Not quite sure about this one . . .

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't decided how I feel about this one --
Ore. teacher challenging prohibition on guns

Mind you, it's already legal for CCW holders to carry a gun on school property here, this is just regarding school policy. (She could be fired for having it.)

It has a couple of advantages, but it could end up very bad, as well.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If she's a law-abiding citizen, and has a concealed carry permit, then I see no reason why she shouldn't be trusted. She's already a teacher; someone who we trust to educate our children.

Any kind of policies forbidding firearms on the school grounds won't affect the criminals, because they simply don't obey such rules.

Law abiding firearms owners can make a huge difference. After all, one need only look at the incident where assistant principal Joel Myrick was able to stop a rampaging attacker using a firearm.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Bear, meaning carry, not big fuzzy critter...
I don't see anything there about; except in schools, as long as you don't live in NYC or DC, etc.
Had a few Virginia Tech students or teachers been armed, fewer people may have died. Had passengers on any of the 4 flights on 9/11 been armed, history might be quite different.
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.
Mohandas Gandhi

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for her. Her ex is violent and has ignored the restraining order several times. The Medford School District hasn't even seen fit to bar him from working as a substitute at the school she teaches in. Their only suggestion is that she quit her job, leave town and move away from her family, friends and support in the hope that he will decide to be nice and leave her alone. I'm willing to bet dollars to horse turds and hold the stakes in my mouth that he won't obey a "Gun Free Schools" sign any more than he did the judge's order.

She doesn't have any good choices. Carrying a gun for a demonstrated personal self defense need is the best of her bad options.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any kind of policies forbidding firearms on the school grounds won't affect the criminals, because they simply don't obey such rules. .

Well said...With some of the schools here in Cleveland teachers should be issued Uzi's....

OP
T

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The issue's still going pretty hot here, with lots of opinion/editorials posted pretty much every day. So far public opinion seems pretty evenly divided, but it's hard to tell from the news.

To me the issue is not on a per-teacher basis - as one of the editorials pointed out today, if this woman is in fear of her life, and is around kids, then the school is responsible to protect the kids around her. I say more power to her.

The part that had me worried was from a different perspective: Most people didn't know that a CHL (Concealed handgun license, in OR) was an exception to the ban on firearms in and around schools. I only found out because I did my own homework, and stumbled across this useful bit of information.

For those who aren't familiar with the process in OR, the exception is at a federal level, See 18 D.S.C. § 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii). But, as I understand, the States have the right to remove the exemption. Oregon has simply kept quiet on the issue.

I was afraid that this would outrage a lot of people who think that a school is truly a gun-free area - but I was wrong. The exemption doesn't seem to be bothering many people. Apparently, some people tried to remove the exemption a couple of years ago, and failed.

Most of what we are getting is the old "what if she is totally irresponsible?" kind of questions, where people are afraid that a student is going to get a hold of the gun, because you know, us gun nuts apparently don't know how to keep control of our own weapon, and are likely to leave it laying around in a classroom somewhere. :banghead: One of the dumber questions that's come up is "where is she going to keep it? In her desk? In her purse under the desk?" Yeah, she's going through all the trouble to bring a gun to work, to leave it in her desk. Uh-huh.

Besides, it's "obviously impossible" that said evil students who are salivating over the chance to steal a teacher's gun could never just bring one from home, but have all of their hopes on a future life of crime pinned on a forgetful moment of their teacher.

Latest Discussions