On/Off Switch for the Brain

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just came across this, and while looking for a section on anatomy and how it plays into martial arts realized there was no section in the forum. So I'll just post this here.

A part of the brain was recently discovered known as the Claustrum. I find it interesting because an electrical shock to it will shut down a human, rendering them unconscious, while another electric shock can bring a person back to consciousness. I noticed also it lines up darn near perfectly with temporal bone, and so makes sense when we hit people in that region of the head they lose consciousness easier. Among other factors as well.

What do you guys think?

Why it matters that human consciousness may be just a simple on-off switch in the brain - The Washington Post

Consciousness on-off switch discovered deep in brain - life - 02 July 2014 - New Scientist

Claustrum - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why contact to the head is ruled out in traditional karate practice...

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why contact to the head is ruled out in traditional karate practice...

He is talking about pressure point knockouts that person gets hit than goes unconsciousness!! And than you hit the person again to get the person to wake up.

This is fake martial arts.

It is they are brainwashed to believe it works

This explain it.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He is talking about pressure point knockouts that person gets hit than goes unconsciousness!! And than you hit the person again to get the person to wake up.

This explain it.

Actually hes talking about anatomy.....no different than the sweet spot in the jaw...

OP
Shajikfer

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just thought it interesting they've identified such a spot in the brain that can do what was described above. I never really said anything about pressure points, though such areas do deserve at least some attention when training.

Not sure where fake martial arts figures into anything I wrote about. *shrug*

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen Paul Bowmen do his no touch KO live, it was so funny I had to go off to the loo to laugh out loud. It really is a performance you have to see and of course NOT believe.

Nothing to do with the OP of course.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually hes talking about anatomy.....no different than the sweet spot in the jaw...

Not sure what you mean?

There are many pressure point in the body and strike to a pressure point can cause pain or knockout to the ground. But not in way the videos above or OP is demonstrating.

He is talking about a electrical shock to the Claustrum to cause shut down a human body and unconsciousness and shock to Claustrum to wake the person up.

I don't believe this at all it sounds fake science. I think the OP thinks a strike to a Claustrum will shut down a human body and unconsciousness and strike to the Claustrum again will wake the person up.

Similar pressure point strikes in the body they are trying to do in the videos to shut down a human body and unconsciousness and strike to wake the person up.

This sounds pseudoscience or fake martial arts.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean?

There are many pressure point in the body and strike to a pressure point can cause pain or knockout to the ground. But not in way the videos above or OP is demonstrating.

He is talking about a electrical shock to the Claustrum to cause shut down a human body and unconsciousness and shock to Claustrum to wake the person up.

I don't believe this at all it sounds fake science. I think the OP thinks a strike to a Claustrum will shut down a human body and unconsciousness and strike to the Claustrum again will wake the person up.

Similar pressure point strikes in the body they are trying to do in the videos to shut down a human body and unconsciousness and strike to wake the person up.

Do you not know what the sweet spot in the jaw is? its boxing 101 and regualrly causes knockouts.

Op's talking about striking a part of the head that has a higher percentage to cause a KO, just like how a rabbit punch is more likely to KO a guy than by hitting him in the nose. Its just anatomy,

This is a far cry from a pressure point strike to the thigh or a ki blast...

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, the claustrum is a little understudied, but we do know that virtually every area of the cortical brain interacts with the claustrum. Watson and Crick (Yes, that Watson and Crick) hypothesized that the claustrum was responsible for consciousness..

What is the function of the claustrum

It's important to note that the electrical stimulation was applied directly to the claustrum, was high frequency, and that the subject lost consciousness but her eyes were wide open as she stared off into space. It's also important to note that the regained consciousness as soon as the stimulation was stopped. This is different than 2 different shocks…..

Just for some clarity….

Mike

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This explain it.

Hitting someone on a knockout point certainly works. Boxers do it all the time even though they may not be specifically targeting those points. The strike to the back of the head in the first video certainly works well. It is certainly not fake martial art. I have no experience of the next two so make no comment. What I really take exception to is in the fourth video where you have a panel of martial artists who have no understanding of internal arts discussing and dismissing Ki or Chi and using George Dillman as evidence that it is all BS. I'm not going to discuss Ki in this thread, but I just reiterated. Ki/Chi is a valid part of a lot of people's practice.

Last edited:
OP
Shajikfer

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean?

I don't know how a strike to the head could affect the claustrum. But it does seem logical that if certain regions of the brain are responsible for consciousness, then certain strikes to certain areas will have different degrees of affecting it. Plus we're talking about kinetic force as opposed to electrical. But understanding how the brain functions does have an affect on how we treat the brain in martial arts for sure.

And honestly, what do you mean by fake martial arts? Seems you could apply that to any martial art you disagree with. Just been mulling that over.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hitting someone on a knockout point certainly works. Boxers do it all the time even though they may not be specifically targeting those points. The strike to the back of the head in the first video certainly works well. It is certainly not fake martial art. I have no experience of the next two so make no comment. What I really take exception to is in the fourth video where you have a panel of martial artists who have no understanding of internal arts discussing and dismissing Ki or Chi and using George Dillman as evidence that it is all BS. I'm not going to discuss Ki in this thread, but I just reiterated. Ki/Chi is a valid part of a lot of people's practice.

K-man Yes I seen many boxer or karate people kick or hit some one and the person gets knockout

Some one gets punched in face or head and down they go to the ground.

But not the way those videos are demonstrating.

This how it looks like.

Just not the way the those videos are demonstrating.

And they are not hitting the person again to wake them up.

Many variables include how much force is going into the strike (which itself includes variables like range, speed of strike, mass of the person striking, etc)

How the strike is defended, what the direction of force is.

As for people going down some take a shot better than others and some take pain better than others as well really. So it might take more in the way to knock someone out or really hurt them than it takes for others.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
K-man Yes I seen many boxer or karate people kick or hit some one and the person gets knockout

This how it looks like.

Many variables include how much force is going into the strike (which itself includes variables like range, speed of strike, mass of the person striking, etc)

As for people going down some take a shot better than others and some take pain better than others as well really. So it might take more in the way to knock someone out or really hurt them than it takes for others.

Nor did your videos have relevance to OPs point.

You brought up Ki knockouts out of the blue, when it has no relevance and nobody has defended ki knockouts.

The point was that a strike to certain areas of the brain have higher probability to KO someone. OP explained that

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like how he went from giving the cop attitude to calling him sir.
yes, funny how long-dormant manners can be suddenly recalled when someone has pile-drived your dumb-*** into the ground! : )

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This how it looks like.

I would have to disagree. Targeting vital points can give you much more bang for your buck, not that they are the be all and end all.

In this video the karate guy hits the carotid sinus (St9) with a back hand strike of very little power.

Here is another on of one of our Aussie Rules footballers who got himself disqualified for a long time for this dropping shot to the jaw (St 5). It was a fluke punch with no real power that just found the right spot and the right angle. He wasn't even looking.

Targeting and finding these points is something I would rely on in all situations but it is certainly not pseudo science.

The resuscitation points are from Chinese medicine. Nothing to do with hitting the same spot a second time.

OP
Shajikfer

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Targeting and finding these points is something I would rely on in all situations but it is certainly not pseudo science.

It's something I utilize when sparring quite a bit.

Latest Discussions