hour of conditioning and an hour technique is nothing...you have this habit of thinking that your way is the only way and every other way is wrong.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to think about what people want and these days they want a good workout and to punch and kick stuff and learn some stuff.teach how to make a fist yes...but going in depth about fist structure concepts...it’s just going to bore them.

same with stance work yes teach it but going in depth and spending ages on it is just going to make them lose interest.

working the combos is fine.

I’m not saying everyone will feel this way because there may be some who love that stuff but if you want more people then you need to appeal to the bigger client base.

The fact is these days there’s a reason kickboxing gyms or boxing or MMA gyms are busier than your traditional karate place. Because it’s simple. You’ve got your base punches and kicks and then you just work them in shadow boxing, pad work, bag work and conditioning. People don’t want to be listening to an in depth explanation on a stance they want to be sweating and hitting stuff and working out and getting fit and strong.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have to think about what people want and these days they want a good workout and to punch and kick stuff and learn some stuff.teach how to make a fist yes...but going in depth about fist structure concepts...it’s just going to bore them.

same with stance work yes teach it but going in depth and spending ages on it is just going to make them lose interest.

working the combos is fine.

I’m not saying everyone will feel this way because there may be some who love that stuff but if you want more people then you need to appeal to the bigger client base.

The fact is these days there’s a reason kickboxing gyms or boxing or MMA gyms are busier than your traditional karate place. Because it’s simple. You’ve got your base punches and kicks and then you just work them in shadow boxing, pad work, bag work and conditioning. People don’t want to be listening to an in depth explanation on a stance they want to be sweating and hitting stuff and working out and getting fit and strong.
Back to that story... I guess I can't accept it. Maybe I'll do both Conditioning class, + technique class. Take one or do both I used to do Kung Fu + Kung Fu fit because the Kung Fu Fit provided the extra workout that I didn't get much of in the Kung Fu class. Maybe if I do it this way online then people can choose one or both. I'll have to kep in mind not to think either or, as I'm trying to lay out the plans for this.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back to that story... I guess I can't accept it. Maybe I'll do both Conditioning class, + technique class. Take one or do both I used to do Kung Fu + Kung Fu fit because the Kung Fu Fit provided the extra workout that I didn't get much of in the Kung Fu class. Maybe if I do it this way online then people can choose one or both. I'll have to kep in mind not to think either or, as I'm trying to lay out the plans for this.
I find that my kung fun training makes for an excellent fitness session as well. Drill the material, over and over. Get creative with combinations. Especially in this Covid era when we cannot get together for interactive training, then drilling those fundamentals over and over is going to be the main thing.

I’ve been teaching my wife, son, and sister-in-law, and it wasn’t long before they had enough material that they understood well enough that I could give them a rigorous workout with it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve been teaching my wife, son, and sister-in-law, and it wasn’t long before they had enough material that they understood well enough that I could give them a rigorous workout with it.
Nice. they couldn't run away lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they like it better than they thought they would.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice. they couldn't run away lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they like it better than they thought they would.
My son is six years old so his engagement is on and off, he isn’t ready to commit to the training. So I just let him do as much as he wants.

My sister-in-law has no background in martial arts and is not someone I would describe as athletically inclined. She struggles more with it, but I just encourage her and remind her that this is a process and it takes time and repetition. And she has been enjoying it.

My wife has a background in martial arts, dating back to her young adulthood. So she is picking it up more quickly. She had said a few years ago that she felt martial arts was perhaps something she was done with and no longer had the interest. But we both ended up unemployed with the Covid reality and she was looking for ways to keep up some fitness and I said well, I’m doing some strength training three times a week and kung fu as much as I can, so why not give it a try? She jumped in and her sister jumped in, and we just keep at it. Just today she said she is finding it to be engaging and interesting in ways that she hadn’t felt with other things in the past. It’s been a good experience so far.

Latest Discussions