An Atheist Defends Religion

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting read.

http://www.zenit.org/rssenglish-27550
ROME, NOV. 15, 2009 (Zenit.org).- The Catholic Church is one of the greatest forces for evil in the world, at least according to atheist Richard Dawkins. This is just the latest of many volleys by him against religion and God.
His remarks were published Oct. 23 on the religion section of the Washington Post's Web site, when he was asked to comment on the move by the Catholic Church to facilitate the entry of Anglicans.
Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens, who argued the negative case, enjoyed a substantial win over their opponents -- Ann Widdecombe, a conservative party parliamentarian, and Archbishop Onaiyekan of Abuja in Nigeria -- obtaining 1,876 votes against 268.
Another recent example comes from Australia columnist where Catherine Deveny put God on the psychiatrist's couch and proclaimed that: "God has narcissistic personality disorder."
In "An Atheist Defends Religion: Why Humanity is Better Off with Religion Than Without It," (Alpha Books), Bruce Sheiman offers a new perspective to the contest between believers and atheists.
The "God question" can't be resolved to the satisfaction of the contending sides, he states but what Sheiman does set out to do is to consider the value of religion itself. He does not seek to prove God exists, but defends religion as a cultural institution.
Regarding his personal views, Sheiman explains that he is not a person of faith, but he does not "stridently repudiate God." He describes himself as an "aspiring theist" because "religion provides a combination of psychological, emotional, moral communal, existential, and even physical-health benefits that no other institution can replicate."

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an atheist, I really don't give a damn what anyone else believes. Worship Bugs Bunny for all I care, as long as you are not a prick.

What about atheists who are pricks?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score

There seems to be no shortage of those. On the internet at least. Seems like every "atheist post" I come across is condescending, smug, self-righteous, belittling....and on and on. Sometimes I get the impression that many atheists enjoy wielding their opinion because it makes them the "smart ones" amongst all us "superstitious savages".

Im sure that many Atheists are not that way and it's only the vocal ones that come across like this, but it seems to me that quite a few have as many social issues as we "believers" do.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There seems to be no shortage of those. On the internet at least. Seems like every "atheist post" I come across is condescending, smug, self-righteous, belittling....and on and on.

That's the main reason I dropped my reading of Boing-Boing. Once a favorite magazine, later a decent blogazine, and finally a snark-fest of self-loathing asshats who only seem to gain pleasure from hurting as many people as possible. Disgusting little creeps.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah, what about them? You've got pricks of all types and belief systems. I can't speak for them, much like I can't expect you to speak for christians.

I find religion as ridiculous as many other atheists, but at the same time I realize it's not my place to point fingers and make fun of other people's deal. I also do take issue with the religious who belittle, speak ill of or try to convert someone who's obviously an atheist. Why do people feel the need to wave their religion or lack thereof around like it's the flag? How about waving the flag!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im sure that many Atheists are not that way and it's only the vocal ones

This is a perception problem. You accept hours of religious programming, crosses and ten commandment displays at public buildings, prayers at all sorts of public events, etc., but if a person who is not religious seeks 'equal time' then it's problematic and offensive.

Attachments

• $1mt.jpg
    $1mt.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 218

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What sort of "display" would an atheist have??

And I really don't see all these "hours of religious programming" out there. A nativity at X-mass or a prayer before a graduation ceremony is far from a "daily event".

I've seen far more "snarky behavior" from atheists than I have from any religious.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, I think it's a matter of perception. I see religious messages everywhere I go, and people who think it's fine to pray at my lunch table but not for me to discuss evolution as though it were a valid theory there.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
But why should there be a prayer at a graduation unless it's at a religious school? I've seen prayers given at college graduations and the audience is a mixed crowd of all faiths and considering it's not a religious school it serves of purpose but to stroke the christians egos rather than getting on with the ceremony. As I said before, faith should be a private matter or kept to your houses of worship.

No atheist ever knocked at my door trying to convince me about anything. Yet somehow with my apartment in a gated community somehow christians are ringing my doorbell every Sunday at the dumbest hours trying to save me. Didn't save me, in fact it cost me ... sleep!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.No atheist ever knocked at my door trying to convince me about anything.

That's a good point. We get alot of Jahovah Witnesses coming to the door. Nicest people in the world, but they apparently never learned the words, "no thank you". Unfortunately, have to slam the door in their face after the 7th or 8th "no thank you". I'm not an atheist, but I don't like the hard sell on religion at my door, or anywhere else for that matter. My beliefs are my private business and that's the way I like to keep it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Atheist documentary makers go door-to-door in Salt Lake City to get back at Mormons who woke them up one morning:
[yt]CMXD4iwklcI[/yt]

The good stuff starts at about 2:45 in. My wife posted this on her FB page and it cost her several Mormon friends.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There seems to be no shortage of those. On the internet at least. Seems like every "atheist post" I come across is condescending, smug, self-righteous, belittling....and on and on. Sometimes I get the impression that many atheists enjoy wielding their opinion because it makes them the "smart ones" amongst all us "superstitious savages".

Perhaps they just enjoy having an opinion based upon observation and disproveability rather than mysticism?

Im sure that many Atheists are not that way and it's only the vocal ones that come across like this, but it seems to me that quite a few have as many social issues as we "believers" do.

The real question is what made them that way and why the fierce combativeness exists towards the organised religions.

It's not hard to see why that is.

As an interesting aside, have we reached a point where the proportion of the global population that is 'religious' is now officially a minority? Or has the Enlightenment still not done it's work?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry but this guy is no atheist. In reading the article it obvious he's a theist.

There are many arguments we can play out here boys and girls, but lets be honest, There are a half dozen of us on the atheist side here and another half dozen on the theist side here, and then we'll get the odd nutbar throwning in their 2 cents worth and after 12 pages or so, the whole thread will tetter out with no one a clear winner.

Maybe someone can cut and paste all our past discussions together? i'm kinda lazy tonight...:)

Sorry, its 11:34 pm, i have to get up in 6 hours. I'm going to bed. Good night.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As an atheist, I really don't give a damn what anyone else believes. Worship Bugs Bunny for all I care, as long as you are not a prick.

I`m a devout christian (well, more or less devout but trying to be better) and I can tell you I`ve met far more pricks who claim to be christian than I have pricks who claim to be atheists. I wonder if it`s because believers outnumber nonbeleivers in general, or just because more of us are pricks?

Either way I enjoy hearing what other people beleive or think, and enjoying the differences along with the similarities. I think we`d get along great.

Reminds me of when a Lebanese friend of mine stood up for me and told his Jordanian lab partner " Dave doesn`t treat you like an ******* because you`re a Muslim. He treats you like an ******* because he thinks you, individually and specifically, are an *******. And today I think he may be right."

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may also have to do with the fact that atheists don't claim any central belief or morality system. Christians and all other religions claim to be good people, treat others kindly, etc etc etc, then turn out to be pricks. I know a lot more people who claim to be devout christians who are jerks than any other belief system.......but they are SUPPOSED to be nice!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may also have to do with the fact that atheists don't claim any central belief or morality system. Christians and all other religions claim to be good people, treat others kindly, etc etc etc, then turn out to be pricks. I know a lot more people who claim to be devout christians who are jerks than any other belief system.......but they are SUPPOSED to be nice!

Who said Christians are supposed to be nice? There's no 'be nice' commandment. The basic requirements of Christianity vary by denomination, but most center around belief in God, and acceptance of His son, Jesus Christ, as one's personal savior. Some denominations also require baptism.

That covers what it takes to 'be' a Christian, but what are Christians supposed to 'do'?

Having been released from obedience to most of Mosaic law, there remained mainly the Ten Commandments, which are still in force for Christians. They describe how to worship God and how to relate to others in terms of what not to do to them (not steal, not kill, not commit adultery, not bear false witness, etc). Christians additionally believe that Jesus reinforced the 'Great Commandment' paraphrased as 'love God with all your being, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.'

The so-called 'Golden Rule' is common to many ancient religions, including Christianity. Basically, it is 'Treat others as you would prefer to be treated'. One would expect, however, that this is not strictly a 'be nice to others' rule. What if one likes to be whipped and beaten? It is more of a simplification of the basic premise of treating others honestly, fairly and with respect than a commandment to 'be nice'.

Many people believe that it is a Christian requirement to be polite, courteous, friendly, happy, and meek. Even some Christians believe that. However, it is based on misunderstandings of the laws Christians have been given. We are required to be forgiving, loving, and to treat others honestly, fairly, and with respect. We don't have to be nice, and we don't have to be meek. For those of us who believe, when Jesus comes again, He will carry a sword. It won't be very nice.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not religious, I'm spiritual.

My bond is between Allah and me only. No man should be between Him and me. Too much possebility of corruption and political stuff which I surely wouldn't agree with.

A very distinct difference that most Atheists don't make.
Religion and spirituality, a world of difference.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the way religion is brought up in conversation. Other than practical matters, many people don't talk about religion in mixed company unless they are in a focused group of like-minded people they are trying to sway another person to their way of thinking.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The great difficulty for Christians, I believe, is that they don't seem to understand that the God of the Old Testament is simply not the same one as in the New Testament. Makes things tricky.

As for the overall discussion, I think there is 'religion', a cultural institution, and then there's 'theism', which is bound up in spiritual pursuits.

I can't help but be a theist when I look at the ocean or at the stars or at other people and ponder how it is all so interconnected.

Latest Discussions