Observations of Olympic martial arts

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
multitasking. i didn't know what to prefer.
13939373_584413581767352_7496570000645933639_n.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrestling every time! I find the Olympic TKD tiresome, it's foot fencing. I don't feel it's a good representation of TKD and it's boring.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
when its getting aggressive, tkd looks spectacular. :p but i also wouldn't ever tell someone, this is how to fight. :D even the wrestlers have a better guard and there's not even striking involved. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had a lot of public discord in Olympic TKD here, at the last Olympics they chose a selector's son was chosen over the world champion. that resulted in threatened court cases and a lot of bad publicity, the world champion left the country and now competes for Moldavia though I didn't see him in Rio. The one chosen instead of him has just got a silver after going on about getting a gold so he was crying everywhere last night. It was all a bit embarrassing.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
did someone see the female, i think it was heavyweight-, bout korea vs france? there one could see corruption at its best.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did see something interesting in the TKD: It was the end of the gold medal match and one fighter was ahead 6:4, there was 1 second to go and then the fighter that had the score of 4 scored a spinning head kick and won 8:6 and it was that county's first ever gold medal in the Olympics. It will be big news over there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did see something interesting in the TKD: It was the end of the gold medal match and one fighter was ahead 6:4, there was 1 second to go and then the fighter that had the score of 4 scored a spinning head kick and won 8:6 and it was that county's first ever gold medal in the Olympics. It will be big news over there.

I think that was the British lad that lost, the one whose father was the Olympic selector, it was against Cote d'Ivoire who I'd seen in his semi and he was very good then.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that was the British lad that lost, the one whose father was the Olympic selector, it was against Cote d'Ivoire who I'd seen in his semi and he was very good then.
I think the gold medal was for the Ivory Coast. Oh wait Cote d'lvoire is the Ivory Coast and not the fighters name.:shamefullyembarrased:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We've had a lot of public discord in Olympic TKD here, at the last Olympics they chose a selector's son was chosen over the world champion. that resulted in threatened court cases and a lot of bad publicity, the world champion left the country and now competes for Moldavia though I didn't see him in Rio. The one chosen instead of him has just got a silver after going on about getting a gold so he was crying everywhere last night. It was all a bit embarrassing.

To be fair to him, if I lost the Olympic title in the last second of the match I would cry my eyes out just as hard. That said, I haven't really paid too much attention to the Olympics Martial Arts, as the only one that really interests me is TKD and it is by far the most boring to watch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair to him, if I lost the Olympic title in the last second of the match I would cry my eyes out just as hard.

As would I but in private, I'd smile like hell until I could go away and be on my own.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
man, the uzb vs mgl 65 kilo's wrestling bronze match hahaha did you see that?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got one real comment to the O/P, which is...

It's not really Olympic Martial Arts its the Olympic Games.... games, as in it has a rule system which can be strategized, manipulated, and used in order to score, or keep the other from scoring and thus, win.

I was on vacation during all the judo, so will have to get the highlights on the next 101 Ippons when Fighting Films puts it out.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A generalisation, but I get your point. My observations:

Judo - tight gi holds, very modified takedown techniques and joint lock defence by hugging yourself and waiting for the referee.

Can you describe "very modified takedown techniques" and how it differs from Judo?

OP
pinklady6000

pinklady6000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know savate was an event, but if you have nbc available as part of your package, you can watch the non-televised events through this website Olympic Live Streams & Schedule.
Yes, the savate, It was not on. It was at the London event as a demonstration sport. I found this out after your post.
It did not have sufficient interest to run it. A similar thing happened with the wrestling, it was going to be dropped, but enough people raised protest.

OP
pinklady6000

pinklady6000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After my opening post, which was a bit derogatory. I would like to say that the skill level rose, as the finals approached and I started to enjoy it more.

The boxing was a bit strange as my family would say, " who won that?" I would say the guy in blue and embarrassingly it would be the guy in red!:shamefullyembarrased:

I enjoyed the wrestling, especially the Japanese women as they carried the trainer around the gym in celebration.

The fencing was good too, as the green or red light came on, so there was know doubt who had scored the point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the fencing. I found it really interesting to go back and watch the points in slow motion. They moved so fast sometimes it was hard to see the point scored at normal speed. At least for me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the savate, It was not on. It was at the London event as a demonstration sport. I found this out after your post.

Where did you see this because there were no demonstrations sports at the London Olympics?

The boxing was a bit strange as my family would say, " who won that?" I would say the guy in blue and embarrassingly it would be the guy in red

You were most likely actually right, the judging was terrible and often the wrong one was awarded they fight.

OP
pinklady6000

pinklady6000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where did you see this because there were no demonstrations sports at the London Olympics?

OMG! You are right. It was the games before: beijing.(but there looks like a cover up, as it seems to be not mentioned on the internet?!). I remember watching it on tv but with the lack of evidence I am beginning to doubt myself.

You were most likely actually right, the judging was terrible and often the wrong one was awarded they fight.

Yes, the decisions were dubeous but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of watching it.