NY may ban trans fat??

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don pretty much hit the bullseye.

There are all sorts of things out there that can be bad for you, but taken in moderation, they're fairly harmless.

Will trans-fatty acids kill you? Of course, if all you eat is deep fried chicken that was cooked in melted shortening, or if you chomp down on a couple dozens of cookies that were baked using shortening, etc. However, eating a fried chicken dinner here and there, or enjoying a few cookies, isn't going to kill you.

It's all about the individual taking responsibility for his own actions. If someone gorges on KFC day in, day out, and then tops it off with no excercise, while plopping down on the couch to watch Oprah, munching on bon-bon's, then that's the choice of the individual. However, when that heart attack commences, there will be a moment in time where a bit of reckoning occurs. The individual will either thing "dang, I shouldn't have eaten that badly throughout the years" if he has a sense of responsibility, or will bleat "Cursed fast food places! They're trying to kill me!" if he is the type to try to pass the buck.

All I can say, is that the local government (or state, or federal) should butt out when comes to people eating what they want to eat. The last thing most of us here would ever want, is a miserable society like the one pictured in that awful Sylvester Stallone movie, "Demolition Man."

I'll be the first one to admit, that I enjoy my food, and that once in a long while, I'll splurge to buy me a thick cut of prime grade ribeye steak, rub in some raw horseradish root, grill it over hickory coals to medium rare perfection, and the top it with some steak butter and seasoned salt. I'll also enjoy a baked potato with sour cream and butter on the side, while washing it down with a couple draughts of cold Boddington's pub ale. Then I'll finish off this fine meal with a fine dessert of freshly baked peach cobbler with a nice heaping scoop of home made ice cream. Not the healthiest, which is why such a meal only comes maybe once every two months (that plus the cost...).

However, rest assured, for the next few days, I will take those extra hours of training. I know how bad the above meal is, and I will take steps to work it off. It's MY responsibility to make sure that I live a healthy life, and if those meals somehow end up killing me, then that's my own fault, nobody else's. I had the choice not to eat such meals, and I have the choice to engage in more excercise.

On a similar note, remember...

Sturm-Ruger should not be held responsible for the actions of Colin Fergeson. Fergeson had every chance in the world to do the right thing, and instead, chose to commit criminal acts.

The Jack Daniels Distillery should not be held responsible for the incident in Chappaquidick. That was entirely the fault of the driver, who had every chance in the world to not get horribly intoxicated, and even had the chance to save the drowning passenger, but chose poorly...

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm shocked that people are arguing in favor of something the FDA never should have approved.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe your opinion would be swayed if you knew the following:

• More than half of NYC adults are overweight or obese
  • Nearly half of all NYC elementary school kids are overweight or obese
  • 20% of 4-5 year olds entering kindergarten in NYC are obese
  • 1/3 to 1/2 of 5 year olds are expected to develop diabetes
  • Up until a few years ago, Type 2 diabetes, associated with obesity, was never seen in kids. Now it is being diagnosed in kids as young as 2 years old.
  • Diabetes costs NYC over $9 billion per year.
  • Trans fats increase the complications of diabetes, and contribute to heart disease.
So I'm not surprised that the NYC Dept of Health takes the issue of trans fats VERY seriously. Trans fats are an unnecessary health hazard, and I'm glad they were banned.

As for tobacco, smoking was banned in most public places in NYC, and the Dept of Health provided nicotine patches free. Not surprisingly, smoking has decreased among New Yorkers.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score

• Up until a few years ago, Type 2 diabetes, associated with obesity, was never seen in kids. Now it is being diagnosed in kids as young as 2 years old.
  • Trans fats increase the complications of diabetes, and contribute to heart disease.
So I'm not surprised that the NYC Dept of Health takes the issue of trans fats VERY seriously. Trans fats are an unnecessary health hazard, and I'm glad they were banned.

As for tobacco, smoking was banned in most public places in NYC, and the Dept of Health provided nicotine patches free. Not surprisingly, smoking has decreased among New Yorkers.

Nope my opinion is still the same...but thanks for the info...

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm shocked that people are arguing in favor of something the FDA never should have approved.

I don't think anyone is arguing in favor of trans fats. We're arguing in favor of being able to choose to eat them, without government interference, even though we know they aren't good for us.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I understand the health costs associated with obesity.

If they wanted to control the quality of the food and what was served for the kids at school I could see this as the kids are a captured audience.

Yet, I noticed you said most places. What if I am on my bike or in my convertibel and I am behind a smoker, I am serious I would rather be behind a dirty diesel then a smoker. But that is my concern.

Good info, with the assumption that is is all true and not skewed to make a point. :)

Thanks

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not in my experience. I work with a vegan and he spends less on food than anyone else it seems.

I would like to see what he is purchasing. Here in the states is it far cheaper to buy hot dogs and mac&cheese to feed bunch of hungry mouths when one has less paycheck than there is week. Fortunately, I don't fall into that category, however many people do. I was just shopping today and I tell you, it isn't cheap to buy veggies and good lean meat. Yes, good meat is expensive, so I am sure if he is vegan, he doesn't have that issue to contend with and probably does spend less than yourself and others. However, that is an exception, IMO.

The rest of what you said, I agree with for sure. I was just being devil's advocate on this. Regardless, passing that law did nothing but give the politicians something slap themselves on the shoulder and get the warm fuzzy for.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Nope, not in the least.

We are saying that people are too stupid to make choices for themselves. That is the road to tyranny. If people can't be trusted to put the right type of food in their mouths, they can't be trusted with the vote.

And I notice that a lot of the voices I hear pushing for things like this belong to two main catagories.

The first is those that seem to say, certainly I can be trusted to make the right choice. So I don't have to worry. But we have to worry about the vast majority of folks that are less intelligent then we and take care of them.

And I think they are elitist pigs.

The other group is those that want to say, I can't be blamed for the consequences of my bad choices. I can't be stupid. These things that happen to me must be the fault of someone else and we need the government to force them to stop oppressing me!

Quite simply put, I should be able to eat whatever I want if I choose to do so. If I want to go into a place to eat it is just between me and the restraunt as to what I eat, the rest of you bug out! If I want to have sex with a man it is no concern of yours. If I want to worship Islam, it is no concern of yours. And if I want to have a super sized Big Mac it is no concern of yours.

And unlike the elitists, I will give that same right to choose what they want to do to everyone else instead of thinking that only I should make the choices for myself and others. I may think that there are some people that are stupid (ever see the ratings for daytime talk shows- there are a lot of morons out there) but I will not treat them any different that I would want to be treated.

And people that want to deprive others of the choice to make their choices about what they eat would all scream bloody murder if some government determined that their martial art was not worth the risk and banned it in the same name of taking care of their health.

Hey, what about booze! With trans fat you can sit down and gorge yourself all day, walk away and be fine. The only real danger comes from doing that too regularly. You can't say that with booze. You say that trans fat are, and I quote, "an unnecessary health hazard, and I'm glad they were banned."

Well, they give some of us pleasure. Beer gives some of us pleasure and we honestly could live without it just like trans fat. The damage and harm that alchohol abuse causes has to be much greater than that done by trans fat. How long before we start getting rid of booze for our own good?!?!?!

To hell with those that want to save us from ourselves! If I want to smoke a cigar, drink a beer and munch on donuts until I burst, your only concern is if I somehow impact your life with my actions. If I do not impact you, you have no say whatsoever in what I do! If I want to engage in something with a consenting adult, that is my business whether we are talking about praying with them, having sex with them or ordering a hamburger from them.

If you want to complain about how health costs are affecting you, then stop the system that makes us pay for the consequences of stupid people instead of chaining us to them and then limiting our choices so that even the stupidest person can't hurt himself.

You know what I am going to do? I am going to grab a cigar, somesingle malt Scotch and a few cans of beer and bring home a super sized McDonald's meal and I am going to enjoy ever last bite, swig and puff and anyone that objects can kindly get some exercise by jumping in the lake for all I care!

Latest Discussions