Official Curriculum

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mike,

There is no "official" curriculum per se.

However, the Kukkiwon has a sample curriculum in the textbook which (without looking at it as I'm at work) essentially has 9 guep ranks the last 8 of which have a Taeguek form requirement. There are other requirements for sparring-3 steps, 1 steps, free-sparring.

There is also a sample Dan curriculum. Again, there is an assigned poomsae for each Dan rank (e.g. Koryo for 1st dan) as well as other subjects for various ranks. The overall idea is that Taekwondo is a life-long journey and you have different places to visit and subjects to learn as you travel.

Hope this helps.

Miles

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Miles. The only "set" curriculum that I know of are the forms (Taegeuks) and the rules in sparring. Every Kukki-TKD school is different. We do one steps, but they are nothing like the Kukki manual, the same goes for self defense (we do Chin Na and Thai boxing type stuff).

When I did TSD, all the fed schools all did the same stuff (forms, one steps, ect), except for self defense. My instructor made those up from Thai boxing and Hapkido. But we still passed our tests (if we knew our stuff that is).

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure, dojangs like most academic institutions do have their own curriculums. Like in areas like their specialized testing requirements, one steps self-defense, combo-sparring techs. However, given a dojang's affiliation, most dojangs do follow certain guidelines on teaching our MA, and it's based on the dojang's affiliation. For example, Taeguek, Palgue poomse are a given for a Kukkiwon dojang. You must learn those forms in most Kukkiwon dojangs. Black forms are also a given if you train in my certifying org. Koryo, Kumgang,Taebek, etc., etc., must be learned and mastered to your best ability to continue to promote to the next dan level.

Each dojang is different, but, most do follow guidelines set by their parent affiliations, be it ATA, ITF. etc.

:asian: