Olympic News

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It looks like China has decided to cancel them after the Russian Federation agreed to enter the riflery

and sent a team of 300,000 :p

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dangit, Tellner, I was just logging on to post about the whole Olympic protest topic and I saw this. What are you talkin about?

A grim joke, I think... and very funny, in a very grim sort of way...

No matter how the vicissitudes of fortune play out in the short term, the Muscovite and Han empires are on a collision course, and heaven help all of us when it happens.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A grim joke, I think... and very funny, in a very grim sort of way...

No matter how the vicissitudes of fortune play out in the short term, the Muscovite and Han empires are on a collision course, and heaven help all of us when it happens.

I just want to pause for a moment and thank you for putting wear on my dictionary, exile. I break it out almost every day now that you're on the forums. ;)

That said ... I'm on the fence about the Olympics. Not happy with China right now.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just want to pause for a moment and thank you for putting wear on my dictionary, exile. I break it out almost every day now that you're on the forums. ;)

:lol:

You know what I've always liked about 'vicissitudes'? It sort of sounds like what it means... all those fluttery, wavy "s" sounds...

That said ... I'm on the fence about the Olympics. Not happy with China right now.

I really hate the way China has been able to do all this horrible stuff in Tibet, and yet comes off moralizing so piously about the lousy attitude of the Japanese, whose new textbooks basically rationalize the horrors committed by its military in the occupation of China in WWII. No one argues that those were war crimes of the worst sort... yet the carefully planned cultural suffocation of the Tibetans (including the relocation of ethnic Chinese in large numbers into Tibet to 'swamp' the indigenous population and dilute any grass-roots resistance) goes largely unchallenged.

A lot of wealthy countries like the existence of the vast sub-minimum-wage reserve labor pool in China... they can build factories there and double or triple their profits (or more) just on the basis of what they save on labor costs. In the end, they're not going to do anything to endanger their access to that cheap labor. I've heard it said that every cathedral in mediæval Europe was built on a foundation of corpses, and that's how I see these Olympics in China...

It's too bad, really—I like to watch the Olympics, in many events, but I feel kind of queasy doing anything to support China at this point...

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dangit, Tellner, I was just logging on to post about the whole Olympic protest topic and I saw this. What are you talkin about?

Just the dark humor.

I originally heard that one about the 1980 Olympics when President Carter called for a boycott of the Moscow Games over the invasion of Afghanistan. Only that time it was the Chinese sending the guys in uniforms.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe China was even allowed to petition for hosting. That and winning the rights--even more of a joke! Then again the Nazis hosted one too. As a world, we need to get serious!

Just repped you on another thread, so I can't again this soon... but that bolded line says it all!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe China was even allowed to petition for hosting. That and winning the rights--even more of a joke! Then again the Nazis hosted one too. As a world, we need to get serious!

You are so right