Old to Wado new to Koryu Bujustu

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a schizophrenic martial artist.

I have studied, trained in and taught traditional Wado ryu karate over the last 25 years – and am not keen on cross pollination of Karate styles.

However, I also enjoy researching (and more recently training in) Koryu Bujutsu - or classical warrior arts of Japan.

Let’s see how this goes.

Gary

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Gary, welcome aboard. Koryu, huh.... any particular interest?

Oh, and just a friendly heads-up, your choice of screen name may stir some memories for some people here, just so you know. Don't be too surprised if you are mistaken for another (former) member...

OP
Sojobo

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Gary, welcome aboard. Koryu, huh.... any particular interest?

Oh, and just a friendly heads-up, your choice of screen name may stir some memories for some people here, just so you know. Don't be too surprised if you are mistaken for another (former) member...

Hello Chris,

Sorry to hear my choice of name may be controversial - I will do my best to avoid unnecessary contention :)

Reference Koryu:

I studied a little Daito-ryu (which included a small amount of sword work in it). This wet my appetite, but the training times were awkward for me (taking into account my Wado training and teaching).

Recently however, I have been lucky enough to find an instructor who was prepared to teach me in his school. The name of the Koryu is Sosuishi-ryu. It is a Bujutsu that encompasses close quarter fighting (with or without weapons) and sword usage.

As I said - I am completely new to it, and I enjoy being new to something again and the challenges that presents.

Gary

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, let's see, you have a total of three posts (so far!), and you are already miles beyond your predecessor! So little risk there, I feel.

Sosuishi Ryu Kogusoku Koshi na Mawari? Brilliant! Who with, whereabouts, all that stuff? There's Dennis Fink in New York, Steve Delaney in the UK, an Australian branch in New South Wales under the direction of Patricia Harrington from memory... are you with any of these people, or someone else?

Fascinating system, very closely linked with Takenouchi Ryu, which was also a huge influence on one of the systems taught in the Ninjutsu-related organisations (Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu). Great to have you on board!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Gary, off to a good start is always a big plus. This site is awesome, enjoy.

OP
Sojobo

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, let's see, you have a total of three posts (so far!), and you are already miles beyond your predecessor! So little risk there, I feel.

Wow, what did my predecessor do?? I guess I shouldn't ask.

Sosuishi Ryu Kogusoku Koshi na Mawari? Brilliant! Who with, whereabouts, all that stuff? There's Dennis Fink in New York, Steve Delaney in the UK, an Australian branch in New South Wales under the direction of Patricia Harrington from memory... are you with any of these people, or someone else?

Fascinating system, very closely linked with Takenouchi Ryu, which was also a huge influence on one of the systems taught in the Ninjutsu-related organisations (Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu). Great to have you on board!

I've started training with Steve Delaney at his Chelsea Dojo - Awesome stuff. Last couple of times its just been me and Steve (for 4 hours at a time) - it is very intense but I love it.

@ seasoned: Thanks for the welcome.

Gary

Gary

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, if you want to put yourself through such an experience, have a little wander through the "American Ninjitsu" archived section.... by training with Steve you are already far more aware of the culture surrounding Japanese martial arts, so simply by association you are in a much better position. Steve requires you to learn Japanese, as I understand, and he is frankly an absolute wealth of information, you are in a position that many would give much to be in (yes, there's more than a hint of jealousy there....). If Rich is training in Chelsea, say hi from me!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Gary. Nice to see another schizophrenic martial artist here. ;) Glad you joined us!

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a schizophrenic martial artist.

I have studied, trained in and taught traditional Wado ryu karate over the last 25 years – and am not keen on cross pollination of Karate styles.

However, I also enjoy researching (and more recently training in) Koryu Bujutsu - or classical warrior arts of Japan.

Let’s see how this goes.

Gary

Welcome to MT Gary,

I certainly know how hard it is to re-train in a new style, everything just seems differend and somewhat "odd". I look forward to your input on our discussions here at MT!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...

Latest Discussions