Olympic Combat Sports

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horses for courses. Some people like very restricted fighting, other like the beauty of well-performed kata. I don’t like Strictly…type dancing but it’s skilful. As to kata promoting self-defence ability….well, MMA don’t have kata and I’d rate their self-defence abilities higher that, say Rita Usami!

As someone who does both MMA and TMA including Kata, I'd disagree with you there, I've found techniques in kata that work for MMA because they are after all karate techniques.
Kata doesn't 'promote' self defence ability, it's what it's for. Too many don't see the connection because they don't do Bunkai, but I'd suggest you also look up Iain, he's one of the best self defence instructors around, along with fellow members of the British Combat Association. His seminars are great, always something to learn, he is a great fan of MMA and will show you techniques that work for it. What kata contains is techniques, which everyone needs lol. What he and we do is the practicable application of kata Bunkai..... ..... Bunkai Jutsu

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't understand what Kata is then, it's not boring if you know what you're looking at and can work out the Bunkai. It's like many things in life, appears pointless until you actually look into it.

Have a look on Iain Abernethy's site, it's very informative and useful. Lots of articles on self defence. I've done a few seminars with him as well as having his books and videos. You could find something that would help you there.

iainabernethy.co.uk
No, I only understand when butt is being kicked or butt-B-Kicked. Or else, I would go watch ballet.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I only understand when butt is being kicked or butt-B-Kicked. Or else, I would go watch ballet.

That's an extremely ill mannered reply.
You were looking for ways to defend yourself, I've offered you a link to a man who is a leading proponent of self defence and you are insulting. Oh well your loss.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's an extremely ill mannered reply.
You were looking for ways to defend yourself, I've offered you a link to a man who is a leading proponent of self defence and you are insulting. Oh well your loss.
You think I care what you say?

Why don't you STOP responding to my post, you will just make this thread locked and deprive others from talking like the two other threads that you ruined.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think I care what you say?

Why don't you STOP responding to my post, you will just make this thread locked and deprive others from talking like the two other threads that you ruined.

Sigh, no good turn goes unpunished. I was genuinely trying to help but as I said your loss.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Watching the bronze march for women's judo 70kg. This young lady from ROC, Taimazova, is a warrior. Wow. Every one of her matches was a battle.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I read too, this will be exciting. Maybe one day, they will have MMA.

MMA has been put forward several times but the IOC says we have to have one overall organising and ruling body before we can be considered. Once that's organised we wait until the IOC recognises us (they've just recognised kickboxing) and then wait until a host country chooses MMA to be in their Olympics.

The danger of course is that to be an Olympic sport .at require considerable watering down so it won't be the MMA we do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA has been put forward several times but the IOC says we have to have one overall organising and ruling body before we can be considered. Once that's organised we wait until the IOC recognises us (they've just recognised kickboxing) and then wait until a host country chooses MMA to be in their Olympics.

The danger of course is that to be an Olympic sport .at require considerable watering down so it won't be the MMA we do.

They could do a c class pretty easily.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could do a c class pretty easily.
MMA has to meet several requirements before it will be recognised, we haven't met any conditions yet, even the ones such as kickboxing, Muay Thai and Sambo may never get in even though recognised.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What?!! Kickboxing, Muay Thai too violent for them?? I don't follow Olympics, I saw a Tai Kwon Do match one time, they only kick, no punches. I know TKD, we do more than that. Is there some rules against punching?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What?!! Kickboxing, Muay Thai too violent for them?? I don't follow Olympics, I saw a Tai Kwon Do match one time, they only kick, no punches. I know TKD, we do more than that. Is there some rules against punching?

Must Thai isn't too violent for the Olympics, it's been recognised as a sport that could be in the Olympics. It just needs a host country to choose bring it in.
The hold up for MMA is all procedural, we need one international committee in charge with at least 50 affiliated national authorities. Everything has to be standardised, from the fight rules (many follow the UFC ones with their own bits added or taken away) to the referees and judges training. There'll have to be qualifications for all officials then the gloves, shorts, tops, etc all standardised. Cage or ring? Some fight promotions have rings because they are cheaper to get hold of. Official drug testing, then the organisations have to sign up to uphold 'Olympic values'. Most of this isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's going to take a lot of organising worldwide, I don't know if it's possible, at least for a long time.

Latest Discussions