One of the best TKD beginner resources i've found

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
I started ITF TKD around 2 years ago now (probably just under) and as a beginner (i still count myself as one due to how much more there is still for me to learn)i am constantly looking foe extra sources of info, be it on techniques, stretches sparring tips. It was during this search that i found GingerNinjaTrickster on youtube- https://www.youtube.com/user/GingerNinjaTrickster/videos , despite the name he is still one of the best people i have found to help out new beginners. Yes he also does quite a lot of flashy kicks (some of you might not be interested in this :p ) but he also has a tonne of tutorials with detailed break-downs of each technique. One of the best things i have found about him is that he replies to EVERY comment and is happy to make any tutorial in demand. He's a great guy and knows his stuff as well as how to mess around, i would definitely recommend him to anyone, beginner and up!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Every now and then I practice with a guy who wanted to do for his BB test a jumping spinning hook kick as well as that fellow. I told him he better get busy on the non-jumping version of the kick...the guy in the video only MAKES it look easy!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been using his videos as well! I do KKW TKD but the kicks are virtually the same (one or two minor differences...but that means I can surprise my fellow students in sparring *evil laugh*). We don't really have time in class to go over the details of how to do the kicks so it's a nice supplement.

That said, I would urge you to use this as a supplement to your class, not a substitute for your class. He can give you some tips, but he can't watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using his videos as well! I do KKW TKD but the kicks are virtually the same (one or two minor differences...but that means I can surprise my fellow students in sparring *evil laugh*). We don't really have time in class to go over the details of how to do the kicks so it's a nice supplement.

Huh? That's what class is for... How are you supposed to know how to do a technique if you're not taught????

That said, I would urge you to use this as a supplement to your class, not a substitute for your class. He can give you some tips, but he can't watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong.

Agreed 100%. Books and videos can be excellent suppliments to classwork. One caveat is that you need to make sure the book or video is teaching the technique the way it's done in your system. For example, an ITF roundhouse is done with the ball of the foot. Many KKW programs teach this kick with the instep. Learning to do a KKW roundhouse from a video and then doing it during an ITF tul isn't going to get you praise...

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't really have time in class to go over the details of how to do the kicks so it's a nice supplement.

That was a disappointment I had with KKW classes: lack of specific instruction, and lack of specific feedback. I think schools can be too positive with every kick being encouraged with "good kick", rather than being corrected where appropriate.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way until an adult male, who had just started as a white belt, told me he was frustrated that nothing was taught as much as shown and practiced. In the end, since he wasn't getting the instruction he wanted, he quit at the end of his 30 day trial period. As for me, I began to rely on videos (especially Kwonkicker) to get specific instruction, then know what to watch for when the instructors were demonstrating.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was a disappointment I had with KKW classes: lack of specific instruction, and lack of specific feedback. I think schools can be too positive with every kick being encouraged with "good kick", rather than being corrected where appropriate.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way until an adult male, who had just started as a white belt, told me he was frustrated that nothing was taught as much as shown and practiced. In the end, since he wasn't getting the instruction he wanted, he quit at the end of his 30 day trial period. As for me, I began to rely on videos (especially Kwonkicker) to get specific instruction, then know what to watch for when the instructors were demonstrating.

As far as I'm concerned specific instruction is the role of the instructor, the senior black belts AND it's on the student to ask when the demonstration is not clear to them.

As an instructor, it can be difficult to find a balance between praise and criticism, and I partly agree about the positivity thing you mentioned. It's not KKW specific though.

I try to use a sandwich technique, this was good, that wasn't, but that was fine. Works well.

Gnarlie

OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score

Once again i 100% agree, the only way to learn is through a class as there is so much to go wrong both health and safety wise and also technique wise.As for the books and videos,GNT and kwon kicker are the best online resources i've found, i also have a book that i recommend for anyone doing ITF TKD who's having trouble remembering patterns (i say itf due to the fact there are sometimes variations in patterns) "taekwon-do patterns" by master Jim Hogan.
In regards to your class not having enough time to go through the techniques in detail, i have 2 thoughts on the matter. Firstly i totally agree with dirty dog as i think your master NEEDS to teach you everything in great detail or you may as well be teaching yourself from a video. My other thought stemmed from something my master said to me a while ago due to the fact i am still quite a low rank. "you are at the stage where it is better for you to just try your best and get the basis of the technique down using imitation only. Later on we will go through these techniques in more detail when you are more advanced, however for now it is better to just try and imitate the higher ranks as best as possible." Please bare in mind that he said this to me whilst the class was going through quite advanced techniques and most of the green belts and below were being left behind.I however do not know your rank or your masters teaching style and so this could completely change the situation.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Huh? That's what class is for... How are you supposed to know how to do a technique if you're not taught????

If you spend 5 minutes explaining each basic kick and 10 minutes on the intermediate kicks every class, all you'll be doing is lecturing on some of the kicks each class. GNT has the luxury of time to go into 10 minutes worth of detail on when you would use each kick. Over time in class you get a better and better picture of how to do the kicks (and a lot of the beginners are still working on getting the basic motions down) and the higher your belt in my school the better you are. But considering the length of the class, the amount of content in the curriculum (which is a lot more than what we had to learn when I did this as a kid), and the fact that not everyone shows up to every class, and it's just not feasible to go into a 10 minute explanation of each and every kick.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe not but there is time to give individual and group broadcast feedback when techniques are performed poorly.

Gnarlie

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Every now and then I practice with a guy who wanted to do for his BB test a jumping spinning hook kick as well as that fellow. I told him he better get busy on the non-jumping version of the kick...the guy in the video only MAKES it look easy!

I just checked that out, and dude gets some serious lift on that kick. I definitely envy people who jump that high; I've never been able to.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed 100%. Books and videos can be excellent suppliments to classwork. One caveat is that you need to make sure the book or video is teaching the technique the way it's done in your system. For example, an ITF roundhouse is done with the ball of the foot. Many KKW programs teach this kick with the instep. Learning to do a KKW roundhouse from a video and then doing it during an ITF tul isn't going to get you praise...

Any good KKW master teaches both instep and ball of foot related to the application especially striking the lower PP of the legs for SD Even front kick can be modified to using the heal if needed also instep is not always just the small bones of the foot but should include a portion of the leg up from the ankle if you are trying to do real damage to protected areas. Yes Yes I know all about the speed and flash of the instep kicks in sport and I know many in later years with much pain due to breaking those small bones. To many people do not think about their health decades later or instructors consider their need for trophies or feed their ego's for many reason's rather than consider the long term effects on their students bodies. Age appropriate training changes every 10 years.

Getting back to instruction on kicks some people due to weight or physiology have problems with proper technique if it is question of training we will stop and modify a special program for that person that may include stretching and using special equipment chairs or other objects to force lifting the knee to proper height to achieve a penetrating kick rather that lifting kicks which are useless for anything but dancing. It is what we call a lazy kick from not doing either proper pivot rotation or raising the knee high enough to originate good technique both on the bag or on floor work. Breaking boards never lie they point out lazy training. We find that offering a pink belt or sash used in therapy stretching tucked into their belt if they do not train harder and proper technique breaks that habit rather quickly if it is just a question of motivation. The special modified training to specific students such as the chair may include doing 50 to 100 slow controlled kicks taking 5-15 minuets a day before class and can take few weeks to as much as a year but I have never regretted it seeing how now they have such strong and good basic technique and can devastate their opponent in sparring or truly defend themselves.

Last for older adults good technique is necessary for SD but is not needed above the waste requiring kicks to the head if impossible is ridiculous and a round house knee to the ribs or front thrust knee to face after pulling ears or hair works just fine for our older students. As for one of my favorite GM's put the boots to him means head kicks are easy when they are on the ground.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score

If this gentleman was a white belt then I have to question what he thought he was going to get. As a beginner, in anything, there's only so much information you can put to use. When I am asked to work with new or beginner students, I take a less is more approach. I demonstrate the technique and give 1 maybe 2 pointers then let the students practice. If you stand there and give a speech, the student will forget 90% of what you tell them.

If I'm working with a student who has never done a technique before, my expectation is that they be able to a gross mechanic version of the technique by the end of class. Because most classes are around an hour, there isn't enough time to cover everything. A student has to be able to take the basic instruction, practice on their own, and come back with questions to further refine.

I think people want too much spoon fed to them. To get better at anything you need a balance of good instruction and quality practice. Standing and listening to theory may help you understand, but it won't guarantee you can perform any better.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If this gentleman was a white belt then I have to question what he thought he was going to get. As a beginner, in anything, there's only so much information you can put to use. When I am asked to work with new or beginner students, I take a less is more approach. I demonstrate the technique and give 1 maybe 2 pointers then let the students practice. If you stand there and give a speech, the student will forget 90% of what you tell them.

If I'm working with a student who has never done a technique before, my expectation is that they be able to a gross mechanic version of the technique by the end of class. Because most classes are around an hour, there isn't enough time to cover everything. A student has to be able to take the basic instruction, practice on their own, and come back with questions to further refine.

I think people want too much spoon fed to them. To get better at anything you need a balance of good instruction and quality practice. Standing and listening to theory may help you understand, but it won't guarantee you can perform any better.

I think this is exactly why we don't get the full 100% detail of how to do everything at white belt. We do get feedback on what we're doing right and wrong, but a lot of it is building confidence in the students and encouraging practice. Over time you get more and more corrections. If white belts could just learn 100% of the technique off the bat, there would be no need for every other keub rank.

Personally, because A) I've done TKD before (quit about 15 years ago), B) I'm good at jumping (decades of practice on a trampoline) and C) I had recently quit a time-sink that sucked up 50+ hours a week (online gaming), I had plenty of time to practice advanced kicks on my own, which is why I turned to GNT.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions