Numbers Of Americans Going Hungry Going Up

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
USDA: Number of Americans going hungry increases

WASHINGTON – More than one in seven American households struggled to put enough food on the table in 2008, the highest number since the U.S. Department of Agriculture began tracking food security levels in 1995.
That's 14.6 percent of U.S. households, or about 49 million people. The numbers are a significant increase from 2007, when 11.1 percent of U.S. households suffered from what USDA classifies as "food insecurity" — not having enough food for an active, healthy lifestyle.
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said the numbers could be higher in 2009 because of the global economic slowdown.
"This report suggests its time for America to get very serious about food security and hunger," Vilsack told reporters during a conference call.
The USDA said Monday that 5.7 percent of those who struggled for food experienced "very low food security," meaning household members reduced their food intake.
The numbers dovetail with dire economic conditions for many Americans. And they may not take the full measure of America's current struggles with hunger: Vilsack and the report's lead author, Mark Nord with USDA's economic research service, both emphasized that the numbers reflected the situation in 2008 and that the economy's continued troubles in 2009 would likely mean higher numbers next year.

More here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091116/ap_on_bi_ge/us_hunger_report

As if we don't have enough troubles as is... now what?

"Research on previous economic recessions indicates that people who fall into the grips of poverty in a time of recession do not recover financially."
Makes me damn glad that I have my job even as minimum wage that it is... Makes things less difficult I suppose. Still my hours are being cut and will continue to be less since we aren't that busy (tourism business) and thusly I will have to re-apply for food-stamps to ensure there is enough on the table.

"There's an opportunity here for the country to make a major commitment to focus on ways we can improve this process and make sure that food is safe and available for everyone," he said.
Opportunity knocks indeed... is anyone going to get the door?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its ok Caver, once we have Manditory health care, we can all get checked into the hospital for Malnutrition and get free meals. Its a win-win, right?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have plenty of food, our tax dollars subsidize it every year.

Look up "agricultural adjustment". It'll be an interesting eye opener and probably disgust you in how the US Government controls production, as well as buys up and then destroys millions of tons of perfectly edible food.

In the 1980s, the USDA ordered the annual destruction of: * 50 million lemons ® 100 million pounds of raisins ® 1 billion oranges
Source:
The politically incorrect guide to American history By Thomas E. Woods Page 148

They even have quota's on raisins.

Latest Discussions